drmevo

Freshwater in NH early April

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I don’t usually get out quite this early, but what the hell, might as well. In terms of FW I’m more of a summertime/early fall bass guy, and not so much into trout, so I’m a bit lost. What works well for bass/panfish/pickerel at this point? Ponds vs. rivers?  I may try for trout as well but I haven’t really targeted them since I was kid and beyond a Mepps I don’t have any idea what works and what doesn’t. Thanks in advance!

Rivers might be too high right now. I went out this morning to see if I can't find the salter white perch coming up from Great Bay, couldn't tell where the marsh ends and river begins. I have got some bass fishing the Merrimack at a popular shad spot at this time of year when the tide is in the lower stages though..

59 mins ago, stormy monday said:

Rivers might be too high right now. I went out this morning to see if I can't find the salter white perch coming up from Great Bay, couldn't tell where the marsh ends and river begins. I have got some bass fishing the Merrimack at a popular shad spot at this time of year when the tide is in the lower stages though..

Do you think shad would be running yet or do they show up around the same time as the alewives? I live near one of the runs but I haven’t fished it before the herring arrive. 

Might be a week too early, but you don't know 'til you try. ;) I'm more of a CT river and tribs guy, so I'll be poking around there by mid April. 

Go salmon fishing. Troll or fish live bait. I prefer  trolling flies I have tied myself. Like to tie  and fish old school natural materials. Friends fish with spoons and other lures. Give it a try it has a learning curve like any thing else but that's part of the fun.

I took the yak out this afternoon for a few hours. Not a ton of action but I got a ~2.5 lb LMB and a slab crappie, both on a crawfish crankbait that I think had a depth of 7-8 feet. Both fish caught in about 10-12 FOW. I was figuring I might get a pickerel if I was lucky so this was a nice surprise! 

2 hours ago, Fishinjohny said:

Go salmon fishing. Troll or fish live bait. I prefer  trolling flies I have tied myself. Like to tie  and fish old school natural materials. Friends fish with spoons and other lures. Give it a try it has a learning curve like any thing else but that's part of the fun.

Sounds like a lot of fun- are they all in the big lakes I imagine? Do you need leadcore line or other special gear? 

The landlocks are shallow right after ice out no lead core needed. My brother and I used to get them from the center harbor dock during our lunchbreak.  

I know a few guys that were out on the yak over the weekend hunting salter white perch. They got in to them pretty good and caught a few holdover schoolies as well. Great Bay tribs... 

1 hour ago, Dah seee said:

I know a few guys that were out on the yak over the weekend hunting salter white perch. They got in to them pretty good and caught a few holdover schoolies as well. Great Bay tribs... 

This might be my next trip! How long are the salter white perch usually around for? 

drmevo, I used a sinking or floating fly line but some use spinning gear with spoons . Fish are near the surface chasing smelt.  Fish early morning or evenings in front of brooks ,rivers , along shore line. When hooked the fight is great lots of tail dancing and hard runs.

8 mins ago, Fishinjohny said:

drmevo, I used a sinking or floating fly line but some use spinning gear with spoons . Fish are near the surface chasing smelt.  Fish early morning or evenings in front of brooks ,rivers , along shore line. When hooked the fight is great lots of tail dancing and hard runs.

Thanks for the info. So will they be pretty far up river or is closer to Great Bay a better bet? I only have one fly rod, an 8 weight, which I’m guessing is a bit much for these fish. Do you locate them by surface activity or just try the types of areas you mentioned?

16 mins ago, drmevo said:

Thanks for the info. So will they be pretty far up river or is closer to Great Bay a better bet? I only have one fly rod, an 8 weight, which I’m guessing is a bit much for these fish. Do you locate them by surface activity or just try the types of areas you mentioned?

I think that info was for the landlocked salmon. Used to get those on a 5 weight in Alton Bay from a canoe, floating line and a Mickey Finn streamer. The white perch don't show much from the surface that I have seen. I have them and yellows in my lake and we never catch them on a fly, just bass, except the few times I had my kids troll a little streamer as I rowed the boat. I'll be throwing an 8 for them tomorrow probably. The Great Bay trib I live near is kind of chocolatey colored, I got no love from a white/gold fly so I may try something darker. Also gotta go down in the basement and see if I can find a sinking line... If you start at the spot I messaged you paddle downstream till you get to a bridge, then drift up all the way under the next bridge till the second or third bend and they're getting them in there. Might be farther up but I haven't heard any news on that...

I grew up in Claremont, but I have lived in Mass since college. When my mother was alive, she always got me a NH license for my birthday to encourage me to come home and fish while she took care of her granddaughter.

Anyway, it has been a while, but the river that flows through Newport, Claremont, and into the Conn. River used to be fun with a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor's, a bunch of nightcrawlers, and a spinning reel. We used to drop each other off at certain spots, and we would make our way down the river and meet up at the end crawling over rocks, and drifting worms behind rocks. Early to mid May was the best time.

I think it is way too early to be on a canoe or yak right now that far north. In high school, I was in my father's Grumman Canoe on Lake Sunapee in mid April with my girlfriend, my sister, and her husband when we tipped because the girls insisted on helping row. We could have made it to shore, but my sister panicked wearing a heavy jacket, so I had to stay with the canoe to keep her head up. Water was freezing-took your breath. Too early to be out there in a small craft that tips easy. We got to a small island, and a good samaritan picked us up and towed the canoe back to where we launched.

Huge smallies in the Conn. River compared to the little guys I catch in Mass. Good chance at walleye also, but at least a month too soon to be out in a canoe or yak.