Pure Ice

Shimano TLD 10 free spool question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Ahhhh... the search function. 

Lots of good info but not specifically what omg looking for  So looking for some info on my TLD 10. dumped the Kayak on the beach landing the other day and decided it was a good time to rebuild some reels that went in the drink. Diawa lexa 300hd & the Shimano TLD 10. The Lexa froze up but I tore it down and got it back nice.  

The TLD 10 well....... this thing is a beaut inside bought it used and when i opened it, it is a beaut.  but, my issue is in the reassembly.  

I cant seem to get the drag lever to work properly. I've figured how it works mechanically more or less, the lever pulls & pushes the spool in and out of gear allowing free spool or drag actuation the further up you push the drag lever the harder it pushes against the friction discs (more or less right?) any ways, more to my issue.

Took me to many time to figure out the above, but now I cant figure out how to get the spool to "shift" back into free spool after moving the drag lever back to free spool.  What pulls the spool back out of gear?  I can push the spool to the side and "manually" shift the spool out of gear, but that's not right. what am i missing? the reel spins beautifully in free spool no drag or rub.  but one i shift out of free spool I cant get the spool to go back into free spool with out pushing on the side if the spool or drag adjustment knob.  

Thoughts or experience? 

Help.  I'm going cross eyed 

J. Ice

Typically part no 11, the lever shaft body (basically the cam) is worn.

Try cleaning all the parts of the assembly, lightly re-lube and try again.

Cheap fix is a new lever shaft body (11) and o ring (10)

Shimano TLD Lever drag assembly.jpg

Interesting, 

on you photo you show a spring #82 that makes sense, but mine did not have one and the schematic if found on this site http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_TLD_10__87.pdf also dose not show one. I'll play with the lever again and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply. 

Ice

Check the drag spring washers on the opposite side of the spool from the handle the washers are either in the wrong orientation ,or are  flattened out ,l they should be cupped and be opposing  each other or the concave facing each other .this gives the drag system spring back and releases the drag plate when you move the lever to free spool. Hope this helps    

TLD15 – Shimano.html

Got it working asked on another site and they offered this one

https://alantani.com/

Did a search and it came right up the graphite in the housing swelled causing the spool shaft hole to tighten. Up little Emery paper on a letter drillbit did the trick 

Thanks for the responses.

Now I need a new problem for the shelter in place problem / project solving challenge

J. Ice

It it wont go back into freespool the left side of the spool shaft is sticking in the graphite body. You have to carefully drill it out. If it still has the label on the left plate take it off and then glue it back on

Just now, handi2 said:

It it wont go back into freespool the left side of the spool shaft is sticking in the graphite body. You have to carefully drill it out. If it still has the label on the left plate take it off and then glue it back on

Oops I didn’t read all the posts.