squatchbobo

tsunami Salt x 6000

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

A note to biffbaffbuff. 

If you want to advertise, email TimS. I assume that you're the owner of the reel servicing firm whose address you've listed. If not, please say so.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:33 AM, Birdsnester said:

Wow that really stinks.  One thing I can say about Tsunami is that they stand behind their stuff.  I broke to Airwaves and they replaced them with no questions.  Hope they do the same for you.  Mine has been great.

machine work looks like ass to me, looks cheezy inside

3 hours ago, mike07gsxr said:

Biggest piece of chit I ever bought. Threw mine in my fire pit. I'll stick with van staal. 

After seeing the inside,  im all set

Im a VS guy anyway.

The gears look like hell

On 20.9.2020 at 9:02 PM, BrianBM said:

A note to biffbaffbuff. 

If you want to advertise, email TimS. I assume that you're the owner of the reel servicing firm whose address you've listed. If not, please say so.

I am not the owner. This is the official reel service center for the saltx from tsunami. I am not affiliated with the company at all besides not being happy that my saltx is filled with water.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:03 AM, BrooklineAngler said:

Just wanted to provide an update.  I finally reached out to Tsunami after figuring out that they’re owned by Bimini Bay Outfitters and calling a few times (not getting a returned call) and trying multiple email addresses. Finally someone emailed me back and gave me a different number and I spoke with an operator who was able to help and gave me the direct number for the company who repairs their reels in FL.  I called them and spoke with the guy and he was happy to help.  I sent the reel out yesterday.  I was told by the Operator at Bimini that they would pay to either repair or replace the reel.  Honestly, I feel like it should be replaced since I bought a “sealed reel” and got bad product..hopefully this was just an issue with earlier versions and things have been improved since. Will update when I have more to share.

Latest update:

Finally received my reel back after about a month.  Seems to be fully repaired and everything is working smooth.  Since I was missing my reel for the fall run I ended up buying a VS200...after my original shock I just couldn’t risk another major gear malfunction even if the reel was fully repaired.  I have not used it since the repair since my VS has been working great.  I will attach a pic of the work done. Im no expert regarding reels, but seems to have had a lot of things replaced just reading the receipt. I only used this reel for like 6 months...

I will have to be super careful around water with this reel moving forward.

08ADE4CB-71FF-4B51-BA82-ED81BFA54C2E.jpeg

Why You Should Never Buy a Tsunami Salt X and How to get Your Money Back if You Did.

Part 1: What to expect from the Salt X

Part 2: Alternative reel options

Part 3: How to get your Salt X serviced

Part 4: How to get your money back (because Tsunami does not deserve your money)

I have been fishing Striped Bass for years, but prior to 2019 this pursuit has usually been conducted from a boat or rocky river shoreline. In 2019 I started exploring my region’s beaches, bought waders and soon after a wet suit, the only article left was a fully sealed spinning reel. Van Staal was the clear option but as the Salt X had recently been released, I and my fishing partner made the budget minded decision to purchase a pair of the Tsunami’s “sealed” Salt x 6000 reels.

I will admit, when I first spooled the reel with 40 lb Daiwa J braid 8x and fished it from the bank, I was mildly impressed. The reel was light enough, had a smooth drag, cranked quite well despite the internal seals and felt solid. I had rather high hopes that it would perform in the surf. On the beach the reel resisted sand well, and was easy to rinse, but that was about the engineering limit of the Salt X.

During the first day of true use in the surf, both of the reels the me any my fishing partner had purchased were used primarily on dry land, though we tried dunking and reeling both underwater for perhaps 30 minutes at the end of the day. Upon our departure, both reels were thoroughly rinsed in freshwater and rinsed again when we got home, let dry and then left to rest. We took the reels out for a second trip on the next weekend and I found that my reel had nearly completely seized and my partner’s had developed a rather annoying grinding “click” upon every revolution of the handle. That night we took the reels apart with Tsunami’s nearly useless service tool (later confirmed to us to be nearly completely useless by Tsunami’s service center, 4 Reel Services) and found water and rust in both reels.

Note: While Tsunami provides a nearly useless service tool with their reel for the purposes of changing the handle and opening the reel I have been informed by 4 reel services that any use of the included tool will technically void the 1-year service warranty.

We re-greased both reels with corrosion-x to mitigate the damage, carefully re-assembled the reels ensuring that all gaskets were properly seated and cranked the reels until they ran smooth-er. We continued fishing the reels on subsequent trips, but the problems continued. My reel got stiffer and stiffer to the point that by the 3rd or 4th trip I almost could not turn the crank and quickly leaned that it would only turn at the end of the day when fully flooded with seawater, the stiff “click” on my partner’s reel never went away.

