riggler

Chinese takeout

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

So last night I asked my son what he wanted for dinner....the reply was Chinese.

Told him I would buy if he would go get it, so he called the local take out place that we 

always felt was the best in the area, plus the owners live a half mile up the street from us

( i live in central ct.)  They have been in business probably 20 years, seem to be nice people.

They were closed, no explanation on their phone or website. I thought that was wierd because they 

do only take out and most of the restaurants in my area are open doing takeout.

The kid called a total of 11 Chinese Restaurants in my area, not a one was open.  

Pizza, yes, Italian, yes. Mediterranean , yes, subs,burgers, even seafood places are open.

Im just wondering if it is like this everywhere ? 

The 2 closest to me are closed too. I think the whole Wuhan thing shed a bad light on that type of cuisine. Seems to have had a huge negative influence on business for them.

Probably with all the things they went with most of them decided to just take a break and close down shop. Same over here. Only seen 1 open for take out. 

I live in Delaware, not one is open here either. I don’t think it’s as much a Wuhan thing as it is the Asian community in general where masks and are concerned for their own health. They got it real fast about social distancing and understood the ramifications of this virus. They are not all feely touchy with handshakes for this reason as well. On another note not a nail salon open either around here. 

A lot of those Asian businesses are closed due to crimes against Asians are rising because of the Corona virus.  I'm sure it's not happening in some neighborhoods but it's happening a lot in most.  I live in Brooklyn and all of the Chinese supermarkets are closed.  And they are normally opened even on major holidays.  

Nearest near my home are closed, I have to drive 35 minutes for the one that open for take away only, no dine in :banghd:

I'm in eastern LI.. all but 1 closed by me as well.  the local sushi spots also..

Definitely has something to do with this being called the China virus 9 million times on TV.. 

I'm in Deer Park LI, all of them are closed, BUT on a good note I make my own at home!! You figure you go into a Chinese spot for takeout and your out of there in less than 15min, it aint that hard to make!

32 mins ago, prican1 said:

I'm in Deer Park LI, all of them are closed, BUT on a good note I make my own at home!! You figure you go into a Chinese spot for takeout and your out of there in less than 15min, it aint that hard to make!

2 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

A lot of those Asian businesses are closed due to crimes against Asians are rising because of the Corona virus.  I'm sure it's not happening in some neighborhoods but it's happening a lot in most.  I live in Brooklyn and all of the Chinese supermarkets are closed.  And they are normally opened even on major holidays.  

Is that true?  I haven't been there for a couple of weeks, but as of March 25th or so the Chinese market on 62/Ft Hamilton was still open.

I think it had less to do with crimes against Asians, and more to do with business dropping off.  I know more than a few people who believed they were more likely to get the virus ordering takeout from an Asian place (not just Chinese) versus other cuisines.  That perception, along with the virus originating in China, had to have taken a serious toll on whatever business they would have during a lockdown.  They might have just decided it wasn't worth the time and money to open.

12 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Is that true?  I haven't been there for a couple of weeks, but as of March 25th or so the Chinese market on 62/Ft Hamilton was still open.

I think it had less to do with crimes against Asians, and more to do with business dropping off.  I know more than a few people who believed they were more likely to get the virus ordering takeout from an Asian place (not just Chinese) versus other cuisines.  That perception, along with the virus originating in China, had to have taken a serious toll on whatever business they would have during a lockdown.  They might have just decided it wasn't worth the time and money to open.

The place we order from is family owned and stable, clean, and appears to do a lot of business.They are in a midsize nice shopping center, and probably have a sizeable rent payment, they have to have been there close to 20 years, and never seemed to be closed, and they have never offered delivery. Unless im really out of touch they would be very busy if they were open.  Is the typical takeout customer really thinking there is a connection to the virus ?

I was curious and had my son call everything we could find on google maps within 20 minutes of our house, and all were closed. That included some places that are shiteholes that I would never order from, but called for the hell of it.

Wonder how many of these places will reopen when things return to normal.