Mike Oliver

Help please to value several rods.

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

A friend has contacted me with rough details of several fly rods asking me to value them. Reason his friend who owned them recently passed  and he is trying to raise money for the widow.

They are as new or even never used.

Thomas and Thomas DN 1409-5. 14 feet 9 wt 6 piece.

Beaulah Switch Rod 10 feet or 10 feet 6. Four piece 6/7 line

Beaulah 10’ 6” rod. No line rating. Guessing this is a single hand rod.

Hardy Jet Sintrix  11 feet 8/9

Hardy Jet Sintrix 10 feet 6 inches 4/5

St Croix. 9 foot 3 piece 10 line.

Reddington  9 foot 3 piece 8 line.  Tiq.  This might be a St Croix.

Reddington  9 foot 9 Tiq 990 9 line 

ok not full rod info.

He is looking to achieve sensible prices not silly ones

Can anyone please help with any of these rods.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

The T&T DNA (traditional versus the XD and XF models) has a strong following.  If it is in like new or new condition it is probably worth somewhere in the range of $650 to $800.  Ebay is a half decent barometer, but Spey Pages is a much better indicator.  I am a member of Spey Pages and have sold two handers there, let me have a look.

Mark

Assuming the Redington 3 piece rods are the NTiQ series, and new with rod tube maybe $175 each.  These were brittle rods and had tip breakage issues, but there are those who really liked them.   Flats rods mainly.

The Beulahs probably $200 for the single hand rod and maybe $250 to $350 for the switch.  The actual model makes a big difference with Beulahs.  Some of the Beulahs sold in the U.K. are different looking rods altogether than the ones in the U.S. although the blanks may be similar.

5 hours ago, 02807Fish said:

Mike,

The T&T DNA (traditional versus the XD and XF models) has a strong following.  If it is in like new or new condition it is probably worth somewhere in the range of $650 to $800.  Ebay is a half decent barometer, but Spey Pages is a much better indicator.  I am a member of Spey Pages and have sold two handers there, let me have a look.

Mark

Thanks Mark

mike

Mike,

I did a quick search on Spey Pages and found nary a one, either sold or for sale.  That should tell you something.

Mark

Mike:

Reddington rods vary from $399 (Crux) to more inexpensive Crosswater ($99) or the Path models ($169).  Unfortunately, several models at several price points fit the weights and lengths you have in your list.  Remember, these are for new and current models.  So, if the ones to which you are referring are not "new" models, the pricing would have to be adjusted accordingly.  Ebay might be useful but a wearying task.  Good luck and keep us posted.

FR

FR

Thanks appreciate from the info provided that this was not an easy task. But yours and everyone’s input has been invaluable. Paul now has a rough idea of value before putting these rods to the big auction site.

It will be good for his friends widow and good for whoever buys the rods.

So sad that his friend passed at just 66 years old. He never got to enjoy his retirement years.

I am hopeful that Paul May join the SOL community and come into the thread in person.

Thanks to all.

Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

Photo of Redington NTiQ series 3 piece rod.  Stands for Nano Titanium Quartz.  The rod is one of the more unusual rods to ever come from Redington and it is similar to the Albright EXT series which came in 4 piece.   The 8-12 weight rods were the ones I've heard had breakage issues.  The 4wt and 5wt rods are highly desirable.  If you check eBay sold auctions you will see a couple that sold for only $100 or maybe $125 in the past 2 years or so.  Three piece rods are kind of hard to sell these days.  Most flats rods are piece for travel.  The Albright EXT (or EXS?) rods also go for no more than $150 and they are the 4 piece versions of this same rod. 

picredntiq34.jpg

Edited by Killiefish

Thanks Killie,

Only ever cast the origional CPS and loved it. Never got into Reddington rods or Echo or TFO.

Too much choice so for me I stuck with just a couple of makers.

Hoping Paul signs in to say hi and thanks to.

Out of interest do you get the Daiwa Still Water Rods. They are about $300 and the 9’ 6” 7 wt is just dandy. It casts 7 and 8 wt lines a breeze. Is incredibly light and the joints are total precision. It is now my favourite lake rod . Worth googling up and having a look. These days I alternate between the Daiwa and my trusty much loved Z Axis in same length and line wt. For me one of the best rods ever.

mike

6 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Thanks Killie,

Only ever cast the origional CPS and loved it. Never got into Reddington rods or Echo or TFO.

Too much choice so for me I stuck with just a couple of makers.

Hoping Paul signs in to say hi and thanks to.

Out of interest do you get the Daiwa Still Water Rods. They are about $300 and the 9’ 6” 7 wt is just dandy. It casts 7 and 8 wt lines a breeze. Is incredibly light and the joints are total precision. It is now my favourite lake rod . Worth googling up and having a look. These days I alternate between the Daiwa and my trusty much loved Z Axis in same length and line wt. For me one of the best rods ever.

mike

As far as I know we don't have the Daiwa Still Water rods here or else maybe we call them something else?

Daiwa has been making some great inexpensive surf casting rods - I have an 11' and 12' rod of theirs and the joints are also as you say - perfection!

The Z axis and the Redington CPS are great rods.  Not the newest tech but a perfect balance (for me at least) of speed and sensitivity.

Hello guys and gals

My name is Paul jefferson, and you have already seen a post from Mike Oliver with regard to a number of rods that I am trying to sell on behalf of my friends widow. I must thank you for all your replies. I would ask you all, is there anymore information that you would need for me to get these rods into the marketplace.

Thanks again and I look forward to any more information from your good selves.

Cheers

Paul

Jeffo

Hi good to see you in our community. I hope you will continue to frequent SOL.

It is the best forum I have ever been on.

It might also get you and Shaun excited enough to join one of the Brit teams and go fish Stripers.

Hope the sale goes well. You are doing a very kind act for your late friends Widow.

Mike