delaware surfman

Conventional reel advise

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Don't overthink the reel most casters coming from a spinning background have a snappy power cast that will blow up a coventional reel. It's all about being smooth, start with a lob and build up for distance. You won't go wrong with most of the reels reccomended. I would buy a Penn Squall star drag and be done with it (landed my biggest surf caught fish on a squall 15). It's a solid reel with external mag controls. You'll be able to adjust speed as you learn.

Old squidders and such  have dreadfully slow retrieval speeds with low gear ratios, not fun once you start hitting the outer bar on Assateague.

Omoto makes good reels , imo. While I like Abu's, I like Omoto's more!:howdy:

Built in the style and components of the "I" type 7000's. Gosh I despise those "i" reels, lol

59 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Omoto makes good reels , imo. While I like Abu's, I like Omoto's more!:howdy:

Built in the style and components of the "I" type 7000's. Gosh I despise those "i" reels, lol

What's the matter JImmy?   Don't like complicated plastic guts?

slosh 20, abu 6500, fathom 15 , calcutta 400........all will do fine.  others mention 7500 and 30's the bigger class reels id stay away from, as the smaller reels are way lighter and have plenty capacity of 17 lb mono. put the two sizes on the rod and you will see a big difference.  only upside of 30 class reel I see is having the line capacity for a couple break offs before u need to respool ....

3 hours ago, Stewie said:

What's the matter JImmy?   Don't like complicated plastic guts?

lol, Hi my old friend.

I don't like those springs attached to the eccentric lever, I don't like that parts are different from other Abu7000's. If it's not broken, why try and fix it. IMO a poor move Abu made. I don't know how the newest 7000's are but I won't test the waters

With the Omoto 7000's it's like working on pre Abu 7000. :howdy:

21 hours ago, BrianBM said:

No level wind, please. And no Squidder, let great-grandpa enjoy his, but it's badly out of date.

Grandpa also has a few fast tournament reels and a few contests from the good ol days.

If you can cast a squider then you can do all right with the high speed reels.

ps Just trying to help the new guy out without getting crap from a moderator.

Daiwa SLSH 30 ("SLOSH 30") is a time proven smooth casting reel and IMO the perfect reel to learn on.  Centrifugal and friction braking, kind of old school, but a rock solid reel.  They can be bought cheap used, and they are fairly easy to maintain.  Not as sexy as some of the newer designs out there, and they don't have a mag brake system, but I highly recommend.  (I frequently consider hanging myself for selling my Penn 525 Mag a few years ago.)  

On 4/6/2020 at 4:48 PM, delaware surfman said:

Thanks everyone. 
The Blank is 12ft 3 inches. Built by Red Drum Tackle, 4-7 oz. Lamiglass blank. 
From the comments about the learning curve going from something like a Squidder to a newer style real I think I just should bite the bullet and get something that would be state of the art, so to speak and last my lifetime. This would avoid me learning on one and then switching up to something newer, I don’t want to learn twice. 
$200-250 I wouldn’t have a problem spending, going over $300-330 would cause a little heartburn. 
The Akios reels look nice and seem to get more than a few nods. The 757 model mentioned in the first few posts has both centrifugal and mag brakes as someone else mentioned. Tough to birds nest that I’d say. 
I get the part on casting with a less than filled spool and heavier oil to slow down the bearing until I get it figured out, reel selection is the issue as I just don’t know what I’m looking at to compare one brand to another. 
Please keep the advise coming as I’m committed to getting this down as a spinner is thought to throw a ton of weight, thanks, John

Just one more plug for the Akios Nitron F-15.  With the mag on full I don't think that you can backlash it.  I have cast it a long ways from a pier, well over 500'.  That said, this is the first year for this reel and sometimes it's like buying a first year car.  All the bugs are not worked out.  I did fish it for a good while yesterday again and it really feels solid.  Don't disregard the Tronixpro Envoy either.  It's cheap and it's another reel that I don't think can backlash with all the braking on.  So, the idea is to start with all the brakes and gradually back off until you get a little fluff in the line.  Then add some braking back in and you are good to go.  Smooth casts are as critical as the reel IMO.  Look at some vids on Youtube and watch how distance casters cast.  Smooth is key.  Tommy Farmer has tons of vids out there and he is a member here too.  I bought both my Akios reels from him.  

2 hours ago, feesh said:

Don't overthink the reel most casters coming from a spinning background have a snappy power cast that will blow up a coventional reel. It's all about being smooth, start with a lob and build up for distance. You won't go wrong with most of the reels reccomended. I would buy a Penn Squall star drag and be done with it (landed my biggest surf caught fish on a squall 15). It's a solid reel with external mag controls. You'll be able to adjust speed as you learn.

Old squidders and such  have dreadfully slow retrieval speeds with low gear ratios, not fun once you start hitting the outer bar on Assateague.

I agree with you completely regarding being smooth vs snappy.  Snappy casts with a conventional will be a birdsnesters nightmare.  Smooth is the key.  

10 hours ago, jimmy z said:

lol, Hi my old friend.

I don't like those springs attached to the eccentric lever, I don't like that parts are different from other Abu7000's. If it's not broken, why try and fix it. IMO a poor move Abu made. I don't know how the newest 7000's are but I won't test the waters

With the Omoto 7000's it's like working on pre Abu 7000. :howdy:

a friend of mine bought a chrome-ish/black looking 7000 last year.

when compared to my matte silver 700 his was waay lighter and felt weaker.

love mine even though it is an "I" reel,it does the job well.

wanna buy an "I" reel?

HH

4 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

a friend of mine bought a chrome-ish/black looking 7000 last year.

when compared to my matte silver 700 his was waay lighter and felt weaker.

love mine even though it is an "I" reel,it does the job well.

wanna buy an "I" reel?

HH

I have a 7000i hsn, which is ok. I just don't like how they're put together. I trust the Omoto reels.

No thanks on another "I" reel

1 min ago, jimmy z said:

I have a 7000i hsn, which is ok. I just don't like how they're put together. I trust the Omoto reels.

No thanks on another "I" reel

me loves the omoto's as you well know.

I remember when others said they were junk and not worth buying.

as for the "I" reel,was just bothering you,I like my "I" reel.

HH

I had a 7000iHN. I couldn't get parts for my Saltist, so I grabbed the Abu. It was nice but I just don't like levelwind, so away it went. Still have a Swedish Maroon 7000C3, but it just sits.

I’m thinking to buy an Akios shuttle. It should serve me well forever. Hell I could sell the whole setup if I throw in the towel, but as I stated I plan to see this through. 
Has anyone bought from a store in the UK? Prices are way better than anywhere I can find local. How is shipping and are any duty’s or taxes imposed to affect cost. Any issues buying from the UK? Thanks for all the help, thoughts and suggestions, John 

Call Red Drum Tackle in Buxton, NC.  They are blowing out the Gen 1 Penn Fathoms at $99.  You can get 2 reels so you spend more time fishing and less time re spoiling on the water.