puff tentacle

Boredom question about stored winter gas in tank

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Ok , first and foremost I hope everyone and their families are healthy and managing as good as can be expected.  Secondly, I usually leave gas tank as low as possible but this past  year I misjudged and closed her up with 1/2 a tank of gas.   It was treated and stored for the winter. I want to start her up on muffs before launching and I was wondering if I should run the engine on muffs with the old fuel and last seasons water separator filter , or top her off with fresh gas before starting it up.  Does it matter ?  What say you guys ?

Since the gas was treated, I’d try staring it up as is and let it run for a bit.  Then change the gas filter/water separator, add fresh fuel, and carry on! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

At least Drain water separator. Then if you want to go really in depth. Drian all fuel rails ,carb bowls ,vst ,purge all gas line..then start with what gas you have.  

Adding more gas to bad gas is still bad gas. Doesnt matter the octane and amount.So dont make a possible issue bigger. 

Edited by 757saltwater

You said the gas was treated so it's good to go. Your mistake was storing with less than a full tank. So run as is or top it off really not an issue except for condensation that may have formed inside the tank. Carry extra fuel filters!

40 mins ago, SB59 said:

You said the gas was treated so it's good to go. Your mistake was storing with less than a full tank. So run as is or top it off really not an issue except for condensation that may have formed inside the tank. Carry extra fuel filters!

Thanks

I have had good success the last several years with leaving the tank almost empty though.      

I think you can go either way. Full tank means less head space for moisture to accumulate in. Empty tank mean you fill up with fresh gas in the spring. I think whatever works for you, and your set up, is what you do. I always stored with a full tank with some stabilizer added before end of season. Had a 150 Mercury 2 stroke, always started up pretty quick in the spring.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:15 PM, SB59 said:

Pre ethanol I'd agree with you.

The fact of the matter is...if you do the math, the amount of water that can actually be generated is extremely negligable,  It would be an issue in the past as it accumulates year after year, but fresh gas (with ethanol) in the spring will absorb any condensate.

The new fuels suck.  Shelf life, even stabilized imo, sucks.  My buddy/neighbor and I always had the full/empty argument.  He stored full until a few years ago...even though I won the argument, I shared the suffering of hand pumping full, phase seperated fuel out of his albermarle, then moving heavy drums off the dock and to the front of the house.

Store it empty and don't worry about condensation.  Topping off is really a should do thing of a bye-gone era.

Puff, fire her up, you wont hurt anything.  Add fresh when you can.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, makorider said:

Puff, fire her up, you wont hurt anything.  Add fresh when you can.

Thats just what I did today . Everything sounded good on the muffs.  Topping her off at the pump tomorrow and weather permitting ,  she will be launched then taken to my slip. 

Thanks G !

A59E447A-A683-4643-9A28-60A4FD91CABF.jpeg

Edited by puff tentacle

I always end the season with as little fuel as I can without obsessing over it. Usually less than half a tank. Treat it and fire it up in the spring on the same tank. The one thing I always do is that I do not change my water separator until my first fill. I also never run to empty. 

That's a nice looking setup Puff - best of luck this season!

I sit firmly in the "store empty" camp - I like to start with fresh fuel every season.  And I stabilize any new fuel I add immediately - always.  This way I'm never worried about how long any fuel has been sitting in my tank.

15 hours ago, vinnyb said:

That's a nice looking setup Puff - best of luck this season!

I sit firmly in the "store empty" camp - I like to start with fresh fuel every season.  And I stabilize any new fuel I add immediately - always.  This way I'm never worried about how long any fuel has been sitting in my tank.

Thanks Vinny and hope you have a good season as well