Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

All of you need to learn how to park a boat

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Well if you are "parking" a boat you probably need to take some basic boating and seamanship classes!

I can "dock" my boat but practice is always good

Posted (edited) · Report post

if the wind is blowing away from the ramp, by the time you park the car and boat, the boat will be sideways on the ramp. When you get back.

but good job for one guy 

Edited by ccb

So many different scenarios to deal with at any ramp on any given time, season, moon-phase, location...etc.

I think experience can not be understated.....it's paramount.

I once watched a guy launch by himself by first releasing the boat from the trailer but loosely tying off a painter, then driving backwards at high speed and slamming on the brakes at exactly the right second. The boat shot off the trailer and floated out until restrained by the painter. He tied it off to the dock, then went to park his car. It was an amazing performance. Obviously the ramp was very lightly attended.

3 hours ago, Kent I said:

I once watched a guy launch by himself by first releasing the boat from the trailer but loosely tying off a painter, then driving backwards at high speed and slamming on the brakes at exactly the right second. The boat shot off the trailer and floated out until restrained by the painter. He tied it off to the dock, then went to park his car. It was an amazing performance. Obviously the ramp was very lightly attended.

Seen that too and have done it myself. Nothing bigger that 20’ though.

Yep, fairly standard practice, just got back from the Keys before the **** hit the fan , place  I stay at has a small ramp , access to the backcountry /flats , very popular pick up spot for flats guides & clients. Mobility is paramount for these guys depending on weather , rides , wind , the bite , certain flats. In & out , keep it moving , ten mins. to launch, tops... most closer to 5 lol Not too much “parking “ going on either lol