Rough

TRAWLER CATCH OFF LONG BEACH. ANYONE KNOWS?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

There was a small trawler off the Long Beach boardwalk this morning, about half to there quarters of a mile out. Not the first time I see boats like this. I looked it up with the binoculars and the nets had plenty of fish. I estimated the average size at about 16-24 inches. I could only see the white bellies but could not distinguish what it was. Anyone has any idea what they are targeting here?

Edited by Rough

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

probably fluke, they're pretty thick right now. So are skates , good price right now.

Oh no, I didn't suspect them of poaching in broad daylight. The fish didn't look like fluke, though I can't say for sure. It looked more of the standard long oval shape.

2 hours ago, Rough said:

Oh no, I didn't suspect them of poaching in broad daylight. The fish didn't look like fluke, though I can't say for sure. It looked more of the standard long oval shape.

Bunker?

24 mins ago, foxfai said:

Bunker?

Might be. I had observed what seemed to be bunker pods the day before. The fish looked clearly bigger though.

3 mins ago, carznfish said:

Might be an out of state boat fishing for stripers? 

Are there licenses available for this kind of fishing? Also, the boat was 2000 feet from the coast

14 hours ago, Rough said:

Trawling for fluke wouldn't be poaching.  Season is open with a 140 pound trip limit.

12 hours ago, carznfish said:

Might be an out of state boat fishing for stripers? 

A trawler directing on stripers in NY waters would be illegal, whether or not the boat came from out of state.

3 hours ago, carznfish said:

Not if the captain is a chinese national :why:

Not suire that I understand that one

On 4/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, pakalolo said:

probably fluke, they're pretty thick right now. So are skates , good price right now.

good price? who's buying