squatchbobo

tsunami Salt x 6000

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Just bought the 6000 last week. First night hooking into decent fish it starting some kind of grinding. Like I can feel the gears and its loud. Took it back got a new one . Hoping that one was just a lemon. Let's see what happens. I'll report back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used mine a few months last year, now this year I have been using it almost exclusively.  I am getting pretty comfortable dunking it and even reeling under water.  Although I have not opened it I find that it feels exactly like new after reeling under water and plenty of dunks.  So for it's a pretty great reel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I used mine a few months last year, now this year I have been using it almost exclusively.  I am getting pretty comfortable dunking it and even reeling under water.  Although I have not opened it I find that it feels exactly like new after reeling under water and plenty of dunks.  So for it's a pretty great reel...

If/when you do open it up, give us an update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I used mine a few months last year, now this year I have been using it almost exclusively.  I am getting pretty comfortable dunking it and even reeling under water.  Although I have not opened it I find that it feels exactly like new after reeling under water and plenty of dunks.  So for it's a pretty great reel...

IMO there is no reason to open this or any sealed reel just to "look inside". If an issue arises then that would be a different story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, tfucini said:

IMO there is no reason to open this or any sealed reel just to "look inside". If an issue arises then that would be a different story. 

Would you not give your reel a yearly teardown and service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Would you not give your reel a yearly teardown and service?

Depends on the situation/how the reel was used. 

 

On a reel that was fished heavily in the surf and submerged regularly. Yes I would have it serviced at the end of the season. If the same reel was only lightly splashed and not pushed hard, I would put that off. 

 

I could have also taken Birdsnester's commit also as "just taking the reel apart for the sake of it" when he could have meant doing a service.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, tfucini said:

Depends on the situation/how the reel was used. 

 

On a reel that was fished heavily in the surf and submerged regularly. Yes I would have it serviced at the end of the season. If the same reel was only lightly splashed and not pushed hard, I would put that off. 

 

I could have also taken Birdsnester's commit also as "just taking the reel apart for the sake of it" when he could have meant doing a service.

 

 

That makes sense. I send the reels that spend a lot of time under water in for service at the end of each season. Otherwise I just tear down a reel as necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tfucini said:

IMO there is no reason to open this or any sealed reel just to "look inside". If an issue arises then that would be a different story. 

Won't they need normal maintenance?  Doesn't the grease wear out with use?  I would think so but now you have me thinking.

'

 

 

 

'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, tfucini said:

Depends on the situation/how the reel was used. 

 

On a reel that was fished heavily in the surf and submerged regularly. Yes I would have it serviced at the end of the season. If the same reel was only lightly splashed and not pushed hard, I would put that off. 

 

I could have also taken Birdsnester's commit also as "just taking the reel apart for the sake of it" when he could have meant doing a service.

 

 

I was actually curious to see if anything was going on in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it feels the same as when you bought it, more than likely nothing is going on inside. Are you regularly submerging the reel? swimming with it? reeling while the rotor is under water? If not, I wouldn't touch it until it starts to feel "different" 

 

I have had reels that needed service multiple times throughout the season and others that I've serviced every few years. 

 

Just some personal examples below: 

 

For a reel that is getting fished heavily in the surf and regularly dunked/submerged I would service it every year. If it's just seeing light spray and not a ton of stress, I'd probably leave it alone for 2 seasons (I'd let my old VS150 go 3 seasons sometimes without service) 

 

I have Accurate Lever Drag reels that I'll let go usually 2-3 seasons with out service if they didn't see enough use. Over the years, I've had to service them and other conventional reels sometimes multiple times in the same season. 

 

One of my Shimano Tranx needed service in July last year, it is now back to them again for service before the season but my other Tranx was used probably as much as the first Tranx mentioned throughout the season and it went back this spring just for "peace of mind". 

 

I'm fishing a SaltX 4K and SaltX 6K this season. The 6K will be used while wetsuit fishing and I'll service it in the fall but the 4K is being used for spring bass, from the kayak, and fall Tog. I won't plan to service it in the fall unless it feels as if it should be serviced.

 

IMO unless the reel feels like it should be serviced or has been pushed to the extreme then it shouldn't be opened up just for the sake of it. Everyone has different thoughts on this though. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be the one to post something negative, but have been hearing and feeling scratching sounds with my SaltX 6k.  Used it about 30 times this season and bought it new back in December.  I opened it up tonight for the first time and was shocked to see a bunch of water dump out.  I have definitely submerged it on almost every outing, but I am very careful not to crank it while submerged.  Maybe I just got a defective one.  I love the reel. Sad to see this. Plan on calling Tsunami this weekend to get a replacement. 

E8F3C89B-A577-4E7A-810B-EFEAEEF89587.jpeg

50FC7465-430A-4E0B-A61A-6DAC2FE34154.jpeg

92DE1B44-79B1-4968-8789-037961D645AC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BrooklineAngler said:

I hate to be the one to post something negative, but have been hearing and feeling scratching sounds with my SaltX 6k.  Used it about 30 times this season and bought it new back in December.  I opened it up tonight for the first time and was shocked to see a bunch of water dump out.  I have definitely submerged it on almost every outing, but I am very careful not to crank it while submerged.  Maybe I just got a defective one.  I love the reel. Sad to see this. Plan on calling Tsunami this weekend to get a replacement. 

E8F3C89B-A577-4E7A-810B-EFEAEEF89587.jpeg

50FC7465-430A-4E0B-A61A-6DAC2FE34154.jpeg

92DE1B44-79B1-4968-8789-037961D645AC.jpeg

Wow that really stinks.  One thing I can say about Tsunami is that they stand behind their stuff.  I broke to Airwaves and they replaced them with no questions.  Hope they do the same for you.  Mine has been great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see update on this as well. I get it splashed often when I’m wading in the surf. So far so good, but I haven’t opened mine up yet to see if there’s any water trapped in there. I don’t reel under water or submerge it though... Just a lot of splash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.