kenzozozo

CB / Ham Radio ??

16 posts in this topic

I'm starting to dream up my deal beach buggy.  Probably getting a Nissan Titan in a month or two.  I wanted to ask if anyone is using Ham or CB radio out there on the sand ??

I already have a General ticket, so I prefer Ham radios ...obviously.  But, I'm not past installing both.  

Could you kindly let me know: 

-If you have a Ham / CB radio and if you use it on the beach ?

-Is there any channel/freq any one has agreed to using that I can monitor while on the beach ?

-Is there any "Fishing" net on any repeaters anywhere ?   (that'd be fun)

This brings back memories! Well it all depends if you have a bunch of buddies to keep in contact with? I've had the pleasure of fishing on the beach for over 4 decades had many friends to keep in touch with. With a dozen local miles to explore the cb worked well. If you came upon a school of fish just click and all your buddies heard it was fast and easy no one left out. When everyone went to cell phones easy became a problem. Your not going to call everyone? Try 13 that was widespread although we had our own channel

2 hours ago, Jimichanga said:

Number of people i would call if a school of anything wandered within casting range.

tenor (10).gif

Maybe that is how things are now, but at one time friends on the beach looked for bluefish during the day and the combined intel added to the fun.

Night time bass hunters shared intel, but the groups were smaller and a lot of code was involved.

13 hours ago, Jimichanga said:

Number of people i would call if a school of anything wandered within casting range.

tenor (10).gif

Fish calls work both ways my friend! Best day I ever had on the beach was a call from my buddy 7 miles away. Called to say something looks like it's going to happen! Well it did bass into the 30's in the wash all day long. After 8 hrs of a bass on every cast I quit. Sorry to hear you wouldn't call up a buddy to share. Yes times were different then, but we had many friends we'd share fish with. 

I have a cb in my vehicle, Xterra, always have. I find it very handy, but I'll tell you that there are very few non-truckers that have them and I've never heard any fishing chatter while driving the beaches...

Maybe you can be the trend setter.. 

I have a CB in my Jeep but she's not my beach buggy, the radio is mainly for trail rides.. I think mobile phones have taken over many duties that were formerly CB work. I too don't get calls nor make calls as I have been social distancing for over 50 years 

4 hours ago, Prospector said:

Fish calls work both ways my friend! Best day I ever had on the beach was a call from my buddy 7 miles away. Called to say something looks like it's going to happen! Well it did bass into the 30's in the wash all day long. After 8 hrs of a bass on every cast I quit. Sorry to hear you wouldn't call up a buddy to share. Yes times were different then, but we had many friends we'd share fish with. 

This culture of sharing with limited number of friends sounds fun to me and that's what I was hoping for via cb or ham.

4 hours ago, ByronPA said:

I have a cb in my vehicle, Xterra, always have. I find it very handy, but I'll tell you that there are very few non-truckers that have them and I've never heard any fishing chatter while driving the beaches...

Maybe you can be the trend setter.. 

I hear rumors that CB is coming back in some places. It may be because of the novelty of using old technology instead of cell phones.  I'm not sure.  I hope that it comes back. 

It would be nice to be able rag chew on CB about surf fishing while waiting for my chunks/bloodworm to get bit.  I'm surprised it's not little bit more prevalent. Beach buggy's are prime for having a CB/Ham radio.

14 mins ago, Surfcaster809 said:

CB would be the way to go. Good for a few miles and relatively cheap. Not everyone has a ham license and the equipment is a little more expensive anyway.

That's what I thought.  

Despite above, I think I'm gonna rig a CB radio because the hardware is so cheap.  (less than 200$ with all the wires and stuff)  I'm probably going to add a DMR radio HT to the mix and have a mount and remote antenna hooked up in the car. 

Damn, CB radio...that takes me back. Last time I had one was in 1978,wish there was still a viable use for them.Go for it, be a trendsetter...I'll get another if they take off!

I run a CB setup in my truck mostly for fun. Not a lot of worthwhile chatter, but I do pick up some funny conversations and some interesting sounding characters from time to time. I figure it’s a good thing to have in case of an emergency or a **** hit the fan moment.  Besides all that I just like the technology and messing around with radios and antennas. I find it fun and interesting. 

I stick to 19, you can get some good real-time traffic info from truckers. Occasionally scan around the other channels and see what’s being talked about. I’ll jump in sometimes.