Ham & Beans: fave recipes?

Rate this topic

48 mins ago, NedRyerson said:

Looks like you're all set.  Making stock is a something new to me but it really makes a difference in taste.  And it's nice to have a pot bubbling away all day on the stove top.

I recently read this about beef stock.  Surprising.

What's Wrong With It: Federal regulations for canned or boxed beef broth require a paltry 135-to-1 ratio of moisture to protein, and almost all options on the shelf hover around that point. The result is that most boxed or canned beef broth contains almost no beef at all, instead relying on yeast extracts to provide it with a savory aroma and flavor.

What to Get Instead: In most recipes we've tested, boxed chicken broth will provide far better flavor than boxed beef broth, even for traditionally beef broth–based dishes like beef stew or onion soup. This is because, despite the fact that there is no minimum protein requirement set by the USDA, most boxed or canned chicken broth contains around 60 parts liquid to 1 part protein, twice as much as in beef broth. If you really want a deeper beef flavor without having to make your own stock, I'd recommend Better Than Bouillon Beef Base, which lasts forever in the fridge and contains a fair amount of actual beef, along with plenty of other flavor enhancers, to give it a rich, hearty flavor. The only downside is that it also contains lots of sodium, which makes it impossible to reduce like a traditional beef stock.

Thanks,

So basically, buying boxed beef stock is a waste. For all soups and stews, I’m noticing that a good, strong, home made stock makes all the difference.

Ive also noticed that you can mess it up by putting the wrong stuff in. 
I do like Better Than Boullion, but it is awfully salty. Gotta be careful to not over do it. As Steve knows, not overdoing anything is a challenge for me.

Another thing I leaned about stock is, the more bones, joints & connective tissue the better. I always cute them up to access the marrow and more connective tissue from joints. Hacking stuff up w/ a cleaver is kind of fun, but it makes a mess. 

Currently, I’m skimming off copious amounts of fat. Gonna wait till that dies down before adding veggies & herbs.

I’ll give updates on progress.

Best Regards,

JD

Edited by jjdbike

27 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

made this for the first time today...

Cool,

Let us know how you did it and how it turned out.

He's my stock ready to cool and strain.

Gotta get the beans soaking.

Best Regards.

JD

IMG_1520.jpg

Edited by jjdbike

Jim - perhaps not so much with the pork as it has been smoked, but when you make beef stock, you will get a lot more flavor if you roast the bones in the oven for a bit before using them in the stock.

Also, something that was recommended to me by someone her a long time ago (saw it again when the onion soup thread was bumped) is try adding mushrooms to the stock pot. Dried would be best, but fresh, or even some that were leftover raw and have started to kinda shrivel are fine.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

1 min ago, Steve in Mass said:

Jim - perhaps not so much with the pork as it has been smoked, but when you make beef stock, you will get a lot more flavor if you roast the bones in the oven for a bit before using them in the stock.

Also, something that was recommended to me by someone her a long time ago (saw it again when the onion soup thread was bumped) is try adding mushrooms to the stock pot. Dried would be best, but fresh, or even some that were leftover raw and have started to kinda shrivel are fine.

Thanks Steve,

Yes I like what roasting does to bones and many vegetables.

Here's my plan for today:

1. Brown / render some bacon in the stock pot, remove bacon, leave fat.
  2. Brown the veggies and ham a little in the bacon fat.
  3. Start some of the beans and veggies in stock till tender.
  4. Puree w/ emersion blender.
  5. Add more beans, ham and rest of veggies.
  6. Test /adjust seasoning.
  7. Simmer till beans a tender.