delaware surfman

Conventional reel advise

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

That's impressive.  Does the Squall have any braking at all?  I can't imagine not thumbing it without brakes....  My cast in my post above was from a pier as well.  Just a strong overhead thump is all it was.  

The Penn Squall 30LD doesn't have mag breaks. Actually the Squall 30 star drag doesn't either. Only the 15 star drag does. Kind of odd, I think. Not sure why they have it that way.

Practicing off the pier is great for playing with max distance, But I find that it doesn't always apply so much when actually fishing. If the beach has a steep slope, or the surf is ruff and I need to use 8 oz. or higher to hold bottom, my casting distance diminishes greatly. Actually, once I get past 8 oz. the issue becomes more about trying to keep the spool from slipping while loading the rod. In Florida and the Outer Banks the beach slope is usually flatter. Assateague and Ocean City can be quite steep, in my experience. Albeit, I don't have a 4x4 yet, so I don't know about down in the OSV zone.

Edited by Trainman327

19 hours ago, delaware surfman said:

First I’ll start off by saying I have never casted conventional reels. 
I just recently picked up a Lamiglass blank rated 4-7, I plan to chunk bait on Assateague Island. I am willing to put in the practice as I’ve always wanted a conventional.
So the last week I’ve been researching and finally thought I’d post here. I’m about to pull my hair out.
Should I start out with something like a Squidder? If I could figure that reel out with no mag I could graduate up from there, or would it just frustrate me to give up? Many nice ones are available for $50. Maintenance I could easily handle. 
I see the Daiwa slosh Reels for a little more money, once again no mag but centrifugal brakes. 

Then you have Abu’s. Ugh the list goes on.
Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new Penn reel? If so which one? I’m leaning toward a Maged reel I’d say. I know everyone will have a difference of opinion but I’m really lost here and don’t want to waist money when I could just get something new, and I’m not sure I want to spend $300 plus either.  Unfortunately I don’t have any friends that cast conventional to ask or use theirs.  
Thanks for any in-site you are willing to provide, John. 

what kind of length is your blank?

personally,I would just buy an abu pro-rocket[back 7000] and go from there.

parts are easy to get and it will fill your bait slinging needs.

I plug with mine and love it.

under 200 bucks it will do you good.

practice makes perfect.

HH

Thanks everyone. 
The Blank is 12ft 3 inches. Built by Red Drum Tackle, 4-7 oz. Lamiglass blank. 
From the comments about the learning curve going from something like a Squidder to a newer style real I think I just should bite the bullet and get something that would be state of the art, so to speak and last my lifetime. This would avoid me learning on one and then switching up to something newer, I don’t want to learn twice. 
$200-250 I wouldn’t have a problem spending, going over $300-330 would cause a little heartburn. 
The Akios reels look nice and seem to get more than a few nods. The 757 model mentioned in the first few posts has both centrifugal and mag brakes as someone else mentioned. Tough to birds nest that I’d say. 
I get the part on casting with a less than filled spool and heavier oil to slow down the bearing until I get it figured out, reel selection is the issue as I just don’t know what I’m looking at to compare one brand to another. 
Please keep the advise coming as I’m committed to getting this down as a spinner is thought to throw a ton of weight, thanks, John

Your gonna have to lay off the beers during the learning curve. At least 2 yrs. Trust me I know. Had the fathom 15 down with 2 brakes on almost immediately and a few cold ones shut me out temporarily after a year of tossing. In a bad way. Thought I was a pro. Bring a spinner back up if u like beer.

Diana 7 ht about200$ not level wind and way easier to cast for distance than a Diawa 20 or 30saltist or sla.the breaking system is more advanced than the Pennsylvania or schimano. The others are good reels but when it comes to casting with out back lashes the 7ht is king so far . I know abu and akios I have them also.Not many surf fisherman will throw further than a 7 ht on a 12 ft rod , I do it twice a week and not many people put a 4 ounce hi lo rig past mine. Not bragging it’s the reel coupled with the rod.No bird nests . 

Edited by Surf bomber

Try to find a penn 970 or 980 mag if you can. Somewhat similar to a squidder with a spool tension on the axel of the spool instead of the bearings but has the mag adjustment. For bait and weight on a big rod it works fine. 

I haven't had the pleasure of trying the new Fathoms, but then again, I hate magnets. Penn Fathom I, 12 for braid, 15 for mono. Buy once and forget about upgrading

Most of those who have tried mine, immediately bought, or ordered one.

5 hours ago, Prospector said:

Try to find a penn 970 or 980 mag if you can. Somewhat similar to a squidder with a spool tension on the axel of the spool instead of the bearings but has the mag adjustment. For bait and weight on a big rod it works fine. 

Hard to find one that doesn't need parts, and hard to find parts.

Penn 525 mag if you can find them. Last year I was able to get 6. One was brand new and ran me 150 bucks. I used Abu 6500 before that and like the 525 so much better for 8 and bait. Much better retrieve. I ended up putting bigger magnets in mine because they were so fast. Good luck. 

On 4/5/2020 at 9:07 PM, Grayson said:

Daiwa or Penn, daiwas are kind of like a brunette, not the flashiest but reliable day in and out. Fathoms are a red headed business professional, can be toned down and then ripped out to the ragged edge on a Saturday night. Abus are the 1:30 fat girl when the bar closes at 2, always there but not what your going to show off around town.