Southcoastphil

PRICE DROP 4 Solid Swimmers by SOL Builders—Fishdoc, Benny Raw, et al

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Why “SOL Builders”?

--Because some were (and still are) very active in the Lure Builders forum, answering questions, sharing everything from tips and techniques to examples of their own work (both hits and flops!), and stimulating a tremendous amount of knowledge exchange.

--They convey the essence of the plug builders’ greater community:  Learn what makes a good plug, take your time, do it right and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.

--I got all of them via SOL BST

None have left my plug racks in the years since I acquired them when new.  Every one of them is an excellent example of its class of plug. 

5e8cecc8278b2_SOLrs1.JPG.23af1a5de11c97cef7957214607f5f39.JPG

5e8cecd310db5_SOLrsSigs.JPG.3a229c813739c3f50be8e51ac8c5157f.JPG

Benny Raw 2014 slim swimmer in what I’ll call blackfish or dark tog looks all but bombproof, with cleanly-epoxied lip, eyes, belly grommets and tail wrap.  5 ½” long, 1 ½ oz.

At 6” and 2 ½ oz., the fishdoc looks like a very versatile plug, with the power of a Junior in a shorter, tapered body.   I think it’s also a neat example of using black paint to mute what could otherwise be a too-loud color like chartreuse.

I don’t know anything about TJ, but the attention to quality on his peanut certainly warrants inclusion.  Its great lines are protected by a smooth and hard epoxy topcoat.  The dressed tail is simple white bucktail, perfectly tied on a 6/0 stainless steel hook.  The fact that the cut on his VMC treble looks better than 95% of the cut hooks I’ve seen in the last eight years is just one more example of his approach.  The quirks in the paint somehow add to its appeal for me.  (But I’m betting that he wasn’t happy about them!)

5e8cecce2a577_SOLrshooks.JPG.5423efacb1b5170bb46b1c0f197ecf32.JPG

The red eye black swimmer is by B.E., a builder from CT.  Its graceful lines remind me of the Lordship slims.  6” long and 1 1/3 oz.

So there you have it, gents.  Four plugs, each a great example of what real builders build.  I’d call all of them confidence plugs.

$44 for the lot of four cash and picked up in/near Dartmouth, MA.  Add $4 for PP and USPS First Class shipping with tracking number. 

OR 

$36 for any three cash and picked up in/near Dartmouth, MA.  Add $4 for PP and USPS First Class shipping with tracking number. 

Edited by Southcoastphil
lowered prices.

1 hour ago, stripercrazy said:

doc's gone (passed away) benny raw i haven't heard from him in years he was a good builder

Hi Eddy!  

Yes, I'd read about his passing in the builders' forum sometime ago.  Benny sure shared a lot of everything, from many of the old posts I've read over the winter.  Both of their plugs are solid, in every way!

I think that @Benny Raw is still active here.  Perhaps he'll see this and fill me in on the black plug he built.  (If I get too excited about what I learn, I might have to lock or edit this post!)  

Given the positive tone of our comments, I hope that the mods will tolerate this brief discussion in a BST thread.  I'd love to learn more about both of those gents, so perhaps one of us should start a thread about them in Lure Builders?

What is on the line tie of the fishdoc? Pic looks like there's epoxy on it or the metal itself is damaged. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I try to check in on occasion, having three kids has mostly put a halt to building plugs, but it seems like this pandemic has me back in the shop. 
I really like the slim swimmer pictured above, I still have a couple in my bag. 

Edited by Benny Raw

10 hours ago, Nomad92 said:

What is on the line tie of the fishdoc? Pic looks like there's epoxy on it or the metal itself is damaged. 

Is there anything wrong with the line tie? I'll take for asking if it's just the photo. 

4 hours ago, Nomad92 said:

Is there anything wrong with the line tie? I'll take for asking if it's just the photo. 

I took a look at it this morning.  Turns out it was some schmutz (technical term for snot) on the wire.

Honestly, it was a little bit of epoxy, which lifted right off with my pocket knife blade.

I also noticed that the lip isn't *perfectly* aligned with the body.  I'll get a pic up shortly.