In addition to this glaring issue of not actually being waterproof, the reels crank so slowly that dozens of revolutions were required to catch up with a plug after casting (~28 inches/crank if I recall), the line lay can be temperamental and often resulted in huge wind knots and lost plugs, the drag clicker spring would frequently pop of the base of the spool, the Winn grip knob was showing clear signs of wear after ~15 days of use and rust and tarnish spots were showing on the outside of the reel despite our best rinsing effort. There was much to be desired from the Salt X and the reel was far from what had been advertised.

Part 2: Alternative reels

I’m sure may readers are probably like me. Keen to get into the surf fishing scene with a sealed reel but perhaps not able or willing to drop $1000 on a Van Staal.

To be completely honest, if you fish anywhere where your reel will stay dry, may get splashed, could get dunked but will not be cranked underwater DO NOT BUY A SALT X  a Shimano Saragossa or Penn Spinfisher VI (fish them both) can handle getting dunked, will be much lighter, smoother and cheaper. There is absolutely no reason you should ever buy a Salt x for these purposes because you will only spend way too much money for a slow, heavy, stiffer reel when many great alternatives exist. If you are dealing with heavy spray and you are really worried about water intrusion just spend a couple more bucks and buy a Van Stall VR, but the Saragossa and Spinfisher will still hold up completely fine.

If you fish anywhere where your reel will be cranked under water DO NOT BUY A SALT X despite how they are advertised, they are NOT a sealed reel and have the general waterproofness of a screen doored submarine. Buy purchasing a Salt X you will only waste $400 that could have been saved for a reel that is built for being submerged.

If you are like me and already own a Salt x, or if you did not read Part 2, or if you want one regardless, this is for you.

Tsunami provides a 1-year warranty on your $400 bid to field test their underwater aluminum dumpster fire. If you would like to get you reel serviced, you can mail it to 4 Reel services with proof of purchase within the 1-year warranty period. Also do not forget to fill out and mail in your warranty card (why you have to snail mail in the Salt X warranty card in 2021 is beyond me).

4 Reel Services

303 E Woolbright Rd #115

Boynton Beach FL 33435

e-mail: 4reelservices@gmail.com

Tel :1-561-509-9055

https://www.4reelservices.com/contact

I found the service center employees to be extremely helpful, quick at what they do, always picked up the phone, and were patient with my many questions. Please extend to them every possible curtesy when getting your reels serviced as apart from fulfilling the reel service contract, they are not under the umbrella of Tsunami. The issues with reel quality are not in any way their fault.

Part 4: How to get your money back for the Salt X (because Tsunami does not deserve your money)

If you read part 2 you should realize by now that you should never have bought a Salt X in the first place for any purpose. My fishing partner and I were able to get our money back after a year of ownership and this is how we did it. However, before I proceed, I will mention at this point that Tsunami (i.e., Bimini Bay outfitter, i.e., Folsom Corp) has in my books the worst, most evasive, rudest, customer service that I have ever experienced from any company period. Full stop. Someone please give them a trophy.

I originally sent both reels to 4 Reels Services with my proof or purchase and a letter explaining the problems that we had with both reels (very similar to Part 1). I further explained that following the grief they had caused and the general ruining of a fishing season after light use and how I would really just prefer the opportunity to return them rather than have 4 Reels Services waste time and money on the repair. I followed up my shipment with a phone call to 4 Reel Services to confirm receipt of the reels and to inquire further about my written request.

As 4 Reel Services was only the warranty center, they kindly directed me to call tsunami (i.e., Bimini Bay Outfitter) to ask about the return, I thanked them and proceeded to dial the provided number. After going through 2 dead phone numbers, I was finally provided with a working contact number (the number for Bimini Bay outfitters is 1-800-688-3481 – ext 119 ,or, NJ  Customer Service njcustomerservice@FOLSOMCORP.COM if you prefer). After finally finding the proper extension, which was no short task, this phone number got me to a voicemail system where I left a short message asking for a call back. I did this 3 times over 2 days and never received a call. On about the 7th call a woman answered the phone in the most disinterested possible voice sounding like nothing on this earth could have been worse than talking to me in that moment. I quickly told her the story of the reels ending with “frankly, these reels are not sealed as advertised and I would just like a refund instead of having them returned” to which she replied “Ha! Well I can’t give you your money back”, yes she actually laughed at me on the phone. This ensued with a discussion that if I could arrange with my place of purchase (in this case Tackle Direct) to refund the price of the reels, then they (Bimini Bay Outfitters) would arrange to re-fund Tackle Direct for the two malfunctioning reels.

