t0phtrt

Tatoo spooks weighting

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

From the 2 i had to rewire there was  some lead flashing wrapped around the wire at the back, but i can't remember how much.

Gotta imagine there’s a chin weight in there too Chris . What’s ya trying to make  the pup or the large ? I think I got a large in one my totes I can dig up 

I got a pup. Yea looks like tail weight + belly weight in front of the swivel? The center of balance is about 2.5” from tail on 5.5” plug. 

1 hour ago, bassmaster said:

be easy if you figured out the weighting your self,  make 1 plug float it and work at it till you get what you want........

thank u for the motivational slap on the bum, coach.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just turned two spooks that I only used a center weight. Curious to see how they swim. I'm confused a bit when folks talk about a tail weight in a spook as I always thought you want that bum to wiggle and with no lip, it seems counter intuitive to put a weight where you want a wiggle. The best part of the process, for me anyway, is building stuff and experimenting to see what it does ! Although more wires, swivels, grommets , etc. end up attached to little pieces of wood in my trash can than surf bag !!!  :laugh:

Edited by Mandoborg

There are many ways to weight a spook. 

I just turned a sea pup and the weighting I tried gave me the same center and 2 oz on the dot. Used AYC. Medium tail weight (.35 oz) and belly weight (.35 oz) just in front of the swivel. 

How does it sit in the water? Same angle?

11 mins ago, t0phtrt said:

There are many ways to weight a spook. 

I just turned a sea pup and the weighting I tried gave me the same center and 2 oz on the dot. Used AYC. Medium tail weight (.35 oz) and belly weight (.35 oz) just in front of the swivel. 

14 hours ago, t0phtrt said:

thank u for the motivational slap on the bum, coach.

welp u could cut one open, or do a side by side with yours, till its the same , do u have a nice Bum :D

On 4/4/2020 at 2:37 PM, Wire For Fire said:

I have ones only tail weighted ive made that still spook .. but alil chin weight added really made them shine 

That's been my experience, too

Don’t have a Tattoo spook, but noticed that the Doc has weights about 2” from the tail and half way between the nose and the belly hook. Hard to beat the way they walk.