Vaporizor

COVID 19 is this what saves the bass fishery

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

So seeing the the bass are getting ready for there migration, with everyone on quarantine are they going to get a break this year on the spring run? Interesting discussion can be had about this subject. I’m interested in hearing the perspective on this subject from you guys. 
  I personally believe that in light of this event the powers to be should cancel the commercial season as well. That is because the restaurant industry is closed, there for the demand for the already overfished striped bass should be low to nonexistent. Now to get onto the issues with people selling to “back door sales” ...it’s happening more than we like to believe. With no outlet for these Jamokes to make a buck off OUR fishery is awesome to say the least and with the restaurants closed do the bass get a break from these sub humans this year too. 
   So to finish, the migration is going to get a pass to some degree at least it is going to not get molested like it does yearly by the folks in Md, Va, Nj, and Ny on they way from the spawning grounds by the fleet of boat dragging mojos and bunker spoons targeting large spawning females. 
  So how in turn is this COVID 19 pandemic going to affect the fishery I’d love to here you input on this 

Thanks sincerely Vaporizor 

I guess for us fisherman this is the one positive I can see to come of all this.  Here in NJ everyone of the inshore spots that I would go to right now are closed and so are the town beaches.  It looks like it will remain that way for at least the next month too.  IBSP is still open for now.  That place is going to mobbed once the surf run starts.  So it's not entirely closed down.  But yes less pressure on the fish is a good thing.

It really depends on how long the pandemic and these current restrictions last. If it's short term ( < 3 months), I think it will have negligible effect overall. Drastic cuts in striper harvesting in the past, either via moritoriums or very high length limits, took years to show any positive results. 

3 mins ago, bdowning said:

It really depends on how long the pandemic and these current restrictions last. If it's short term ( < 3 months), I think it will have negligible effect overall. Drastic cuts in striper harvesting in the past, either via moritoriums or very high length limits, took years to show any positive results. 

But we’re those cuts all down the East cost, or was it left for the states to decide, were the law’s similar in Md as the were in Mass? I agree that it will take years, that is obvious.  With this biomass this spring getting minimal pressure will we see a blip or spike in YOY counts down the road or in the SSB stats, that will show the the CCP COVID blip. Time will tell. 

It was up to the individual states as I recall, but this was over 30 years ago. Not every state had a moritorium. Mass didn't, but we had higher length limits. The other part of this that isn't apples to apples is the state of the striper fishery was far worse in the 80s than now, and that is probably one reason why it took as long as it did to come back then. So in 2020, we are at least starting from a better level. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I remember fishing with my grandfather in the 80s, was just a kid. To even catch a striper to him was a deal, but back then bluefish were a dime a dozen. I remember the 1@ 36 rule in the 90s while cutting my teeth fishing the breachways of SoCo Ri in high school. Watching the fishery progress to the  2010when the decline began. So where did this all go wrong, being brought back from the brink to another crash........in the private sector management gets fired for incompetence like this...

Edited by Vaporizor

1 min ago, TerryS said:

I’m am sure some Jamokes have  freezers  for YOUR fish

Your the only person who used that word.....”your” ....coming to a civil discussion with a passive aggressive lame response. I’m sure you can do better than that simple jack

1 hour ago, Vaporizor said:

So seeing the the bass are getting ready for there migration, with everyone on quarantine are they going to get a break this year on the spring run? Interesting discussion can be had about this subject. I’m interested in hearing the perspective on this subject from you guys. 
  I personally believe that in light of this event the powers to be should cancel the commercial season as well. That is because the restaurant industry is closed, there for the demand for the already overfished striped bass should be low to nonexistent. Now to get onto the issues with people selling to “back door sales” ...it’s happening more than we like to believe. With no outlet for these Jamokes to make a buck off OUR fishery is awesome to say the least and with the restaurants closed do the bass get a break from these sub humans this year too. 
   So to finish, the migration is going to get a pass to some degree at least it is going to not get molested like it does yearly by the folks in Md, Va, Nj, and Ny on they way from the spawning grounds by the fleet of boat dragging mojos and bunker spoons targeting large spawning females. 
  So how in turn is this COVID 19 pandemic going to affect the fishery I’d love to here you input on this 

Thanks sincerely Vaporizor 

Wow, another anti commercial fishing rant , yaaaaawn. There are these things called fish markets, people go there to buy fish , now most of them deliver fish right to people's homes , people eat the fish. Imagine that. had to dumb it down due to your ignorant post, hope you understand it.

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

If they shut down the ccc it would miracles for it. Personally I think the public lots will be closed up there. 

But canal is run by army of corps isn't it? 

Ya, I think they will probably close the lots too, no parking = no fishing.