CLFish5

Don’t drop da fish - newbie question

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

I am new to fishing. I’ve been fishing for stripers maybe 25 times. I’ve recently discovered back bay fishing. The kind where you have to wade out a bit. I’ve been out a bunch of times recently and have had some good trips but I do notice something that I wanted to ask everyone about...

Setting the hook/dropping fish! I feel the bite, I jerk the rod up to set the hook and I miss a whole lot. I can have nights of 10+ but people around me are bringing in 20+. It’s frustrating but I want to be specific in trying to get help here... Last night I missed 10+

I have a 10’ rod. I am throwing mostly sp minnows and mag darter with just a belly vmc trebel 1/0 hook - back hook off. 

Is that the problem? Would it help if I got a 7.5-8’ back bay set up? Most people I see out are using 8’ lighter set ups. 

Do I just not have the feel yet because of the experience factor? Again I feel the hit I jerk up and the fish is gone. I know I have to keep line tight but I’m reeling slow, giving a little twitch and I feel the hit and I try to snap it up. Maybe reel a little first and then set? 

Any and all tips are appreciated. I am new so something obvious to you might not be obvious to me!

I just don’t want to droppa da fishhhhh!!!

Are the fish small like less than 20"? If so then you'll miss a lot on swimming lures with a belly treble. Nature of the beast they just don't have the size mouth to woof that minnow lure back consistently. Much better hook up rate on a small soft bait with a single hook or a bucktail.

That said if the fish are larger and short striking, you have to examine your retrieve speed, hook size, line and leader properties, hook sharpness. These are some things that contribute to a fish striking but not getting tight

32 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

Are the fish small like less than 20"? If so then you'll miss a lot on swimming lures with a belly treble. Nature of the beast they just don't have the size mouth to woof that minnow lure back consistently. Much better hook up rate on a small soft bait with a single hook or a bucktail.

That said if the fish are larger and short striking, you have to examine your retrieve speed, hook size, line and leader properties, hook sharpness. These are some things that contribute to a fish striking but not getting tight

Thanks for the advice Marty. 

The fish are in the 20”range but others around me had no problem hooking up on SPs. 

My retrieve speed was slow, hook size was 1/0, 30lb braid, 40lb flouro leader, hooks sharp bc brand new vmc...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sharpen the hooks anyway.

Sounds like you are using your long rod to over strike the smaller fish.  Try just reeling tight and the a shorter strike not swinging for the fences

Edited by Captain Ahab

Carry a small stone. Check points on finger nail. Most hooks dull quick. Bound to happen after a # of casts dragging through sand at end of retrive in surf.. Smalls spit em out big will not have hook deep set and leave u with memories you'll never forget.

2 hours ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

If it’s a lunka you won’t drop it! 

And if u do you'll never forget it!

Cows can be slippery.

8 hours ago, charles s said:

When you set the hook does your drag let out line ? Also how are you holding your rod on your retrieve?

Yes it did on many of the hits. I am holding my rod at 12 o clock when reeling

15 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Ahhhhh

Tighten the drag you are not getting a solid hookset.

Put your lure in a fencepost or something wood.  Back off about 30 yards or so and try setting the hook.  You will be surprised at how little pressure you are applying at the hook even out of the water

1 hour ago, CLFish5 said:

Okie so, here’s my two cents ... tighten your drag enough so that when you set the hook your getting a solid connection on the pull back ... not too tight, just right... find a happy medium ... i double check my drag on the first few casts a lot of times by tossing a bigger subsurface plug that digs in ....I cast ...reel tight to connect with the plug and once it’s dug in good, i yank like a hook-set a few times to see if my drag is too loose ... and adjust from there ..again happy medium cause too tight will give you other issues because unlike mono, braid has little to no stretch, so you can overset if you don’t compensate for a super tight drag..... also, as a side note, here’s something I had to correct while fishing top water plugs, poppers, metal lip swimmers etc ... when a fish hits hard on a top water and it’s crashing on the surface .... once I hook it ...instead of holding the rod up and letting the fish crash around on top i drop my tip down just enough to let the fish dive and get some water over its back, as quickly as possible... once I started doing that, fish stopped spitting my Plugs...

now as far as holding the rod at 12 , kinda high in my opinion I’d say 2 setting to 12 or better yet 1 if your drag is set right:) 

sorry for the book .... hope this helps

About the rod, the 7-8' set ups with lighter line are going to be a lot more fun and easier on your shoulder for small lures and small fish. I don't know what the specs on your 10' are but it's likely overkill for schoolie fishing. The 30# braid / 40# leader is what I use for big plugs in the surf. 

I'd plan for a second rod something around 8', 1/2oz - 2oz range with a 4k - 6k sized reel, 20# braid, 20# leader if you can get away with it. Tight drag like they say above. You'll be in touch with those 1 oz lures real intimate like compared to the 10' surf setup

13 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey everyone.

I am new to fishing. I’ve been fishing for stripers maybe 25 times. I’ve recently discovered back bay fishing. The kind where you have to wade out a bit. I’ve been out a bunch of times recently and have had some good trips but I do notice something that I wanted to ask everyone about...

Setting the hook/dropping fish! I feel the bite, I jerk the rod up to set the hook and I miss a whole lot. I can have nights of 10+ but people around me are bringing in 20+. It’s frustrating but I want to be specific in trying to get help here... Last night I missed 10+

I have a 10’ rod. I am throwing mostly sp minnows and mag darter with just a belly vmc trebel 1/0 hook - back hook off. 

Is that the problem? Would it help if I got a 7.5-8’ back bay set up? Most people I see out are using 8’ lighter set ups. 

Do I just not have the feel yet because of the experience factor? Again I feel the hit I jerk up and the fish is gone. I know I have to keep line tight but I’m reeling slow, giving a little twitch and I feel the hit and I try to snap it up. Maybe reel a little first and then set? 

Any and all tips are appreciated. I am new so something obvious to you might not be obvious to me!

I just don’t want to droppa da fishhhhh!!!

I fish a 10' in the bays all the time. I have an 8'8 as well and its best on schoolies, but I can't cant fish big plugs on it so that's why the 10' works best for me.

Two things I would do in this situation. First, drop the rod tip a bit. Hold the rod between your legs, which should have it at about a 45 degree angle or so; 2 o clock on a watch. If your rod is already vertical, you don't get much hooksetting force on a fish. Like others have said though, you should not have to slam the fish to set the hook with sharp trebles. 

Taking the back hook off is definitely a nice thing to do as you reduce injury to stripers, but if this continues you may just want to put a 4/0-5/0 single hook in the back and pinch the barb. It will help 100%, and the pinched barb will be fish-friendly.

Finally, make sure these "bumps" aren't your lure hitting a bunker on the way in. Happens frequently, may feel like a bass, but its your lure hitting bait.