I then called Tackle Direct to make arrangements, and after talking to the manager, he very kindly agreed to reimburse me if Tsunami (Bimini Bay) would re-fund them for the reels as promised and he provided me with a code for shipping return. I will also say at this moment that Tackle direct customer service is second to none, they always promptly pick up the phone, they know what they are talking about, they are organized, and they genuinely care about making things right. If any one from Tackle Direct reads this I want to sincerely thank them for all their help, hard work and impeccable service.

Because I do not want to write any more of a book, and I have written enough already I will put this in short. After much discussion and dozens of phone calls, Bimini Bay outfitters arranged for 4 Reel services to send my reels to Tackle direct using my shipping return code. Those malfunctioning reels would then be returned to Bimini Bay Outfitters by Tackle Direct for a refund. Tackle direct did receive those reels, but upon their arrival Bimini Bay Outfitters flat out refused to honour their agreement or to issue any refund. After a few confused phone calls, I forwarded my entire e-mail communication with Bimini Bay Outfitters (Or Folsom Corp…who knows at this point) including the section where they clearly agreed to the refund and the issue was quickly resolved.

This entire process took 5 months of bi-weekly phone calls but should now be streamlined as you now have some indication of how to proceed. The moral of the story is get all agreements in writing over e-mail as Tsunami/Bimini Bay/Folsom clearly will not honour any promises made over the phone and if it was not clear already, DO NOT BUY A SALT -X.

I have not fished my reel since it was repaired, but my friend who also has a 6K with the same issue as mine said his seized up again after repair. It was working fine and he took it out of storage to sell it and it was locked up again. He is extremely pissed as you can imagine

On 3/11/2021 at 9:47 AM, biffbaffbuff said:

Why You Should Never Buy a Tsunami Salt X and How to get Your Money Back if You Did.

Part 4: How to get your money back (because Tsunami does not deserve your money)

I have been fishing Striped Bass for years, but prior to 2019 this pursuit has usually been conducted from a boat or rocky river shoreline. In 2019 I started exploring my region’s beaches, bought waders and soon after a wet suit, the only article left was a fully sealed spinning reel. Van Staal was the clear option but as the Salt X had recently been released, I and my fishing partner made the budget minded decision to purchase a pair of the Tsunami’s “sealed” Salt x 6000 reels.

I will admit, when I first spooled the reel with 40 lb Daiwa J braid 8x and fished it from the bank, I was mildly impressed. The reel was light enough, had a smooth drag, cranked quite well despite the internal seals and felt solid. I had rather high hopes that it would perform in the surf. On the beach the reel resisted sand well, and was easy to rinse, but that was about the engineering limit of the Salt X.

During the first day of true use in the surf, both of the reels the me any my fishing partner had purchased were used primarily on dry land, though we tried dunking and reeling both underwater for perhaps 30 minutes at the end of the day. Upon our departure, both reels were thoroughly rinsed in freshwater and rinsed again when we got home, let dry and then left to rest. We took the reels out for a second trip on the next weekend and I found that my reel had nearly completely seized and my partner’s had developed a rather annoying grinding “click” upon every revolution of the handle. That night we took the reels apart with Tsunami’s nearly useless service tool (later confirmed to us to be nearly completely useless by Tsunami’s service center, 4 Reel Services) and found water and rust in both reels.

Note: While Tsunami provides a nearly useless service tool with their reel for the purposes of changing the handle and opening the reel I have been informed by 4 reel services that any use of the included tool will technically void the 1-year service warranty.

We re-greased both reels with corrosion-x to mitigate the damage, carefully re-assembled the reels ensuring that all gaskets were properly seated and cranked the reels until they ran smooth-er. We continued fishing the reels on subsequent trips, but the problems continued. My reel got stiffer and stiffer to the point that by the 3rd or 4th trip I almost could not turn the crank and quickly leaned that it would only turn at the end of the day when fully flooded with seawater, the stiff “click” on my partner’s reel never went away.

In addition to this glaring issue of not actually being waterproof, the reels crank so slowly that dozens of revolutions were required to catch up with a plug after casting (~28 inches/crank if I recall), the line lay can be temperamental and often resulted in huge wind knots and lost plugs, the drag clicker spring would frequently pop of the base of the spool, the Winn grip knob was showing clear signs of wear after ~15 days of use and rust and tarnish spots were showing on the outside of the reel despite our best rinsing effort. There was much to be desired from the Salt X and the reel was far from what had been advertised.

