Hate to ask but moved here from the Olympic Peninsula

Rate this topic

Just relocated to Newport News to be near my grandaughters, bought a map of the lower Chesapeake Bay and looking for suggestions where to fish from the bank or beach. I am dying to try some surf fishing. The fishing piers seemed closed for now and I am getting cabin fever. Have a vast selection of gear and have studied rigging for surf casting, just need some spots to try.

Google maps is great for these questions.  Look for points and public parks, as there are a handful of public piers around that area that require no admission fee.  I think Monitor-Merrimac overlook park is worth a look, maybe Fort Monroe too. I'm only familiar with the VB side of the Bay

Edited by cbinvb
add

thanks for the response. I bought a Lower Chespeake Bay map there is so much area to consider. Went to Huntington Beach near the James River bridge the last 2 days, was the only one there, Social distancing is working. Have the fish adopted that philosphy as well.

There are so many places to fish here is is overwhelming. I am visiting tackle stores as well as search the internet. The fishing piers seem closed due to the pandemic (good practice) and I am looking for a prime flounder spot and a surf casting location. I am happy being on the shore enjoying nature  but I like to bring home a fish occasionally. I catch and release most times. 

Catchless, I have been in Williamsburg for 2 years. I am still exploring and figuring stuff out and I have been fishing VA and NC beaches for years. To find the places you are talking about, you need to spend some time looking around. Head towards the beach. Out to the Eastern Shore.  Down South.  There are plenty of spots. 

As far as the “prime flounder spot”, you and every other fisherman in Hampton Roads.

Edited by CJS