fishhardri

Surf Rod Advice

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice/direction on a rod I can use for my hand me down 706z. 

Some things I want in the rod:

-9ft max

-can work with a 706z - guide positioning to take into consideration?

-ideally cork grips - don't like the black tape or EVA foam stuff too much

-can throw 2-6 oz

-not super expensive

hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction

thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tsunami Trophy 1002MH fits your criteria except it's a foot longer 2-6oz with cork grips. Quaker lane should still have them in stock less than 100 bucks iirc. I prefer the Trophy II but it doesn't have cork grips and some people hate the 70/30 split. The original is a 50/50 that fits gingerly in my car. My Trophy and Trophy II split duty during the season as my in car ready to go fishing straight from work rod. I've used both mine at the canal with 4 oz jigs heads no problem.

Edited by Zubinac

any specific conditions you plan to fish ( heavy current, open beach, etc) and assume you are throwing plugs or eels?  What kind of lures (bucktail/topwater/plastic swimmers) or versatile enough for all?

probably some jetties as well as the canal so it has be able to handle a current.

definitely some eels and bigger plugs. might try tossing some ducktails as well with it (I already have another rod for lighter stuff)

really I just wanna make sure that the 706 can fit on it because I don't wanna get trapped with some wind knots.

Factory made surf rods with corked handles are a bit harder to come by these days. If you can deal with the eva foam stuff, the Star Paraflex PFS1225S90 isn't a bad 9' rod for a decent price. Rated 1-4oz (I don't know if you'd be able to find any widely available surf rods under 10' rated 2-6 oz). You should be fine getting away with this rod at most jetties/breachways however I would not recommend pushing your luck with it at the canal. Probably need something 10'+ and more in the 3-8 oz range if you plan on hitting the ditch. 

Be aware there is a learning curve with a 706 depending on what line you plan on using.  Braid or mono?  Also if you plan on mono I would look at a rod with a more traditional guide layout with a larger gathering guide.  With braid you can use the newer low riding guides.  Nothing wrong with matching it with a 9 foot stick.  For many years 704s and 706s were paired frequently with 9 footers.

54 mins ago, fishhardri said:

fair enough.

any specific recommendations on rods?

honestly i don't have much appearance with the 706z

36 mins ago, DZ said:

Be aware there is a learning curve with a 706 depending on what line you plan on using.  Braid or mono?  Also if you plan on mono I would look at a rod with a more traditional guide layout with a larger gathering guide.  With braid you can use the newer low riding guides.  Nothing wrong with matching it with a 9 foot stick.  For many years 704s and 706s were paired frequently with 9 footers.

It has 30lb wireline on it. I use it on my my mojo, but I am trying to move away from that rod and look to something new, but thats something else entirely. Thanks for the input!

41 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I recommend the GSB 1201mOS. Not the latest rod but once your muscle memory gets use to it, it’ll feel like any other rod

I am going to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation.