squatchbobo

tsunami Salt x 6000

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, biffbaffbuff said:

Bought two last year for myself and a friend. After two weekend in the surf mine started to make a squeaky noise. Opened it up today and it was loaded with water. The anti-reverse clutch had some rust build-up and made the squeaky noise. Cleaned everything out, greased it and put it back together. I will contact Tsunami.

After that, I opened the one from my buddy and it also had water inside but much less than the first one.

(Water in the picture is after most of it has run out already)

IMG_5252.jpg

How exactly were you fishing them in the surf? Occasional spray, dunking, reeling underwater? These reels definitely are not sealed to the extent that you'd expect from a VS or ZB. VR equivalent at best.

10 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

How exactly were you fishing them in the surf? Occasional spray, dunking, reeling underwater? These reels definitely are not sealed to the extent that you'd expect from a VS or ZB. VR equivalent at best.

They were dunked a lot and also reeled underwater. I agree with you that they are definitely not a fully sealed reel like advertised by Tsunami. At least they are easy to service but I was hoping they would perform better.

5 hours ago, biffbaffbuff said:

They were dunked a lot and also reeled underwater. I agree with you that they are definitely not a fully sealed reel like advertised by Tsunami. At least they are easy to service but I was hoping they would perform better.

I bought one last fall when I had to send a VS in for service. Like I said it feels/ seems very similar to a VR. I wouldn't want to purposely crank either reel under water. I would bite the bullet and bump up to an actual VS or ZB if that's how you generally fish. I think the Salt X and the VR are a good choice when dealing with the occasional dunking and heavy spray but when long term or repeated submersion's are unlikely.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:57 PM, BrooklineAngler said:

I hate to be the one to post something negative, but have been hearing and feeling scratching sounds with my SaltX 6k.  Used it about 30 times this season and bought it new back in December.  I opened it up tonight for the first time and was shocked to see a bunch of water dump out.  I have definitely submerged it on almost every outing, but I am very careful not to crank it while submerged.  Maybe I just got a defective one.  I love the reel. Sad to see this. Plan on calling Tsunami this weekend to get a replacement. 

E8F3C89B-A577-4E7A-810B-EFEAEEF89587.jpeg

50FC7465-430A-4E0B-A61A-6DAC2FE34154.jpeg

92DE1B44-79B1-4968-8789-037961D645AC.jpeg

Just wanted to provide an update.  I finally reached out to Tsunami after figuring out that they’re owned by Bimini Bay Outfitters and calling a few times (not getting a returned call) and trying multiple email addresses. Finally someone emailed me back and gave me a different number and I spoke with an operator who was able to help and gave me the direct number for the company who repairs their reels in FL.  I called them and spoke with the guy and he was happy to help.  I sent the reel out yesterday.  I was told by the Operator at Bimini that they would pay to either repair or replace the reel.  Honestly, I feel like it should be replaced since I bought a “sealed reel” and got bad product..hopefully this was just an issue with earlier versions and things have been improved since. Will update when I have more to share.

People really thought your getting a truly sealed reel at that price point especially one that just came out. Come on. Get a vs or a z   Or even a much more proven torque. 

On 8/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, Sandbar1 said:

I bought one last fall when I had to send a VS in for service. Like I said it feels/ seems very similar to a VR. I wouldn't want to purposely crank either reel under water. I would bite the bullet and bump up to an actual VS or ZB if that's how you generally fish. I think the Salt X and the VR are a good choice when dealing with the occasional dunking and heavy spray but when long term or repeated submersion's are unlikely.

I've had my VR175 for 4+ years now and I dunk and reel underwater every time I fish. No signs of water intrusion at all.

Edited by VitaminDee

1 hour ago, BrooklineAngler said:

Just wanted to provide an update.  I finally reached out to Tsunami after figuring out that they’re owned by Bimini Bay Outfitters and calling a few times (not getting a returned call) and trying multiple email addresses. Finally someone emailed me back and gave me a different number and I spoke with an operator who was able to help and gave me the direct number for the company who repairs their reels in FL.  I called them and spoke with the guy and he was happy to help.  I sent the reel out yesterday.  I was told by the Operator at Bimini that they would pay to either repair or replace the reel.  Honestly, I feel like it should be replaced since I bought a “sealed reel” and got bad product..hopefully this was just an issue with earlier versions and things have been improved since. Will update when I have more to share.

