R.R. Bridge Fisher

Drag washer upgrade question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have two shimano reels. Both ultegra 5500. One a c14 XTC and the other a 5500 XTD.

the washers shown in the picture are the c14 washers.

On the smooth drag site the carbontex washers listed are for an ultegra 5500 C14 XSB part no. 16038.

An email stated these washers would not fit my 2 reels that i listed.

Has anyone upgraded these drag washers and if so to what?

I thought this would be simple but i guess no.

Thanks for any info you could provide. 

IMG_3237.jpg

20190606_111743-1.jpg

Pretty sure the XTC and XTD reels you have already uses carbon washers, are they worn out?

You could measure them, ID OD and thickness and look for them on the carbontex washers sizes pdf file on smooothdrag's site?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On the big auction site there is a seller hprbearings from Miami...I see carbontex drag washers for your 5500 XTD  only, they doesn't fit for C14 models.. The same guy it seems that he has washers for the other C14 XTC

Edited by Mark Ham

8 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Pretty sure the XTC and XTD reels you have already uses carbon washers, are they worn out?

You could measure them, ID OD and thickness and look for them on the carbontex washers sizes pdf file on smooothdrag's site?

The XTC are the plastic factory ones pictured

2 hours ago, Mark Ham said:

On the big auction site there is a seller hprbearings from Miami...I see carbontex drag washers for your 5500 XTD  only, they doesn't fit for C14 models.. The same guy it seems that he has washers for the other C14 XTC

I just stumbled upon him, thank you

Posted (edited) · Report post

Send me the measurements and i will check my inventory. I am a dealer for Smooth Drag. I can also make them in any size and thickness.

Keith

Plus I am cheap..!!

Edited by handi2

1 hour ago, handi2 said:

Send me the measurements and i will check my inventory. I am a dealer for Smooth Drag. I can also make them in any size and thickness.

Keith

Plus I am cheap..!!

I ordered some before i saw this, thank you for the offer

On 4/4/2020 at 4:59 PM, Mark Ham said:

Got these and did them yesterday ,seems like a big improvement. 

20200411_091609.jpg

If it has a plastic bearing leave it. It works and will save you from changing the bearing twice a year. Stainless steel bearings are 440 stainless steel. Highly magnetic.

4 mins ago, handi2 said:

If it has a plastic bearing leave it. It works and will save you from changing the bearing twice a year. Stainless steel bearings are 440 stainless steel. Highly magnetic.

Ok thank you i will leave it as is.