Question for Deer experts

Rate this topic

frezzy

1 hour ago, ChocoLab said:

I've heard wardens consider an antler trap similar to a body gripping trap, which is a no-no. but personally feel like that is a bit of a stretch. it's not really clearly stated either way. 

From my research the general opinion seems to be they do more harm than good. Bucks don’t all just drop their antlers at the same time. If you set something up for a deers antlers to get stuck in hoping for them to fall off and they are not ready; then you risk getting the deer stuck or hurt. I have seen some pics of ones a little less harsh that use bungee cords; but I don’t know how effective any truly are.

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

As a deer hunter and someone who cares about the deer I don't think its worth it. The risk of trapping a deer or other animal and hurting/ killing it isn't worth the reward of a couple sheds. I think the most ethical and fun way to find sheds would be to walk the thick stuff with a dog. I have friends with labs that get dozens of antler sheds every winter/spring. The other day my Wheaten Terrier came out of the woods behind my house with a whole deer leg in her mouth, I need to go back in the woods and see if it was a buck. 

The simplest antler "trap" is just a strong thin branch nailed across two sapling trees with bait between the saplings.

Supposedly if the antlers are about ready to fall off and the deer bumps the branch going for the bait, the antlers should fall off.

I tried it a couple times.... no luck.   But I've been wanting to try it again with a game camera also set up to know what's happening.

DITCH TROLL

On 4/5/2020 at 9:51 AM, frezzy said:

When do bucks shed their antlers?  I’m in the Metrowest area (hopkinton).  My 6yr old is dying to look for some sheds.  Figured that would be a good activity to get outside and stay away from people.

I've seen antlers fall off bucks as early as mid December a few times. And I've also seen many bucks still wearing antlers in March. In fact, I've was monitoring a bachelor group of 5 bucks near my house and ALL of them still had their antlers just a few weeks ago. It was March. Biggest rack was 8 points. Fyi.

Edited by night owl