I’m sure may readers are probably like me. Keen to get into the surf fishing scene with a sealed reel but perhaps not able or willing to drop $1000 on a Van Staal.

To be completely honest, if you fish anywhere where your reel will stay dry, may get splashed, could get dunked but will not be cranked underwater DO NOT BUY A SALT X  a Shimano Saragossa or Penn Spinfisher VI (fish them both) can handle getting dunked, will be much lighter, smoother and cheaper. There is absolutely no reason you should ever buy a Salt x for these purposes because you will only spend way too much money for a slow, heavy, stiffer reel when many great alternatives exist. If you are dealing with heavy spray and you are really worried about water intrusion just spend a couple more bucks and buy a Van Stall VR, but the Saragossa and Spinfisher will still hold up completely fine.

If you fish anywhere where your reel will be cranked under water DO NOT BUY A SALT X despite how they are advertised, they are NOT a sealed reel and have the general waterproofness of a screen doored submarine. Buy purchasing a Salt X you will only waste $400 that could have been saved for a reel that is built for being submerged.

If you are like me and already own a Salt x, or if you did not read Part 2, or if you want one regardless, this is for you.

Tsunami provides a 1-year warranty on your $400 bid to field test their underwater aluminum dumpster fire. If you would like to get you reel serviced, you can mail it to 4 Reel services with proof of purchase within the 1-year warranty period. Also do not forget to fill out and mail in your warranty card (why you have to snail mail in the Salt X warranty card in 2021 is beyond me).

4 Reel Services

303 E Woolbright Rd #115

Boynton Beach FL 33435

I found the service center employees to be extremely helpful, quick at what they do, always picked up the phone, and were patient with my many questions. Please extend to them every possible curtesy when getting your reels serviced as apart from fulfilling the reel service contract, they are not under the umbrella of Tsunami. The issues with reel quality are not in any way their fault.

Part 4: How to get your money back for the Salt X (because Tsunami does not deserve your money)

If you read part 2 you should realize by now that you should never have bought a Salt X in the first place for any purpose. My fishing partner and I were able to get our money back after a year of ownership and this is how we did it. However, before I proceed, I will mention at this point that Tsunami (i.e., Bimini Bay outfitter, i.e., Folsom Corp) has in my books the worst, most evasive, rudest, customer service that I have ever experienced from any company period. Full stop. Someone please give them a trophy.

I originally sent both reels to 4 Reels Services with my proof or purchase and a letter explaining the problems that we had with both reels (very similar to Part 1). I further explained that following the grief they had caused and the general ruining of a fishing season after light use and how I would really just prefer the opportunity to return them rather than have 4 Reels Services waste time and money on the repair. I followed up my shipment with a phone call to 4 Reel Services to confirm receipt of the reels and to inquire further about my written request.

As 4 Reel Services was only the warranty center, they kindly directed me to call tsunami (i.e., Bimini Bay Outfitter) to ask about the return, I thanked them and proceeded to dial the provided number. After going through 2 dead phone numbers, I was finally provided with a working contact number (the number for Bimini Bay outfitters is 1-800-688-3481 – ext 119 ,or, NJ  Customer Service njcustomerservice@FOLSOMCORP.COM if you prefer). After finally finding the proper extension, which was no short task, this phone number got me to a voicemail system where I left a short message asking for a call back. I did this 3 times over 2 days and never received a call. On about the 7th call a woman answered the phone in the most disinterested possible voice sounding like nothing on this earth could have been worse than talking to me in that moment. I quickly told her the story of the reels ending with “frankly, these reels are not sealed as advertised and I would just like a refund instead of having them returned” to which she replied “Ha! Well I can’t give you your money back”, yes she actually laughed at me on the phone. This ensued with a discussion that if I could arrange with my place of purchase (in this case Tackle Direct) to refund the price of the reels, then they (Bimini Bay Outfitters) would arrange to re-fund Tackle Direct for the two malfunctioning reels.

I then called Tackle Direct to make arrangements, and after talking to the manager, he very kindly agreed to reimburse me if Tsunami (Bimini Bay) would re-fund them for the reels as promised and he provided me with a code for shipping return. I will also say at this moment that Tackle direct customer service is second to none, they always promptly pick up the phone, they know what they are talking about, they are organized, and they genuinely care about making things right. If any one from Tackle Direct reads this I want to sincerely thank them for all their help, hard work and impeccable service.

