mybeach

What is the most sophisticated, large scale manufacturing being done in the United States?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Tunneling all over the tube as I'm sure we all are, and viewing manufacturing techniques and processes that are simply astounding. 

I watched a documentary about Danish and German manufacturing of wind turbines that blew my mind.

The complexity of the manufacturing, and the constant advance of the technology employed was phenomenal. The process to manufacture

the blades alone was staggering. Vacuum bagging fiberglass blades over 100 feet long. Installing magnets in the turbines so powerful that robots

had to handle the assembly because it would be fatal to humans in close proximity.

The factories where they are building German cars are ridiculous.

Where in the US can I find manufacturing as impressive? I'd love to know where it's happening and what is being made here.

I guess the Tesla factories might be a good start, but it looks like their new megafactory is being built in Germany. Is Nevada still online?

Anyone else know of anything?

39 mins ago, splions said:

Submarines in RI and CT

got any pics or video? I know, I know, top secret.

I do remember a trip to Groton. Took a little boat ride around Electric Boat Works when I was a squirt.

Look at a Porsche or Mercedes factory, all the people they let on the video have uniforms and look like professionals...:shock:

4 mins ago, mybeach said:

Look at a Porsche or Mercedes factory, all the people they let on the video have uniforms and look like professionals...:shock:

Most of the hourly workers in bigger German factories have the equivalent of Associate degrees.  I worked for a major food manufacturer in the states and we had affiliates all over the world.  The Germans, Dutch, and many others had high performing plants with minimal staffing, but the workers were all bright and educated.

1 hour ago, mybeach said:

Tunneling all over the tube as I'm sure we all are, and viewing manufacturing techniques and processes that are simply astounding. 

I watched a documentary about Danish and German manufacturing of wind turbines that blew my mind.

The complexity of the manufacturing, and the constant advance of the technology employed was phenomenal. The process to manufacture

the blades alone was staggering. Vacuum bagging fiberglass blades over 100 feet long. Installing magnets in the turbines so powerful that robots

had to handle the assembly because it would be fatal to humans in close proximity.

Where in the US can I find manufacturing as impressive? I'd love to know where it's happening and what is being made here.

I guess the Tesla factories might be a good start, but it looks like their new megafactory is being built in Germany. Is Nevada still online?

Dam, that weed must be awesome! 

1 hour ago, mybeach said:

From 2018...

In a delicious turn of fate Elon Musk has put robots the world over on notice. He recently replaced the highly-touted automation system at Tesla with a better, more intelligent paradigm: humans.

14 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Meth

Ain't like the old school biker crank though . I wouldn't touch the new stuff for anything. Back in the day about 40 years ago,I was a crank  connoisseur and had the opportunity to get my stuff right from the mob in South Philly. Purple crystal was top shelf.

17 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Dam, that weed must be awesome! 

Maui Wowie!

1 min ago, Capt Buck said:

Ain't like the old school biker crank though . I wouldn't touch the new stuff for anything. Back in the day about 40 years ago,I was a crank  connoisseur and had the opportunity to get my stuff right from the mob in South Philly. Purple crystal was top shelf.

Same here, Cap, wouldn't touch it, either. Used to get some purple stuff from a friend's brother. Hurt like a mother****er, though. Was probably only about 38 years ago, though. :D