I know this for certain.  Tsunami stands behind their products.  Two of my rods broke, partially my fault I suppose but they offered to replace them or allowed me to upgrade for the difference in price.  I am pretty sure that you will be taken care of.  My 6000 is still working perfectly.

Guys , not a dunker, skisher, or reel under water.........but do my share of fishing on the bars and getting heavy splashing in typical nor'easter, etc....what would be the better choice  a Salt X 6000 or a Penn Slammer 3 560...........currently I fish all Penn Slammers 460's , 560's and love them( the originals).....but I would like a little bit more splash resistance.........thoughts please

On 8/13/2020 at 8:03 AM, BrooklineAngler said:

Latest update. After sending my reel out to FL for repair. The lady responsible for reel warranties finally emailed me back after 2 weeks of no response.  She told me she was debating whether or not to replace my reel since I had opened it and she had no proof I hadn’t caused this myself.  My reel had already been sent in as directed by the operator of the company after telling me it was under warranty.  After seeing other similar posts, this is clearly an issue with the reels. Hopefully it’s just the earlier versions that have problems (bought mine in Dec 2019). . Will continue to provide updates.  I will probably not be satisfied unless they replace the reel otherwise I’ll constantly be thinking it could be leaking. Not happy about this, but what can I do...will by a VS next time.

7 hours ago, BrooklineAngler said:

Latest update. After sending my reel out to FL for repair. The lady responsible for reel warranties finally emailed me back after 2 weeks of no response.  She told me she was debating whether or not to replace my reel since I had opened it and she had no proof I hadn’t caused this myself.  My reel had already been sent in as directed by the operator of the company after telling me it was under warranty.  After seeing other similar posts, this is clearly an issue with the reels. Hopefully it’s just the earlier versions that have problems (bought mine in Dec 2019). . Will continue to provide updates.  I will probably not be satisfied unless they replace the reel otherwise I’ll constantly be thinking it could be leaking. Not happy about this, but what can I do...will by a VS next time.

That stinks.  Thanks for the update.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:24 PM, beret said:

Guys , not a dunker, skisher, or reel under water.........but do my share of fishing on the bars and getting heavy splashing in typical nor'easter, etc....what would be the better choice  a Salt X 6000 or a Penn Slammer 3 560...........currently I fish all Penn Slammers 460's , 560's and love them( the originals).....but I would like a little bit more splash resistance.........thoughts please

Don't leave the one you love?

When I settle on a reel (or rod) it's for a lot of subjective and human factor reasons. Aesthetics? Yep and it has nothing to do with performance. Price? Yeah same thing. But then you get to the weight of the reel, the sealing, the line lay, drag performance, etc. 

So for me after playing with the Penn Slammer III, Spinfisher IV, Daiwa BG, Shimano Saragosa & Spheros .... I've ended up with a Van Staal VR 150 & Tsunami 6K. But I have these reels because I was able to get them at a percentage discount off the MSRP price. And it occurred to me that those particular reels would be easier to maintain by myself (DIY). They are silver which is esthetically pleasing give the rods they are mated to.

I think technically the Tsunami 6K will perform better in the sealing department than the Slammer III ... but how much better? For the price? And most importantly in your own subjective mind?

By and large the reels in the market place today are so much better (particularly in the sealing department) ... then the old flame favorites to yesteryear ... I still have (and will have) a couple of Penn Spinfishers, made in the USA (Pennsylvania) . I just need more time to fish them.

2 of my friends have them. One loves it, one had minor issues with it immediately. Ive used it a few times. The reel feels great, smooth, and powerful.However, I may seem bias but I think id feel more confident just buying a used VS for a few bucks more.

From BrooklineAngler:

I finally reached out to Tsunami after figuring out that they’re owned by Bimini Bay Outfitters and calling a few times (not getting a returned call) and trying multiple email addresses. Finally someone emailed me back and gave me a different number and I spoke with an operator who was able to help and gave me the direct number for the company who repairs their reels in FL.  I called them and spoke with the guy and he was happy to help.  I sent the reel out yesterday.  

Mr. BrAn:

Can you give me the contacts/Email addresses that worked for you to return your TS6000.  My TS6000 has developed a loud squeal, identical to the complaints and postings in this Thread.  Reel is new this year. I do not swim fish either; but I fish a heavy terrain and environment.

Thank you, SK