Because I do not want to write any more of a book, and I have written enough already I will put this in short. After much discussion and dozens of phone calls, Bimini Bay outfitters arranged for 4 Reel services to send my reels to Tackle direct using my shipping return code. Those malfunctioning reels would then be returned to Bimini Bay Outfitters by Tackle Direct for a refund. Tackle direct did receive those reels, but upon their arrival Bimini Bay Outfitters flat out refused to honour their agreement or to issue any refund. After a few confused phone calls, I forwarded my entire e-mail communication with Bimini Bay Outfitters (Or Folsom Corp…who knows at this point) including the section where they clearly agreed to the refund and the issue was quickly resolved.

This entire process took 5 months of bi-weekly phone calls but should now be streamlined as you now have some indication of how to proceed. The moral of the story is get all agreements in writing over e-mail as Tsunami/Bimini Bay/Folsom clearly will not honour any promises made over the phone and if it was not clear already, DO NOT BUY A SALT -X.

This was pretty much the same experience I had, but mine got repaired. This gave a good laugh and I’ll probably have nightmares again  for months. 

I TOO HAD AN ISSUE WITH THIS REEL REGARDING REMOVAL OF THE NUT ON TOP OF THE SPOOL TO INSPECT THE DRAG WASHERS. THE RESPONSE WAS WAY LESS THAN COURTEOUS. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT DOING ANYTHING TO THE REEL WOULD VOID THE WARRANTY! THAT POS TOOL THEY SUPPLIED ACTUALLY CHIPPED TO THE POINT OF BEING UNUSABLE, HOWEVER I FASHIONED MY OWN TOOL AND WAS ABLE TO ACHIEVE MY GOAL. I POSTED ABOUT THIS EARLIER THIS YEAR IF YOU CARE TO CHECK IT OUT (PLEASE). INCLUDING THE PHONE# AND E-MAIL OF A SALES REP JERRY GOMBER , ONE BAD APPLE OF A SALESMAN. MY CURRENT ISSUE WITH THIS REEL IS THAT I HAVE BEEN USING IT SINCE MARCH AND ON AT LEAST 2 OCCASIONS THE REEL LOCKED-UP FROM VERY MINUTE SPLASHES WHILE WADING IN THE NJ SURF (NOT DUNKING)FORTUNATELY I WAS ABLE TO FREE IT UP AND CONTINUE FISHING, BUT SCARED TO DEATH THAT IT MIGHT HAPPEN WHILE TRYING TO LAND A SIZABLE FISH, BUT THAT DID NOT HAPPEN EITHER (LOL). I HAVE TO ADMIT, MY CONFIDENCE IN THIS REEL IS WANING AND I'M STARTING TO THINK THAT I HAVE BEEN FLEECED. I HAVE ALWAYS PURCHASED DAIWA REELS, SOME OF THEM AS OLD AS THE 4000C SILVER SERIES AND SOME NEWER. THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN RELIABLE AND HAVE WITHSTOOD MORE THAN THEIR SHARE OF ACTUAL DUNKING, BUT HAVE NEVER FAILED. I STILL HAVE ALL OF THEM AND IF I WAS SURE THAT I COULD USE BRAIDED LINE ON THEM I WOULD TAKE THEM OUT OF MOTHBALLS AND START USING THEM. ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

MIKE O   

On 4/29/2020 at 10:10 AM, tfucini said:

IMO there is no reason to open this or any sealed reel just to "look inside". If an issue arises then that would be a different story. 

ALWAYS open a reel just to look inside. The sooner the better. 

Just buy a Penn Torque. They sit right in the middle of the price structure at $600 and they're tanks. I have a (well four really) Gen1 Torque 5BL I use hard and it's held up well for three seasons so far. If heaven forfend, anything goes wrong with it, Penn is right on the other end of the phone and they have a presence here on SOL. Just buy a Torque.

15 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Just buy a Penn Torque. They sit right in the middle of the price structure at $600 and they're tanks. I have a (well four really) Gen1 Torque 5BL I use hard and it's held up well for three seasons so far. If heaven forfend, anything goes wrong with it, Penn is right on the other end of the phone and they have a presence here on SOL. Just buy a Torque.

I paid $620 for a new VSX 200.  IMO it’s a real good value at that price.  I also have the Saltx and it’s worth the money.  Never had an issue and I reel under water.

the fit and finish on the VS is much better though 

On 3/11/2021 at 9:47 AM, biffbaffbuff said:

4 Reel Services

303 E Woolbright Rd #115

Boynton Beach FL 33435

I am not going to rewrite this, just 100% agree - Do Not Waste your money on a Salt-X 6000, I had two with the exact same problems!!!