albieonthefly

The Blues - Large bluefish fishing on LI

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Getting closer to the time of the year when large bluefish move into our local waters, and this video shows the type of action you can expect when you find gator size blues finning in shallow water. If you like bluefish fishing it should get you going!

Hope everyone is staying safe and we can all get out and fish soon. 

- Sergio

I've caught a fair number of bluefish but probably not one over two pounds.  Can't even imagine one that big.  Man, that looks fun!!!

8 mins ago, Mangomania said:

I've caught a fair number of bluefish but probably not one over two pounds.  Can't even imagine one that big.  Man, that looks fun!!!

Those biggers ones are a blast, and those eyes, I almost feel they follow you when you take them out of the water!

Ty you for posting, they used to be in Western LIS from July till early November. Did not get one over 5 lbs last year and I plugged my go to spots...…...

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, albieonthefly said:

Those biggers ones are a blast, and those eyes, I almost feel they follow you when you take them out of the water!

They do. Their eyes don't droop like a trout's. They watch, they wait....

I like catching the big ones and eating the smaller ones :)

Thank you for the video!!!

Edited by Ebbtide231

I remember being a kid fluking on my grandfathers boat out of Montauk close to 20 years ago and catching my first big blue. He took my bucktail and went off, lots of jumping and splashing, and it was the most exciting thing I ever saw. My grandfather and I don't eat bluefish but his buddy Leo was fishing with us and he loved them so he grabbed the gaff and after fighting for what seemed like an eternity for a ~10 year old kid, we finally brought him over the gunwale. Me, my (at the time) keeper fluke, and big blue even made The Fisherman that week which was every Long Island boys dream lmao. Seeing a big blue splashing around still brings a big smile to my face.

Screenshot_20200403-230944_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200403-231039_Instagram.jpg

We see blues like that in my area from the first or second week in May. Sight casting a fly to them is a blast. I’m not really a bluefish guy but when they’re big and cruising the surface like that I can’t say no. 

Big blues have basically disappeared from Long Island Sound, just like striped Bass. The last few seasons have been nothing but cocktail blues here and there. Before that, we caught(and released) 10lb+ fish on a regular basis from the beach and about 4 or 5 years ago we had a push of absolute tackle busting monsters along the beaches and had Blues 17-20 pounds.

Battling a 20lb Blue on even heavyish spinning gear has to be one of the most exciting fishing experiences. If you’ve ever thought your rod and reel set up might be too heavy, hook a 20lb blue and you will know it’s not. You will question if your rod can bend any further without exploding into shards of graphite and if it does, whether the reel might pop out of the reel seat causing catastrophic failure to all your rod guides, stripping them all off the rod as your reel and line are dragged away into the deep dark ocean. The disbelief in being able to see through the gap formed under the reel seat as the rod flexes all the way to the butt, you squeeze the reel seat to the rod tightly to hold it all together. After multiple, blistering runs, you land a monstrous Blue fish that has shredded the plug, bent the heaviest treble hooks and which you now have to unhook release without getting your hand taken off by razor sharp teeth.

I miss the Blues.

25 mins ago, Stripsettter said:

Big blues have basically disappeared from Long Island Sound, just like striped Bass. The last few seasons have been nothing but cocktail blues here and there. Before that, we caught(and released) 10lb+ fish on a regular basis from the beach and about 4 or 5 years ago we had a push of absolute tackle busting monsters along the beaches and had Blues 17-20 pounds.

Battling a 20lb Blue on even heavyish spinning gear has to be one of the most exciting fishing experiences. If you’ve ever thought your rod and reel set up might be too heavy, hook a 20lb blue and you will know it’s not. You will question if your rod can bend any further without exploding into shards of graphite and if it does, whether the reel might pop out of the reel seat causing catastrophic failure to all your rod guides, stripping them all off the rod as your reel and line are dragged away into the deep dark ocean. The disbelief in being able to see through the gap formed under the reel seat as the rod flexes all the way to the butt, you squeeze the reel seat to the rod tightly to hold it all together. After multiple, blistering runs, you land a monstrous Blue fish that has shredded the plug, bent the heaviest treble hooks and which you now have to unhook release without getting your hand taken off by razor sharp teeth.

I miss the Blues.

You my friend have a good way with words. I can't even begin to count how many bluefish I've caught since I started fishing in the mid 70's but I love that fish because it show's no mercy