Flips

Alberto knot or FG knot?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I wish I could tie an FG, but I cant tie a good one out in the open or in a boat.  I've lost too much gear on that knot, mostly because of my old ass eyes.  The Alberto may not be as smooth as the FG but it is close.  I can tie Albertos in the dark and can tie it pretty fast too.  Plus, my Alberto knots last a long time and are stronger than the clip end Palomar knot.  Guess I'm just saying tie which ever you can tie the best.

Edited by Dreamland

On 4/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, Dreamland said:

I wish I could tie an FG, but I cant tie a good one out in the open or in a boat.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:33 PM, Jdiesel said:

In all honesty, with a fly bobbin the FG is the knot to tie. 

I got a hard time tying that one.In ideal conditions, sitting at a bench ,maybe.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:52 PM, Flips said:

Going to setup my surf rods tonight to go on a night fishing trip tonight and I get so many suggestions to do either knot but I have no clue which one is better. I’ve tried both but I just want to know which one is truely a better braid to leader knot...

Use a knot you can tie in any fishing conditions. High winds, only using red head light at night, raining etc. I watch these heros break off and spend 10-15 minutes trying to tie there fance FG knot. However if you practice enough both knots are very good. Sometimes big fish only give you a few minutes to capitalize. I have been using Albright for 40 years and it’s a solid and strong connection. Hope this helps 

I use a dual uniknot.  I have had issues with the braid choking the leader and basically pinch it right at the knot.   This is with 15lb fireline and 30lb mono leaders.  Fluoro have not had a problem.  No problem with 30lb 832 suffix and 50lb yozuri leaders at the jetty rocks.....

I looked and could not find the "Scooby Improved Alberto Knot".  I used the FG knot previously but found the Alberto knot less of a hassle. Just wondering what the improved Alberto is?  On the FG I found a few double wraps and half hitches and some glue aft of the mono cut off,  made that possible line hang flow fine.

FG flat out sucks IMO, I have had it com apart on me fresh water so i have stuck with the Alberto. I have no confidence in it. I may revisit the FG another time.

Edited by nfnDrum
added more

Are their 2 different FG knots? The one i tried tying acted like chineese COVID finger cuffs total crap. Another one looks more like a weaved Alberto knot. That one I can see holding well.

These are not the same knots WTF?

https://www.101knots.com/fg-knot.html

Edited by nfnDrum

I hear people losing fish on FG knots a lot on FB. They do use the FG knot with big fish like the PR knot. The PR knot needs a tool and more wraps.  Some tips are tying it under tension. I don't like the fast way like wrapping around two fingers for fast tying. Cinch it down hard so that the mono / fluoro curls and the braid changes color for most of the wraps.  Use heavy gloves or a dowel. I actually use a 20lb dumb bell to keep the tension consistent when cinching down the knot. It is better to use a thicker leader like at least 20lbs mono/fluoro.  You can do a braid on braid FG knot which I have never done.

Edited by Draekon
minor grammar

Hollow braid to the main line no knots a hint of gorilla glue to hold it in place and to make you feel better and ty a swivel to the hollow core and add your rig . If your using 20lb mono or 30 braid using a simple tapestry needle will get the main line thru 30 or 50 hollow braid .i added 15 ft of 50 lb hollow for a 12 ft convental rig and it never snapped of throwing 4/5 ounces on a high low rig .also helped with maim line chafing around rocks.rd1