downset21

Greasing surf spinning reels

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve done a little research and I just wanted to collect a bit more information from you folks.  I am leaning toward the Scooby combo of aqua seal and corrosionx mix.  

Do you use mineral spirits or something like that to clean the grease off?

Do you have to get ALL of the grease off before reapplying?

Should I pack it in heavily?  

Any tips are welcome.  I’ve never done this and I’m just using YouTube videos to teach myself.

Edited by downset21

You can pack it but it still significantly slow your reel and may not be as smooth but you will get protection. if you plan on fishing where waves are going to constantly smack your reel go for it but if not then you don't have to pack it. 

Generally yes I typically clean all the grease off before reapplying new grease.

I could see using CorrosionX pre-grease may help, personally I would corrosionX the hardware like the screws holding the side plate then only grease in the internals and maybe your bail if you're using a bail

I just use Yamaha blue grease, has corrosion properties already in the grease. I have been using it for years, never a problem. But I do like Kombi_rs, I do a complete cleaning at the end of the season.

21 hours ago, Bwt570 said:

By aqua seal, you mean the wader repair stuff?

I meant aquashield.  Scooby wrote about it in a couple of posts.

I just paint the inside of my older penns with heavy blue marine grease.  Protected without filling it and slowing the reel.  

I clean my plastic parts with dawn and the metal gears with lighter fluid.  I also take the bearing shields off and do the bearings with lighter fluid or carb cleaner.  I then oil them.  My reels don't get too wet so I don't pack them with the grease.  They are Penn reels so I use Penn products and like them.  

Mineral Spirits is the fastest way to clean parts. Aqua shield grease is super thick and tacky. I wouldn’t use it on anything. If you get it on you or your clothes good luck on getting it off.

I use aquashield to seal entry points on my reels but never on the internals. But i fish heavy surf , river bars and some swimming

I just mixed aquashield with corrosionx until it smoothed out.  I cleaned all of the grease out of a saltx 4000 that was ridiculously tight.   It’s really smooth now and easy to turn.