bass40

Delaware River help

22 posts in this topic

Not looking for specific locations. I have a place in walpack valley nj.  What are some of the targeted species up that way on the Delaware. Thanks

So you plan on fishing around the pburg - Easton stretch of the river?

Small and lm bass, walleye muskie, pickerel, trout, catfish and right now shad 

Striped bass too

Wade a stretch and learn it.  The Big D offers lots of fishing opportunities for those willing to put in the time.

Lots of shad people out now (or there would be during a normal time)

Stay safe and have fun

I fish around that area a lot from shore  - smallies, beautiful wild browns, muskies, walleye and shad.  

for smallies and browns fish the softer seems close to shore - cast a natural colored jerkbait straight upstream along the soft inside seam and work it back to you slowly as possible. Look for boulders coming out of the water creating a “ soft spot “ on the downstream side and work those slowly and from several angles.   All the browns I caught up there this year have been in water slightly above knee depth so u don’t need to wade out far.  You do need waders as the banks are muddy.

If i were you I’d be fishing right now as the river is the perfect depth to wade. Generally the river is 2 to 3 times the volume it is now so it’s truly a rare treat to Be able to wade the Delaware in that area this time of year.  Get yourself the APP called Freestone ( it’s free ) it tells you the river flow in CFS as well as the water temps.  See the attached photo - the river at Dingmans is 6050 CFS right now and 51 degrees Fahrenheit- perfect temps for browns. Also in the photo you will see the river is LOW it’s usually 12,800 CFS and bigger this time of year, at that level it’s to fast and dangerous to wade.   Anything below 8500 CFS is safe to wade - you do not need to wade far from shore - about knee deep is perfect.  

‘’this time of year I pretty much just throw jerkbaits in the 4” plus range and have caught smallies, browns and hooked up on Muskies but got bit off on those.  

‘You won’t get big numbers of browns on the Delaware but you get quality.  

‘’Gear wise u need waders, a 7’ spin rod capable of throwing 1/2 to 3/4 ounce jerkbaits and 10 to 15 # floro leader.  As far as jerkbaits I use Husky Jerks and X Raps in natural colors. Anything with an olive hue is good. 

Also, if you said you’d be staying in Walpack - try the Flatbrook River - it’s right there.  There’s areas so isolated along that stream and it has plenty of stocked trout, hold overs and a few wild fish that swim up from the Delaware.  If u get a away from the parking areas you can fish miles of stream in a natural,setting with out seeing people. 

‘’Good luck and reach out to me if you have any questions.  

E9FC4E47-7993-4895-ADA6-BA342AD8F4B4.jpeg

F08DF78F-4B0B-400A-B558-926CCD23CC57.jpeg

ED533F6B-7F67-48ED-AA56-FEC1B6F38BDE.jpeg

2F51662D-0C8E-4239-87A0-2853C1A84CBD.jpeg

1A6CEEFE-F853-4E8C-8A60-D799E126A8DD.jpeg

378740EE-F43F-46FA-9F7E-5E0C27115465.jpeg

Also, if it’s bright and sunny focus on smallies in slower water working a jerkbait nice and slow - cast quartering up stream - reel fast to take up the slack and work the bait back to you slowly with a twitch - twitch - pause, slowly taking up the slack and repeat. 

‘’With the lower water conditions the browns generally won’t bite in the bright sun light.  Once the sun is off the water you can start focusing on the browns.  

‘’if it’s cloudy I primarily focus on the browns.  

The Dingmans pool is a well known shad holding spot and walleye spot.  

2 hours ago, libertyminded said:

Awesome info, you are a good guy! Love the flatbrook.. is that an app pictured?

Yes the App is called Freestone Outdoors.  It provides data for river flows and tides. It just pulls data from the USGS but it’s very convenient because you save your favorite spots pull them up on your phone in seconds. Awesome APP

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/freestone-outdoors/id1410003019

the Flatbrook is a special place.  

Lots of great info. I appreciate it.  And yes the Flatbrook is awesome to fish especially when you get off the beaten path.  My family has had a place up there for over 50 yrs we never fished the Delaware but the plan is to start trying. 

21 mins ago, bass40 said:

Lots of great info. I appreciate it.  And yes the Flatbrook is awesome to fish especially when you get off the beaten path.  My family has had a place up there for over 50 yrs we never fished the Delaware but the plan is to start trying. 

Walpack is a special place forgotten by time - so few homesteads didn’t survive the Tocks Island Dam project buy out. 

Good luck on the Delaware - its going to be a tough go the next few days with the high winds and the drop in water temps but don’t get discouraged - quality big fish are there. 

I’ll be up there today rigged for Muskies. 

Again, reach out if u you need more info and please report if you have success.  

Thanks for the posts NewAtlt!!
From the pics on the previous posts, is Old Mine Road closed now from the rt 80 exit?

I've fished from the gap up to Walpack Bend for many years, one of my favorite places to fish.

Even drank at the Coppermine Inn, that was an experience to say the least.
It was like going back in time :-) 

1 min ago, techyakker said:

Thanks for the posts NewAtlt!!
From the pics on the previous posts, is Old Mine Road closed now from the rt 80 exit?

I've fished from the gap up to Walpack Bend for many years, one of my favorite places to fish.

Even drank at the Coppermine Inn, that was an experience to say the least.
It was like going back in time :-) 

Yes as of Tuesday evening the entrance to Old Mine Rd from 80 was closed off.  I was the last person to leave the park according to rangers waiting for me.  

U must be old as me if you remember the Copper Mine Inn.  LOL

Unfortunately that area of the Gap has changed for the worst once the temps warm up - savages invade the park with their trash, #*@~& attitudes blasting their car stereos……I avoid that area after April to early May and move up river away from those ppl. 

If you knew the Copper Mine Inn - I’ll give you bonus points if you can identify the location of this beautiful old building - name the lake it’s near. 

D0A09493-E2A2-4A7D-A623-2AEA2BA7F361.jpeg

8544B29D-6E0A-438A-96CA-02E749B59048.jpeg

I do remember passing that house many times, never stopped in there as we thought it was too "high class" :shaky:
We used to camp at Worthington in April for the shad run 

At the time I had a 14 ft Mirrocraft and would run up to Poxono, and stop at the Coppermine on the way back to "restock".

It was always interesting to hang out with the mayor of Pahaquarry Township, I think at the time there were still about 14 residents.
We caught about every freshwater fish that exist in the Northeast.
Good times and I know what you mean about the "savages", everything changes.
One time we fished just below Dunfield Creek as a hurricane was coming in, don't remember which one back in the 90's, river was rising quickly but we where hammering channel cats up to 10lbs.
Ranger came by and said we were out of our minds, then we showed him the stringer of cats we caught.
The wind was so bad I caught a big sunfish and when I brought it up it took off like a kite!!
Thanks for posting, that area is a great one, though tough to learn for sure, took us quite a while to figure out, then we go out and get the big stinker!