Paul.f150

entry level wader

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Anyone got a nice pair of boot foot waders they'd recommend? Just started getting into surf fishing and think it's time I make an invest in a decent pair of waders. Only problem i'm seeing is finding one that'll fit my build as im rather tall around 6'4. I'm thinking id like to spend around $150 at max but all recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance and hope everyone is staying safe.

I don't have them, but a lot of guys like the Frogg Toggs Hellbender bootfoot waders, cleated. They're a few bucks more than what you're looking to spend, but close in price. They make the Cascades model for $120. Its PVC, but you'd be mostly looking at PVC waders for under $150.

Agreed on the Frogg Toggs. I'm normally in a wetsuit or stocking foot waders but I wanted a pair of bootfoot waders at a decent price for sandy beaches and the occasional freshwater trip. The Hellbenders fit the bill and I've used them on and off for two seasons now. 

me and 2 others use cheap "dark lightning" waders from amazon. about $40 and have held up great so far. used em all last fall/winter season and still using em now. definitely nothing fancy but i wear em hours at a time with no issue.

2 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

Go Cabelas 3.5 neoprene. They have tall sizes. 

You probably don't know this since you're a beginner, but the neoprene are good in winter...steelhead fishing.

They are NOT good for summer/fall.  I speak from using a pair of cabellas neoprene for many years.

the condensation will soak your clothes sometimes even worse than a leak.

Especially if you have to walk distances...the neoprene are not fun.

PVC will get condensation inside too.

The breathable waders eliminate this.  I regret that it took me so long to figure this out.

Don't worry...even in the winter they are fine...just layer up with some non-cotton gear underneath.

My first pair of waders were the froggtogg cascades, they were cheap like 79$ and I got about 2 seasons out of them before they sprung a small leak on the leg. I just upgraded to their hellbender model.

There are a lot of waders under $150.00 just google this "dark lightning" waders from amazon. now you have to make a decision breathable / neoprene / or rubber.

I have the Hodgman H3 stocking foot waders. Haven't tried the boot foot waders. Got them on sale at dicks. Between last year and spring trout fishing this year I've used  them 30+ times. No complaints so far, I'd recommend them.

Im also using the frogg toggs hellbender right now. I havent experienced any problems with it but its an old wader. I bought it a few years ago. Im trying to save enough money for a new one but for now I think Ill prioritize my collectible coins. 

Like it was said before, you wanna go with a breathable wader over a neoprene. You can always layer up enough under your wader if it’s a particularly cold day, but when it’s warm and your in neoprene that’s much worse. Especially if u have to walk any distance. I use Compass 360 from Amazon they run about $100.

If you keep an eye on them, the $300 L.L. Bean Emerger bootfoots go on sale often and when they offer 25% off on top of that you can get them for maybe ~$170.  I'm 6' and the large fits me well, but they go up to XXL and size 13 boot. 

No matter which ones you buy.With your height,put them on and then put each foot up on the seat of chair and see if they restrict you.If they do go to the next size up.