Making plastic lures

Rate this topic

prican1

I'd like to get into making plastc/rubber lures, specifically 5" eels. I don't no diddly about this. Can someone school me and maybe lead me to what I need to buy and where, some pointers would be appreciated too.Thamks

Edited by prican1

You are gonna need to buy or make a mold.  Get color glitter salt etc.

Plastisol in what ever formula you are looking for

Microwave and pyrex 

Lots of great stuff out there on the interweb 

I get most of my stuff from lurecraft and janns netcraft

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

7 hours ago, prican1 said:

I'd like to get into making plastc/rubber lures, specifically 5" eels. I don't no diddly about this. Can someone school me and maybe lead me to what I need to buy and where, some pointers would be appreciated too.Thamks

Worlds worst fishing on 

U tube has lots to see on this

troll #122  <*)))<

What Captain Ahab said.

I make my own masters, aka: mandril, out of Scaulpey Clay available from hobby stores that are now closed when Covid-19 hit the fan.  Make my own molds using Plaster of Paris.  And so far I am using all recycled old plastics I collect from fishing friends.  Melt plastics in a microwave in pyrex.  You can make molds now but don’t melt plastics in the house until you can open all the windows.  The learning curve is steep and long.  You’ll be making lots of mistakes as you ascend the learning curve.

Following is a picture of the mandril I made, the mold I made and the finished product.  I now have made molds to make all the lures pictured below.  It’s also highly addicting and funner than heck!!!

5e8a98248c6e3_8inmandrilmoldlure2.JPG.20e368caa9bab9472b17c0876fab63eb.JPG

5e8a98536d1be_saltwaterlures.JPG.437779d529ef3f2670c59164a61cb7b1.JPG

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

I don't pour any plastic, only do lead, but know a lot of folks who do pour plastic baits. As said, there's plenty of information available. 

There's also plenty of suppliers. Check out Lurecraft, Jann's Netcraft, Barlow's Tackle, and of course Do It Molds. They all have supplies. Lurecraft is possibly one of the biggest mold suppliers around, and they make custom molds too. Kim Straley is the owner and will gladly answer questions. She knows her stuff! 

If you do the social media thing, there's plenty of groups that are involved with pouring plastics as well as lure making in general. I'm a member of several groups. 

Do it has a forum on their site, custombaits.com and many of the folks there are pouring plastics so there's always discussions. There's also Tackleunderground.com which is a general lure making site, and has a forum for all kinds of tackle makers.  

You will never go wrong with the lure builders forum here on SOL either! 

Check out vac 50 for mold making material...

I found it shoots easier than if I were to make a soft rtv silicone.

If I have to shoot it.

I've been using dead on plastic for the past two weeks and it's held up nicely.

angling AI machined alu molds take about 2 weeks from order to receipt.

Worlds worst fishing on the youtubes has tons of dos and dont's

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims