FishNorthShore

Rebuilding old rod

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hello all 

I was wondering how many of you have rebuilt rods and how hard it really is. With the rod I recently acquired im

thinking about rebuilding it as it’s built very heavy

Posted (edited) · Report post

what type is it.  It can be rebuilt as good as new, if the blank is good.  and so on. 

Show us a picture, so we know what we are talking about. 

If you have passions and a little skill. 

Edited by ccb

48 mins ago, ccb said:

what type is it.  It can be rebuilt as good as new, if the blank is good.  and so on. 

Show us a picture, so we know what we are talking about. 

If you have passions and a little skill. 

It’s the rod that I can’t identify, I’m pretty sure it’s a 1321m I already stripped one guide off

I have restored many rods professionally over the years.  Depending on the condition and the quality of the blank, usually determines whether it's worth the investment.  It is very labor intensive.   If you want to take this on as a personal project, I would say "go for it". 

3 mins ago, Al Goldberg said:

I have restored many rods professionally over the years.  Depending on the condition and the quality of the blank, usually determines whether it's worth the investment.  It is very labor intensive.   If you want to take this on as a personal project, I would say "go for it". 

I have the time with all this virus stuff don’t really got anything else to do 

I have rebuilt many rods. Since they are for my own personal use I do not go crazy with refinishing, etc. I remove the old guide. Get as much of the epoxy off as I can and that's where I stop. You can certainly still see where the old guides were but I don't care about that.

I did my first one this winter, for me it was extremely rewarding when I put a few schoolies on it. And hasn’t blown up yet on me. It’s a fiberglass 9’ fenwick that was done possibly in the 80’s. It’s time consuming getting of the guides, reel seat, foam grip and old which I believed to be varnish finish. I read a lot, watch a number of videos and learn a good amount. The guys on here gave me some pointers and I am very happy I did it. Just picked up a new blank today to do in the future. I am apologizing now but I’m gonna have some questions in the

Edited by Mark L

Nothing to lose.Go for it.Take your time getting the old finish off and then clean clean clean.The entire blank! Because old nasties are on the rest of the blank.You'll pick that up on your hands as you rewrap the guides.The issue will come up when the finish goes on.The finish will not adhere to any oil/silicone type residues either left over or from your hands.You won't know it until the new finish starts to "fish eye".It's not a nice thing to see at the final steps.Took classes with Al G. back in the 80s.

1 hour ago, Gundalba said:

If the job is on the guides only, easy enough...

Epoxy refinish and reel seat can be more involved, I've learned.

Good luck!

Thank you yes I stripped all the guides today and got all the extra epoxy off, I’ve settled on the  that it is in fact a lami 1321m but I want to make it just like my original lami 1321m which has the reel seat 4 inches higher without changing the real seat I want to know Which guides I could move around to keep it as close to possible as my original I’ll attach a photo of both side by side

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

Nothing to lose.Go for it.Take your time getting the old finish off and then clean clean clean.The entire blank! Because old nasties are on the rest of the blank.You'll pick that up on your hands as you rewrap the guides.The issue will come up when the finish goes on.The finish will not adhere to any oil/silicone type residues either left over or from your hands.You won't know it until the new finish starts to "fish eye".It's not a nice thing to see at the final steps.Took classes with Al G. back in the 80s.

Thank you but won’t something like alcohol clean that oil and other particles off? What do you reccomend to clean it?

thanks again

Edited by FishNorthShore

Once you remove the wraps and residual epoxy, wrap masking tape around both ends of the guide wraps.  Starting with 240 grit paper, carefully hand sand.  Then move up to 320 then 400 grit until smooth. Remove the masking tape and then clean several times with iso alcohol and paper towels.  

If the rest of the exposed blank needs refinishing, sand the entire blank with  400 grit paper or 0000 steel wool.  Clean the entire blank area several times with Iso alcohol and paper towels.  Spray several light coats of Spa Urethane.

Good Luck.