Flips

Alberto knot or FG knot?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Going to setup my surf rods tonight to go on a night fishing trip tonight and I get so many suggestions to do either knot but I have no clue which one is better. I’ve tried both but I just want to know which one is truely a better braid to leader knot...

I’m not sure from a breaking strength standpoint which one is stronger, but I use both for different applications. I find myself using the fg when I want a longer leader that’ll pass through the guides easily, typically on heavier setups. 

The Alberto I use on lighter setups with smaller guides and shorter leaders that won’t pass through the guides.  Alberto is also easier and quicker to tie. FG is easy enough, I find, but takes more time than the Alberto.  

I find Alberto's slip and has caused me to lose a couple of lures.  I've tried every tutorial and still could get it to slip. .  Now that could be because I suck at tying knots but I've never once had a FG fail even when I was first learning to tie it. 

I think The FG is a better knot overall. It's stronger from the get go, and it holds up better over time.  If I snag a rock, I almost always get my leader back with an FG knot ( with similar line and leader strength).  When I used to use the Alberto, I'd have to retie my leader. 

The reason?  An FG knot distributes the load across a broader section of line, thus retaining more line strength.

7 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

I find Alberto's slip and has caused me to lose a couple of lures.  I've tried every tutorial and still could get it to slip. .  Now that could be because I suck at tying knots but I've never once had a FG fail even when I was first learning to tie it. 

Have you tried scoobs improved Alberto knot? Hasn’t failed on me yet..

i used alberto for light leader usually freshwater 10lb braid to 6flb leader. FG for saltwater usually 15lb braid to 20lb leader. I prefer FG knot but it really hard to do it with light setup.

9 mins ago, kuro said:

i used alberto for light leader usually freshwater 10lb braid to 6flb leader. FG for saltwater usually 15lb braid to 20lb leader. I prefer FG knot but it really hard to do it with light setup.

I’m using it on heavy setup 30lb braid to 80lb fluro

1 min ago, Flips said:

I’m using it on heavy setup 30lb braid to 80lb fluro

I use both and would prefer the FG in case, 80# folded over for the alberto is a fat knot and not going through the guides easily, especially connected to 30# braid

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

I want to try the 10 x 10 knot.  Looks good.  

I’ll look into that knot sounds interesting.

25 mins ago, oneeyewilly said:

80 lb.? Why not just use wire . Lol 

mono/floro is way easier than wire leaders, wire leaders get beat up to much and suck.