Don’t drop da fish - newbie question

Rate this topic

fishguy62

16 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

I fish a 10' in the bays all the time. I have an 8'8 as well and its best on schoolies, but I can't cant fish big plugs on it so that's why the 10' works best for me.

Two things I would do in this situation. First, drop the rod tip a bit. Hold the rod between your legs, which should have it at about a 45 degree angle or so; 2 o clock on a watch. If your rod is already vertical, you don't get much hooksetting force on a fish. Like others have said though, you should not have to slam the fish to set the hook with sharp trebles. 

Taking the back hook off is definitely a nice thing to do as you reduce injury to stripers, but if this continues you may just want to put a 4/0-5/0 single hook in the back and pinch the barb. It will help 100%, and the pinched barb will be fish-friendly.

Finally, make sure these "bumps" aren't your lure hitting a bunker on the way in. Happens frequently, may feel like a bass, but its your lure hitting bait.  

I totally agree with this, I use my 10 foot mojo surf in the back bay even if it’s catching micro schoolies and it still gets the job done. When you feel a hit don’t pull up too hard or jerk the rod too hard, with the length of the rod you could possibly just be pulling the hook very quickly. I like the 10 foot because of the casting distance I can get and because I can throw a range of stuff, everything from 3/4 swim shads to 4 oz diamond jigs. I don’t think your rod is the problem, I think one hook on the mag darter may be affecting you and also your loose drag. If the fish can easily pull your drag, there a problem, you need to find that sweet spot, where the drag is tighten but you can still pull some line out with you hands. (SP Minnows and Mag darters have been working for me on fish from “18-25inches” but for the micro bass that are on the South shore right now, they mostly hit swim shads and teasers.)  Tight lines!!!

13 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone.

I am new to fishing. I’ve been fishing for stripers maybe 25 times. I’ve recently discovered back bay fishing. The kind where you have to wade out a bit. I’ve been out a bunch of times recently and have had some good trips but I do notice something that I wanted to ask everyone about...

Setting the hook/dropping fish! I feel the bite, I jerk the rod up to set the hook and I miss a whole lot. I can have nights of 10+ but people around me are bringing in 20+. It’s frustrating but I want to be specific in trying to get help here... Last night I missed 10+

I have a 10’ rod. I am throwing mostly sp minnows and mag darter with just a belly vmc trebel 1/0 hook - back hook off. 

Is that the problem? Would it help if I got a 7.5-8’ back bay set up? Most people I see out are using 8’ lighter set ups. 

Do I just not have the feel yet because of the experience factor? Again I feel the hit I jerk up and the fish is gone. I know I have to keep line tight but I’m reeling slow, giving a little twitch and I feel the hit and I try to snap it up. Maybe reel a little first and then set? 

Any and all tips are appreciated. I am new so something obvious to you might not be obvious to me!

I just don’t want to droppa da fishhhhh!!!

Are there bunker around?  Swimming your plug through bunker can often feel like you’re getting hits.  Happens all the time.

42 mins ago, bbfish said:

Are there bunker around?  Swimming your plug through bunker can often feel like you’re getting hits.  Happens all the time.

Yea but if guys are connecting with 10+ more fish then me I’m clearly doing something wrong

4 mins ago, Goldy said:

As others have said your drag is too loose.  What kind of reel are you using?

Tighten the drag

Daiwa BG 4k. I will def tighten the drag and find that sweet spot. Will also try to keep my rod lower and at 2 o clock. Gonna try a sharper smaller wrist snap for the hook set.

When I feel a bump should I reel a little first and then snap up a little?

19 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone.

I am new to fishing. I’ve been fishing for stripers maybe 25 times. I’ve recently discovered back bay fishing. The kind where you have to wade out a bit. I’ve been out a bunch of times recently and have had some good trips but I do notice something that I wanted to ask everyone about...

Setting the hook/dropping fish! I feel the bite, I jerk the rod up to set the hook and I miss a whole lot. I can have nights of 10+ but people around me are bringing in 20+. It’s frustrating but I want to be specific in trying to get help here... Last night I missed 10+

I have a 10’ rod. I am throwing mostly sp minnows and mag darter with just a belly vmc trebel 1/0 hook - back hook off. 

Is that the problem? Would it help if I got a 7.5-8’ back bay set up? Most people I see out are using 8’ lighter set ups. 

Do I just not have the feel yet because of the experience factor? Again I feel the hit I jerk up and the fish is gone. I know I have to keep line tight but I’m reeling slow, giving a little twitch and I feel the hit and I try to snap it up. Maybe reel a little first and then set? 

Any and all tips are appreciated. I am new so something obvious to you might not be obvious to me!

A few minor adjustments needed it sounds like..Nothin major..As some posters said, make sure them hooks are sharp. 2nd, and this is so underrated..make sure the drag is relatively tight. A tight line will help with getting that hook firm in there. Good Luck..tight lines.

Also worth mentioning, sometimes it's the nature of the bite. A very lethargic sort of half a** bite. It happens particularly in the spring.

Stripers often nip at the rear of a lure when they're curious or investigating.  With no rear hook, we make it impossible to catch these fish.  Also, if your fishing SP's and mag darters in area with shallow water, then the tail hook will help you out, since the fish typically wont be coming from below.  For deep water or slow surface presentations, belly hook all the way.

21 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone.

why are you using one hook