Sandflee

Raising Chickens...

Rate this topic

826 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Worth the effort? How long they viable to produce eggs and can they winter over in a coupe outside?

have friends that have chickens pheasants etc upstate but that’s much colder temps -10 at times here I’m looking at 20deg at the lowest

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m currently raising 10 chicks. I think it’s worth it and some breeds are more weather tolerant than others so I think you’ll be fine. Just make sure that if you’re raising chicks they have a constant source of food and water and you always keep the heat lamp running on one side of their pen. Also make sure there’s no crap sticking to their butts or else they’ll basically get impacted and die. Luckily that didn’t happen to any of mine.

 

I’ve had adult hens in the past and there was always a steady production of one egg per day from each one.

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

isn't it chicken coops

coupes are little sports cars with hot chicks 

I can understand the mix up 

 

Edited by Kml

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, ASrod said:

I’m currently raising 10 chicks. I think it’s worth it and some breeds are more weather tolerant than others so I think you’ll be fine. Just make sure that if you’re raising chicks they have a constant source of food and water and you always keep the heat lamp running on one side of their pen. Also make sure there’s no crap sticking to their butts or else they’ll basically get impacted and die. Luckily that didn’t happen to any of mine.

 

I’ve had adult hens in the past and there was always a steady production of one egg per day from each one.

 

Alex

I can raise chicks in the garage no problem was just wondering how they would be next year over the winter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sandflee said:

I can raise chicks in the garage no problem was just wondering how they would be next year over the winter 

Never had a problem with the adults over the winter. Although one night I did put them in a dog kennel in the garage when it was below 0.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kml said:

isn't is chicken coops

coupes are little sports cars with hot chicks 

I can understand the mix up 

 

I was trying to raise chickens in style :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, ASrod said:

Never had a problem with the adults over the winter. Although one night I did put them in a dog kennel in the garage when it was below 0.

 

 

This is if I can even find any, any breeds to look for or avoid? @ChumSlickJon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Sandflee said:

This is if I can even find any, any breeds to look for or avoid? @ChumSlickJon

In all honesty I didn’t dig through the different breeds. I went with what I had before which were Rhode Island Reds and Isa Browns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

dominicker or Rhode Island reds

Is it worth it between feed coup

 etc then chopping heads off when they don’t produce?

2 adults at home what’s a good start 4 chickens? 

 

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ll be fine over winter if the coupe is big enough for them to get out of the weather.  They’ll need to move around a little, and have boxes to nest, a place to eat and drink, and also a rail to perch at night.  And be prepared for the nastiest kind of manure in the world when you muck the coupe out in the spring.  Well, maybe dairy cows are worse.

 

And have a plan for the eggs.  You’ll get more than you can use.

 

We typically had 20-30 birds, but during the day time we opened the coupe and let them free range around the farm.  They’d return to the coupe each night and we’d lock em in.  Had a coupe about the size of a two-car garage and a pair of smaller brooding sheds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Is it worth it between feed coup

 etc then chopping heads off when they don’t produce?

2 adults at home what’s a good start 4 chickens? 

 

worth it?

ummmm

the eggs are better lol, you can let them make babies and never run out of chickens,  for or 5 chickens will make a ton of eggs , so probably yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.