squatchbobo

tsunami Salt x 6000

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What I dont understand is how a lot of guys on the SOL boards anecdotally talk about tsunamis good customer service. I tried to call them once and had the same exact experience as written by biffbaff. Confusion as to who what where to call. Repeated voicemails. Emails. Eventually if you put in enough time like in some old nintendo video game you reach the final boss..the smug lady that doesnt give a crap and acts very inconvenienced to be doing her job. Will never buy a tsunami product again after that train wreck of an experience.

Edited by adams54

has anyone considered compiling a serial number database to see if date of manufacturer will indicate a trend for failures?  

And as to the claim that doing anything to the reel voids the warranty I call BS.  By that logic then doing the bailess swap voids the warranty. Attaching or removing the handle would also void the warranty as those are mechanical servicing.  Add to this the provided tool specifically to disassemble the reel pretty much implies it's fine to service the reel.  

I do see some tiny bit of logic that a user might not torque down the various screws & nuts, improperly put seals back and/or pinch one but that's a risk Tsunami takes in providing the tool.  What would be nice is to go totally the other way and encourage user self maintenance.  Provide videos and things like torque numbers for screws & nuts...that way would make this all go away and likely build more than a cult following. 

BTW, I received mine last week but have only time to do the bail conversion...

Edited by rkw
repaired omissions

3 hours ago, rkw said:

has anyone considered compiling a serial number database to see if date of manufacturer will indicate a trend for failures?  

Why bother doing their quality control for them? Shouldn't they be in charge of that or do they not care about quality control? IMO they make some pretty lofty claims about what that reel can do and it falls way short. Their customer service is beyond pitiful. Theres plenty of other options out there so no need to support a company with poor buisness practices. What I'm beginning to learn is there's more to a good deal then a simple line by line analysis. Sometimes you have to pay a little more for a good deal. Sometimes you have to pay a lot more. With age comes wisdom.

Edited by adams54

On 5/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, mikeadams said:

I am not going to rewrite this, just 100% agree - Do Not Waste your money on a Salt-X 6000, I had two with the exact same problems!!!

Just opened mine up which had $130 bucks worth of service at the beginning of the season. 

Completely filled with water and well a picture is worth…

CD14280B-6FBE-4C99-9046-40F67C01341D.jpeg

Edited by mikeadams

On 6/7/2021 at 3:52 PM, mikeadams said:

Just opened mine up which had $130 bucks worth of service at the beginning of the season. 

Completely filled with water and well a picture is worth…

CD14280B-6FBE-4C99-9046-40F67C01341D.jpeg

Also, I meant to say yesterday that for all of the talk of this reel being “sealed” the main seal on my tsunami saltx 6k is a total joke. The main seal on the tsunami saltx 6000 feels, looks and is pretty much the same diameter and quality of the seals on my $19.99 “ipx6 waterproof” chinese headlamp

lol what an idiot i was for buying this reel and what a total waste of hard-earned money and what horrible customer service. They did a warranty repair on this reel when it was still only a few months but it took an argument to get tsunami to honor the warranty through Reel4Service and then they told me that was “the last time” they would honor my warranty. I guess i’m just screwed now…

Edited by mikeadams

26 mins ago, mikeadams said:

Also, I meant to say yesterday that for all of the talk of this reel being “sealed” the main seal on my tsunami saltx 6k is a total joke. The main seal on the tsunami saltx 6000 feels, looks and is pretty much the same diameter and quality of the seals on my $19.99 “ipx6 waterproof” chinese headlamp

lol what an idiot i was for buying this reel and what a total waste of hard-earned money and what horrible customer service. They did a warranty repair on this reel when it was still only a few months but it took an argument to get tsunami to honor the warranty through Reel4Service and then they told me that was “the last time” they would honor my warranty. I guess i’m just screwed now…

People on YouTube said this was a game changer when it came out. Feel bad for the people that listened. 

