Sandflee

Raising Chickens...

Rate this topic

882 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, Seal said:

No one else thinks this is the awesome?

 

Am I the only one here that just recently discovered that our friendly neighborhood egg layers, are secretly dinosaur death machines?

poor mouse was just minding his own business 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if mentioned so forgive me if I'm repeating. Back Yard Chicken is a great site for all your chicken questions. I raised 4 chickens for over 3 years. Sadly, the last was killed by a fox. So, no more chickens.

Edited by rdbass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Seal said:

No one else thinks this is the awesome?

 

Am I the only one here that just recently discovered that our friendly neighborhood egg layers, are secretly dinosaur death machines?

they will eat anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, fishfood said:

Having a bunch of hens beats weeding and tilling the garden by hand. 

IMG_2093.jpg.dcb0aa8e63f5b246c925ce7b6d1a1412.jpg

Nice looking flock, healthy and clean :th: !


Boy I wish I could do that with mine. I would turn my back for 5 minutes and at least one would be grabbed by a hawk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 10 chicks under the heat lamp as we speak... keeping kids busy during quarantine.  Two years ago we we had a stretch of -20 for 2 weeks chickens were just fine.  Neighbor maintains when I am not here and in return keeps & sells eggs I don’t use. 
Fisher got in the barn last winter and murdered a dozen chickens in under a minute.  Oddly enough didn’t eat them just ripped all of their heads off and escaped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

Nice looking flock, healthy and clean :th: !


Boy I wish I could do that with mine. I would turn my back for 5 minutes and at least one would be grabbed by a hawk. 

Thanks.   Most of the raptors around us are osprey and bald eagles, and they're fat with fish from the bay most of the time.  Still, we occasionally see a red tailed hawk around, so we only free range them if we're outside with them. 

 

Only one we've lost so far has been our own dumb*ss dog, when the kids forgot to close the gate to his fence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, buckmaster said:

We have 10 chicks under the heat lamp as we speak... keeping kids busy during quarantine.  Two years ago we we had a stretch of -20 for 2 weeks chickens were just fine.  Neighbor maintains when I am not here and in return keeps & sells eggs I don’t use. 
Fisher got in the barn last winter and murdered a dozen chickens in under a minute.  Oddly enough didn’t eat them just ripped all of their heads off and escaped. 

 

Are you sure it was a Fisher?  That type of killing is the calling card of an owl.  They eat the back of the head and immediately go for another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hens can lay one egg a day at the top of their productivity. That doesn't mean the WILL.

They stop laying every year when the molt, which can last a month or more.

Not all laying birds are eating birds. Doesn't mean you CAN'T eat them, just that the meat will be gamier than what you are used to. Eating birds are bred for quick growth and are eaten after roughly 6-8 weeks. No egg laying.

 

They require a lot of light to trigger egg laying, meaning added artificial light during the winter's short days will help.

They will attack other chickens that are bleeding. It's a genetic trait.

You will need to keep track of their health, because if one bird gets sick (there are specific chicken viruses/diseases) they can ALL get sick.

 

One other point to keep in mind, and it's something my sister found out. Chickens are curious birds, and LOVE shiny objects. Be aware that they can and WILL peck at jewelry. My sister had one peck and eat one of her earrings when she was cleaning the run.

 

As for egg quantity, just because you have 20 birds doesn't mean you will always get 20 eggs, but even if only half lay every other day you will have more eggs than you could ever need/use, so maybe consider who you could give some to or if you could sell them roadside, depending on how many you get regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, fishfood said:

Thanks.   Most of the raptors around us are osprey and bald eagles, and they're fat with fish from the bay most of the time.  Still, we occasionally see a red tailed hawk around, so we only free range them if we're outside with them. 

 

Only one we've lost so far has been our own dumb*ss dog, when the kids forgot to close the gate to his fence.  

Yup, my old lab got one a few years back too, same exact scenario :o . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 mins ago, buckmaster said:

We have 10 chicks under the heat lamp as we speak... keeping kids busy during quarantine.  Two years ago we we had a stretch of -20 for 2 weeks chickens were just fine.  Neighbor maintains when I am not here and in return keeps & sells eggs I don’t use. 
Fisher got in the barn last winter and murdered a dozen chickens in under a minute.  Oddly enough didn’t eat them just ripped all of their heads off and escaped. 

We had a coon rip through the fencing, pull every chicken from the coop, behead them, scatter them about the yard, and never ate a bite. sweetheart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also use a rain barrel (or hose barrel, I guess), but with those red cup waterers you can get at tractor supply.   Works great for 3 seasons...but we switch to a 2 gallon heated water bucket in the winter.     IMG_2144.jpg.934f0b47e21d0a3d2624890559b413e3.jpgIMG_2146.jpg.a48068650903d9a088a84113ff47d09d.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buckmaster said:

We have 10 chicks under the heat lamp as we speak... keeping kids busy during quarantine.  Two years ago we we had a stretch of -20 for 2 weeks chickens were just fine.  Neighbor maintains when I am not here and in return keeps & sells eggs I don’t use. 
Fisher got in the barn last winter and murdered a dozen chickens in under a minute.  Oddly enough didn’t eat them just ripped all of their heads off and escaped. 


We’ve had possums do the same.  Eat all the eggs and kill a bunch of chickens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.