harborview860

Every ones fav. Worm hooks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I forget the exact details, but I believe that a guy named Gunner Brammar or something similar has a YouTube tutorial about how to use shanks to lengthen your tying platform, it might be worth looking into. 

Gamakatsu superline worm and monster worm are what I've used. They're excellent, but don't resist corrosion at all. I've been looking for a stainless substitute but nothing so far.

If I could find stainless versions every fly I tie would be on worm hooks. So far I see no reason not to. No difference in hookups I've found.

Posted (edited) · Report post

awesome hooks w/ more room than the typical worm hook up front for tying,the 2nd one is a VMC

20200331_101022mtd.jpg

20190924_093244hook.jpg

Edited by slip n slide

7 mins ago, harborview860 said:

Sexy fly. Did you use Gunners idea of flex extension for a worm hook? 

You only need to do that when the "nose" is short,this is tied w/ one of the two hooks I took pics of that have enough space up front to be able to tie w/o an extension.

I don't know how Gunnar does his extensions but I used 80lb mono w/ a "ball" melted onto the end to keep materials from sliding off the back but now that I have these two hooks I don't need to go to the trouble he does,

The wing has two long hackles tied in flatwing -style on a bucktail /flash pillow w/ flash and cashmere goat over top and a pr of shorter hackles(in this case,the chart ones) tented over the rest of the stack...gives a great 3-D profile.The collar is bucktail from the base of the tail.

I don't tie the heads as densely as bass bugs as I don't want all that hair to inhibit its' ability to sink.

33 mins ago, slip n slide said:

You only need to do that when the "nose" is short,this is tied w/ one of the two hooks I took pics of that have enough space up front to be able to tie w/o an extension.

I don't know how Gunnar does his extensions but I used 80lb mono w/ a "ball" melted onto the end to keep materials from sliding off the back but now that I have these two hooks I don't need to go to the trouble he does,

The wing has two long hackles tied in flatwing -style on a bucktail /flash pillow w/ flash and cashmere goat over top and a pr of shorter hackles(in this case,the chart ones) tented over the rest of the stack...gives a great 3-D profile.The collar is bucktail from the base of the tail.

I don't tie the heads as densely as bass bugs as I don't want all that hair to inhibit its' ability to sink.

sns: thank you. I just found my next interesting and motivating (a lot of tying I presently do is to while away the time!) tying project, once I get the proper hooks to do so. I think I can do a decent job with the description you gave but, if you have the time, a few sbs pictures would help and would be appreciated. 

Steve Huff has a pattern for murky water that's tied on a worm hook.  I fished it with a captain out of Chokoloskee that I think was not supposed to have it.  It's got a ton of flash.  I've never seen it in a book or a shop, but man did the snook love it.  

I asked said unnamed captain to send me one so I could copy it, but he has so far refused.

17 hours ago, JCH said:

I fished it with a captain out of Chokoloskee

Chokoloskee is one of my favorite places in the world. For years we've spent some time in Everglades City and Chokoloskee every winter, but this year we couldn't make it. The mangrove islands off of Everglades City are a national treasure.