WELL I GUESS I'M JUST GONNA BITE THE BULLET ON THIS ONE. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO HAGGLE WITH BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, I WILL JUST TREAT THE REEL AS I DO ANY OF MY OTHERS, SEALED OR NOT. BUT I WILL TELL YOU, I WILL NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER! BUY A PRODUCT FROM TSUNAMI. AND I WILL TELL EVERY SURF CASTER I COME ACROSS NOT TO EITHER. CAN'T WAIT TILL THEY START HAVING TRADE SHOWS SO I CAN SEEK OUT THE TSUNAMI BOOTH AND VOICE MY DIS-PLEASURE OF THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND CRAPPY PRODUCTS! HOPEFULLY "JERRY GOMBER" WILL BE THE SALES REP @ THE SHOW! HE'S THE GUY THAT SAID "WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TAKE APART THE DRAG ASSEMBLY ON A BRAND NEW REEL" !!!!!!. GOOD LUCK GUYS AND GALS.

On 6/7/2021 at 7:05 AM, adams54 said:

Why bother doing their quality control for them? Shouldn't they be in charge of that or do they not care about quality control? IMO they make some pretty lofty claims about what that reel can do and it falls way short. Their customer service is beyond pitiful. Theres plenty of other options out there so no need to support a company with poor buisness practices. What I'm beginning to learn is there's more to a good deal then a simple line by line analysis. Sometimes you have to pay a little more for a good deal. Sometimes you have to pay a lot more. With age comes wisdom.

ok then , why bother ranting if you don't want to gather actual data to document the issues as wide spread and not in specific batches.  Gather more than anecdotal data and you can present a valid case from a consumer protection POV...or just blow off gathering facts to document more than your individual case.  Yes there seems to clearly be issues then again maybe gathering info might suggest something different.   But peeing in the cheerios at every mention might cast doubt and trying to prevent finding a solution to help others who may or may nort have bad copies of the reel.  I've been through this sort of thing with many photogram lenses (ad a few bodies) over the decades and I mean $20k glass that was flawed and never corrected even upon the service promises.  Gathering the data made the differences in pretty  much every case...oh, well...

18 mins ago, rkw said:

ok then , why bother ranting if you don't want to gather actual data to document the issues as wide spread and not in specific batches.  Gather more than anecdotal data and you can present a valid case from a consumer protection POV...or just blow off gathering facts to document more than your individual case.  Yes there seems to clearly be issues then again maybe gathering info might suggest something different.   But peeing in the cheerios at every mention might cast doubt and trying to prevent finding a solution to help others who may or may nort have bad copies of the reel.  I've been through this sort of thing with many photogram lenses (ad a few bodies) over the decades and I mean $20k glass that was flawed and never corrected even upon the service promises.  Gathering the data made the differences in pretty  much every case...oh, well...

So just do it. I said why bother but you seem to have all the time in the world so have at it boss.

Edited by adams54

54 mins ago, rkw said:

Dude, did you even see the pics of the inside of my recently serviced for $130 reel just a couple posts above???

On 4/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, ThrowinPlugs said:

I mean it came out late in the season, then winter, now quarantine, so 'proven' may be a loose team for it. However reports are fair, I 'think' scooby had water intrusion in his? I've heard if badly set o rings causing leaks but it's an easy fix. 

No this is not true, There is no easy fix and it has nothing to do with O rings it is the main seal on the real being a total piece of ****. my SaltX 6000 had $130 worth of maintenance at the beginning of the season, I did not open it until recently and it was a complete cluster**** just take a look at my earlier post with a pic of my reel when i opened it earlier this week.

6 mins ago, mikeadams said:

No this is not true, There is no easy fix and it has nothing to do with O rings it is the main seal on the real being a total piece of ****. my SaltX 6000 had $130 worth of maintenance at the beginning of the season, I did not open it until recently and it was a complete cluster**** just take a look at my earlier post with a pic of my reel when i opened it earlier this week.

So strange how you have had these issues and mine is leak free.  I reeled under water just to test it too.

how do you know it’s the main seal?

4 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

So strange how you have had these issues and mine is leak free.  I reeled under water just to test it too.

Because a) The main seal is total piece of chinese plastic ****, it doesn’t even feel like rubber and

b) I cannot identify any other place where this degree of massive water intrusion but i might be wrong. Maybe @scoobydoo knows? What do you think scooby?

9 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Oh yeah, and c) this is a replacement reel. The first one failed the exact same way

11 mins ago, mikeadams said:

Oh yeah, and c) this is a replacement reel. The first one failed the exact same way

Sorry bud you are rightly pissed.  If you keep your eyes peeled you can find a new VSX 200 new on the bay for about $600.  I got one for $620 but saw them sell a little cheaper.  It’s a much nicer reel.