drmevo

Face shield/gaiter/whatever as a mask

32 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, BeachBum818 said:

Droplets are NOT airborne.  Go to any ICU in the US and you'll find that droplet and airborne precautions are 2 totally separate issues with their own measures of PPE and safety. (the third precaution being contact) Droplets travel short distances and don't linger in the air. This is an airborne virus, not a droplet virus. It travels much further and hangs in the air way longer than any droplet. Now thats not saying it cant be transmitted via droplet, but that's not the primary means of transport. Airborne is the most serious of the 3 precautions. 

Please backup your assertion that this is primarily an airborne (aerosolized) virus. Hint: It’s not. If you have some special qualifications that give you access to information no one else has, please share. 

As someone in the medical field face mask are more to prevent my sickness from spreading to others. It not 100% to save you from this virus. For example if I have a cold/cough (normal not the rona) and i wear a mask I have less of a chance to get someone else sick if i go to the store to buy some medication. Even if its just a tshirt I would want someone thats sick (specially the rona) to cover them mouth and help out even if its just a bit.. 

2 hours ago, BeachBum818 said:

How many sunburns have you had through regular clothing? 

Exactly zero.  In fact, the "farmer's tan" is proof positive that pretty much any garment will stop UV.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The girlfriend and I have been using our hoo-rags while re-supplying at the grocery stores.

Will it protect you?  Who knows, but having something over your face is better than nothing IMO...

Well be using our N95s in the upcoming weeks though...  Just trying to save what we have left..

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

I use an N95 mask along with a buff over it.  If I am dead in a month I think its safe to say it doesn't work.

0414A144-ADD1-48E6-B6A6-EF118E3081E9.jpeg

16 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

They do n-o-t-h-i-n-g to protect you, just makes people feel like they're 'safe'. Sh-- even half the surgical masks dont do anything. Watch aerosol tests on them, it's kinda scary. N95 and one other (model escapes me right now) will protect against viruses. 

Yes and no.  

The virus is not airborn in the true sense.  At least thats what most research is saying at this point.

The virus is riding along on water/mucous/spewtum droplets as they leave your face. Therefore, anything that decreases the emission of these droplets will be effective at decreasing risk of transmission.

People arent going to be doing surgery with them.  The goal is to do the things that reduce potential for transmission of the airborne droplets (until they eventually fall to the ground).

So, we have social distancing, because some research suggests that the virus' surfboard, moisture from your face, will go about 3-9 feet before it lands somewhere.  (also very dependent upon room and ventillation conditions, temp, etc)

Washing your hands doenst remove everything either, but we still do it because it is aprt of best practices to reduce transmission.

Pulling out isnt the best plan for birth control... but guess what?

11 hours ago, drmevo said:

Please backup your assertion that this is primarily an airborne (aerosolized) virus. Hint: It’s not. If you have some special qualifications that give you access to information no one else has, please share. 

How about the fact that Covid-19 can linger in the air for 3 hours?  Droplets don't float around in the air, they travel a short distance and then fall onto objects that can infect a person. That object is called a fomite- gas pumps, shopping carts, fast food, groceries. But you can't be infected through your skin, it has to be a mucous membrane- sinuses, mouth, eyes. As long as you wash your hands and dont touch your face, you're fine.  

The virus remaining in the air for 3 hours is the fact that it is an airborne virus, not a droplet. Here, You Dont need to take my word for it.

On a another note, there's no such thing as an "aersolized" virus. To aersolize you're creating a fine mist from a liquid....virus' dont do that. 

5 hours ago, 55555s said:

Washing your hands doenst remove everything either, but we still do it because it is aprt of best practices to reduce transmission.

Yes and No.... it doesn't remove it, but it does disable it. The virus is just a protein held together by lipids- fat. Soap breaks up fat- think of a greasy pan. Soap and heat will disolve and break apart that membrane disabling the virus. Is it still there? Yes. Can it infect you? No. 

So much BS in this thread. 

Taiwan, Singapore, S Korea --- every country that stymied coronavirus has 2 things in common: massive, early testing/contact tracing, and a vast majority of citizens wearing surgical masks in public spaces. Taiwan did their version of a defense production act specifically for surgical masks, and used their local pharmacies to dole them out to every single person in the country. 

The only reason our CDC and surgeon general spewed their nonsense about masks being worthless is because we didn't, and still don't, have enough masks. Now they're telling us to use bandanas and tshirts. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.  

35 mins ago, BeachBum818 said:

How about the fact that Covid-19 can linger in the air for 3 hours?  Droplets don't float around in the air, they travel a short distance and then fall onto objects that can infect a person. That object is called a fomite- gas pumps, shopping carts, fast food, groceries. But you can't be infected through your skin, it has to be a mucous membrane- sinuses, mouth, eyes. As long as you wash your hands and dont touch your face, you're fine.  

The virus remaining in the air for 3 hours is the fact that it is an airborne virus, not a droplet. Here, You Dont need to take my word for it.

On a another note, there's no such thing as an "aersolized" virus. To aersolize you're creating a fine mist from a liquid....virus' dont do that. 

The virus has been detected in the air for 3 hours under controlled conditions in a laboratory. There is a big difference controlled laboratory experiments and life on the streets.

8 hours ago, BeachBum818 said:

"While the New England Journal of Medicine study found that the COVID virus can be detected in the air for 3 hours, in nature, respiratory droplets sink to the ground faster than the aerosols produced in this study. The experimental aerosols used in labs are smaller than what comes out of a cough or sneeze, so they remain in the air at face-level longer than heavier particles would in nature."

On the Water has an article online about face mask use for Covo. Seems doubled over with an additional filter insert is not the worst thing  in the world to use in their humble opinion. 

On 4/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, BeachBum818 said:

I'm interpreting the article you quote differently. It says that the aerosols detected in the air for 3 hours were produced in the lab and don't exist in nature.  In other words, not produced by infected people. The droplets we produce sink to the ground much quicker.  Based on this, my assumption would be that the many of the droplets can be stopped by a face covering, especially from a cough or sneeze. The finer, the better.  Asymptotic carriers are of most concern, and are why I think we all should be wearing face coverings when in close proximity to others. At least for now.  

From the article:

"While the New England Journal of Medicine study found that the COVID virus can be detected in the air for 3 hours, in nature, respiratory droplets sink to the ground faster than the aerosols produced in this study. The experimental aerosols used in labs are smaller than what comes out of a cough or sneeze, so they remain in the air at face-level longer than heavier particles would in nature."

On 4/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, The Riddler said:

I use an N95 mask along with a buff over it.  If I am dead in a month I think its safe to say it doesn't work.

0414A144-ADD1-48E6-B6A6-EF118E3081E9.jpeg

same here