Help me pick my first outboard!

Rate this topic

So, here's the scenario. I'm transferring schools and will stay in a dorm for a little bit, then get my own apartment/duplex/something like that. When I have the space and the money, I would like to get a small little boat to toodle around marshes and such in. I'm thinking a Alumacraft Jon Boat, or if I could afford it, something like a Mako 16 ft skiff. Anyhow, if I were to go with a Jon Boat/Dinghy, which brand and horsepower motor would you think would be a good fit? 

I don't know the length, but maybe 10/12 feet or so? 

Thanks!

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Buy boat first, then outboard.

Bots are like booze....   Over 21 and not a much fun.

I personally have a 16ft deep V with a 20hp tohatsu.  I've had a 8hp evinrude 2 stroke on 2 different inflatables and a 14ft row boat.

Jon boat will handle shallower water, V hulls take waves better.

Little boats with undersized outboards are not really a problem though.   Outboards too heavy on the transome is a bigger issue.   You may not plane with less power, but 8-10mph is very doable with minimal power.

Tohatsu make mercury outboards.    You can find a sale on a brand new 2.5  3.5 mercury 4 stroke for 750-900 online...

I just bought a 12ft rowboat for $150 without registration though.  It's for row only NYC reservoirs, that have some great trout and bass fishing.

I may buy a larger boat someday, good chance I may not.  But, I will never be without a rowboat and a small outboard!  Never.   I can hit the saltwater bays, most rivers, even some braver souls leaves inlets with what I got.

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I love a Johnny rude simple and reliable and cheap.  If money is no issue get a honda.   

Nothing wrong with an older rude 2 stroker as they are usually very forgiving and tough

+1

Don't be afraid of an older johnson/rude 2 stroke.  They run damn near forever.  My kids have outgrown my '73 6hp that has THOUSANDS of WOT hours on it, and I abused the hell out of it as a kid.  My only regret is that I didn't have the 9.9 or 15

And they are extremely simple to work on - you are on a budget, you will learn or you will pay

Edited by makorider

12 mins ago, makorider said:

And they are extremely simple to work on - you are on a budget, you will learn or you will pay

Very true. Thanks for the input all. 

Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

There's a fair chance that whatever you buy, either new or used, is going to come as a package.  If used--which I'm guessing is what you're going to be looking for--the question is going to be whether the engine is still running well, and whether it's a reasonable match for whatever you buy.  While you don't want to over-power a small boat, and doing so can be dangerous, under-powering has its problems, too.  The right horsepower engine will depend on the size and hull design of what you ultimately buy--hard to give specific horsepower numbers without knowing the hull.

If buying new, the package price with the engine the dealer supplies will likely be more attractive than buying them separately.  Just talk to the dealer about what performance to expect ahead oif time, so that there are no disappointements.

Also, it's usually a good idea to buy an engine that has a number of dealers in your area.  Some of the lesser-used engines can perform very well, but if you don't have a dealer nearby, or there is only one, you could have problems if you need a part and there is no dealer or the one dealer in town is out of stock.  Generally, in most places, Yamaha and Mercury dealers are most abundant, although in some places other brands also have good representation.

Finally, in the size class you're looking for, buy a pair of oars.  Not just for breakdowns, although they're handy for that, but for makeshift poling in the shallows, pushing off stones and sandbars, and moving really quietly when stealth matters.  You'de be amazed how easy it is to paddle even a larger (20' class) boat with an 8-fooit oar, rathern than a short paddle.,  Small boats and oars are a natural.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

A guy I watch on Youtube has one. Looks super cool. 

I’d go for a v hull as well much better all around and will go as shallow as you might want. Any of the new outboards are great, try to find one that can be serviced by a local dealer and try to shop there last and buy from there.

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

• 3 weeks later...

Kayak.   No hastles. No gas. Can be launched just about anywhere. You can outfit them for fishing with a sonar, small battery, and rod holders. Roof rack and your good to go........

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)