TBYRD

2020 Shad Fishing

Rate this topic

134 posts in this topic

Yep... It's time to start a thread for the shad fishing fanatics like me to post our thoughts, tips, pics, and reports.

With the CT waters temps rising by the day, it won't be long until these light tackle drag screamers migrate their way up into Western MA.

 

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.23.15 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late next wk I'll start the search, provided I can fish-tance properly (shore based only). :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if I'll fish the more popular spots on the merrimack this year. Luckily, I have a few obscure spots where I can get into the shad without people encroaching the 6feet rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the trout ponds being overrun  this year due to most people  not working, I hope people  use discretion mentioning  some of the smaller shad spots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, TonyO said:

With the trout ponds being overrun  this year due to most people  not working, I hope people  use discretion mentioning  some of the smaller shad spots

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the first one around my area was caught Monday.  This one here is from yesterday.  I had 4 bites, landed 2.  Today I had the same results.

 

 

image1-6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dah seee said:

Don't know if I'll fish the more popular spots on the merrimack this year. Luckily, I have a few obscure spots where I can get into the shad without people encroaching the 6feet rule. 

Same here. But I’m thinking a lot of people’s obscure spot will be discovered this year with so many people fish because of lack of a job. Fingers crossed I can get to mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, MassMino said:

I believe the first one around my area was caught Monday.  This one here is from yesterday.  I had 4 bites, landed 2.  Today I had the same results.

 

 

image1-6.jpeg

Game on as they say. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Level is dropping... for now.

Cold rain and snow up North will show in a day or two with a spike up in volume and down in temperature.  Both not ideal.

20200409_174427.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MassMino said:

I believe the first one around my area was caught Monday.  This one here is from yesterday.  I had 4 bites, landed 2.  Today I had the same results.

 

 

image1-6.jpeg

do you eat them?

they are quite good,the 4 I cooked/ate were very tasty.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

do you eat them?

they are quite good,the 4 I cooked/ate were very tasty.

HH

I have not.  But thanks for asking :)  I do plan to try some soon.  I am giving some to a friend who has experience with recipes for them.

 

BDOWNING - Game on is right!  It also means the stripers are in my area too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have a yearly shad bake and Shad Queen shindig down in Windsor,CT every year.

Never joined in the festivities but heard the fish were cooked up nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

De-boning them will drive you insane. If I kept one to eat, I'd probably just gut it and cook it whole, bones and all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.