NJTramcar

Law regarding stripers and circle hooks

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, NJTramcar said:

Is it circle.hooks for everything, for just bait, what?

I keep hearing all different stories.

bait only by law. including snagging bunker. Snag the bunker with a treble - bring it in and switch to live line on circle hook. 

plugs can continue to legally have treble hooks but everyone has their own opinion on switching them to singles.

Edited by jrzyripper

What jrzyripper said. Love this rule. Great for spiking the rod and getting that perfect hookset on the corner of the mouth. That snag and drop practice was brutal on fish especially important now that you have a slot limit and those fish have to go back. 

Been an advocate for circle hooks for many years, and took a lot of heat for it. Now with more catch and release, it has become Common Sense.   I also advocate single hooks on Plugs and lures. The catch ratio is not hurt at all. The Dumb responses were I don't like that I can not set the Hook & I lake to Set The Steel to them. The biggest drawback is the Bait holding but that is solvable. I applaud the fact Fisherman have become, Sportsman. at least the Majority. There will always be Kickers Slobs Machos Men.  There should not have to be a Law Just common sense.  

On 4/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, jrzyripper said:

bait only by law. including snagging bunker. Snag the bunker with a treble - bring it in and switch to live line on circle hook. 

plugs can continue to legally have treble hooks but everyone has their own opinion on switching them to singles.

Yeah, I’m sure the boat guys will snag a bunker and go thru the trouble of switching it over to a circle hook instead of just fishing it.  My guess is you’ll be lucky if 10% of boat fisherman follow that rule.

Sorry, but in years of striper fishing, I have never gut hooked a bass from my boat. I lost a lot due to missed hook set, but that's part of the game. I only use plugs from the beach. Circle hooks are great for people who like to dunk their bait and kick back. If you're not setting the hook, it takes a lot out of the sport. A lot of bass get away with conventional hooks. Circle hooks will cause more bass to be landed and more will be harvested. I'm strictly catch and release with bass.

If it's the law, I'll do it, but I'll hate it.

BTW, I keep separate setups for snagging and live lining. I snag them and they go into the live well.

Just my opinion.