The Riddler

Heat Shrink Butt Splice

17 posts in this topic

It does look pretty easy, but is crimping or cutting shrink tubing that hard? :huh: I use the regular heat shrink butt connectors that you crimp and they work pretty well, but if these aren’t super expensive they’d be worth a shot. 

They are not bad, I’ve like the anchor and 3m.  I haven’t used the one linked.  On one I tried only a small portion was adhesive.. You need clean wires, and mesh the strands as shown. Will frequently dab a little flux first. They have been around a long time under different names.

The crimp heat seal are faster. I like The heat solder connectors on smaller wires as I don’t get consistent crimps when under something....

in general I use the uninsulated connectors, crimp, solder and then adhesive heat shrink as it is less bulky and cheaper.

I do not do much wiring any more, but as with everything, good crimpers for the connector, good solder, flux etc

Those look pretty good. I would’ve liked to see the guy do a pull test to show how strong they are. I’ve used the crimp/heat shrink ones on a lot of projects and they work fine. These new ones would be nice in a tight area where it’s tough to fit the crimpers. 

16 hours ago, drmevo said:

It does look pretty easy, but is crimping or cutting shrink tubing that hard? :huh: I use the regular heat shrink butt connectors that you crimp and they work pretty well, but if these aren’t super expensive they’d be worth a shot. 

I don't know if you missed it but this one has solder in it. A low melting solder.  I use the standard shrink wrap connectors but the solder is a bonus. 

2 mins ago, z-man said:

Those look pretty good. I would’ve liked to see the guy do a pull test to show how strong they are. I’ve used the crimp/heat shrink ones on a lot of projects and they work fine. These new ones would be nice in a tight area where it’s tough to fit the crimpers. 

I am curious too on the pull strength. 

1 min ago, flylikabird said:

Add some shrink wrap.

I do that on the boat trailer but find this easier because of the visual. Trailer light suck to track breaks and corrosion down. 

Take a look at the Grote ones. I use these at work at the heat shrink is pretty tough and also has the low temp solder. These you need to crimp so no worry on the fear of wires pulling out. They are pricey but here in the Northeast I use them to not have to revisit a repair job.

The Chinese ones from Amazon needs quite a bit of heat to melt the solder and sometimes the insulation melts... 

ive used them and aside from that... I don’t have any complaints. Going to see if I can buy them from Digi-Key or Newark 

digikey dot com /products/en/cables-wires-management/solder-sleeve/478?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv183=421589&sf=0&FV=-8|478&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

TE Connectivity Raychem Cable Protection...

item number

CWT-9001 (0.065" dia)

CWT-9002 (0.105" dia)

CWT-9003 (0.180" dia)

have used their products before and i am satisfied with their quality... but it is pricey

After using butt connectors and so on over the years I just went with a sealed Deutsch connector setup on my yak. Way easier to just unplug everything.  I even did my battery charger like this so I just plug the batteries in.