Aaron Barmmer

What artificial did you BEACH your biggest striper on?

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

If we're talking the biggest then probably one of these two. Not sure of the exact sizes but they were both decent fish with fat stomach's. Both swam away unharmed. One on a bucktail/pork combo and one on a rigged slug go. 

20200404_041956.jpg.7bd282af9cad5c14747a8abb80716b63.jpg

20200404_043605.jpg.b46e14a699f91fa02a8827f3f00358af.jpg

If we were talking the fish I'm proudest of then its probably this girl.  A decent bass from a heavy Nor Easter the last week of October two seasons ago. I started fishing at around 9pm that night and didn't get a touch until around 4 am.  Two decent fish back to back in pounding surf and sideways rain. She hit a custom painted Northbar bottle darter.

20200404_042521.jpg.76a980ecb44eb6529f97f3d4fbd943ef.jpg

Both of my mid 30# class fish took a black sluggo, on a windless slack tide night. There's something about fishing an unweighted sluggo on glass like water that makes me excited lol. 

21 mins ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Both of my mid 30# class fish took a black sluggo, on a windless slack tide night. There's something about fishing an unweighted sluggo on glass like water that makes me excited lol. 

Black sluggo at 3AM:):):)heaven

3 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

If we're talking the biggest then probably one of these two. Not sure of the exact sizes but they were both decent fish with fat stomach's. Both swam away unharmed. One on a bucktail/pork combo and one on a rigged slug go. 

20200404_041956.jpg.7bd282af9cad5c14747a8abb80716b63.jpg

20200404_043605.jpg.b46e14a699f91fa02a8827f3f00358af.jpg

If we were talking the fish I'm proudest of then its probably this girl.  A decent bass from a heavy Nor Easter the last week of October two seasons ago. I started fishing at around 9pm that night and didn't get a touch until around 4 am.  Two decent fish back to back in pounding surf and sideways rain. She hit a custom painted Northbar bottle darter.

20200404_042521.jpg.76a980ecb44eb6529f97f3d4fbd943ef.jpg

I remember reading about that fish on the bottom Cal, cause i fished that same night and froze my arzz off, for a skunk! Great job!

8 hours ago, webfoot44 said:

Parrot SS darter. 

Love that plug!   I beached 3 slobs in a row last season on a cloudless full moon night in shallow water!! 

3BD487C7-528C-4E2E-A003-04C4CDE971F3.png

My two biggest fish were caught on Cotten cordell Pencils. Biggest was 47” @ 38lb November 2015 Fire Island. The Cotten cordell is my #1 go to lure in all conditions, any time of year. They are loud and Bass hate them and even if fish doesn’t take it, they will swirl on it and you can locate fish with it. They cast well. You can load them too. 

can't really say which of the 48/49 inch fish that i havecaught off the beach were the heaviest as they all went back.several were caught on a yellow /white danny,several on a mini conrad,yellow over white,and several on a yellow white needle fish all of them made by me.this fish was the most memorable,caught june 1st 2009.steady 35 to 40mph SWwind pouring rain.i was with my son,my buudy Steve and his freind.i had a danny on and started to catch fish all in the 40 inch class,my son had a needle on couldnt hook up Steve had a rigged sluggo on couldn't hook up,not sure what the other guy had on. i had 2 other dannies in my bag that i gave to my son and steve and then they began to catch ,Steves freindtried everything without luck.for about 4 hrs if you could hit the water you had a good fish on.Steves freind never caught a fish that night.

wood end.jpg

3 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

can't really say which of the 48/49 inch fish that i havecaught off the beach were the heaviest as they all went back.several were caught on a yellow /white danny,several on a mini conrad,yellow over white,and several on a yellow white needle fish all of them made by me.this fish was the most memorable,caught june 1st 2009.steady 35 to 40mph SWwind pouring rain.i was with my son,my buudy Steve and his freind.i had a danny on and started to catch fish all in the 40 inch class,my son had a needle on couldnt hook up Steve had a rigged sluggo on couldn't hook up,not sure what the other guy had on. i had 2 other dannies in my bag that i gave to my son and steve and then they began to catch ,Steves freindtried everything without luck.for about 4 hrs if you could hit the water you had a good fish on.Steves freind never caught a fish that night.

wood end.jpg

Sounds like you like yellow over white. Must be awesome to catch big fish on your own wood!   June SW wind big weather!  Sounds like a epic night in a epic place! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am not sure which was the biggest and which was not but most of my big fish have came on bucktails. A few on Super Strike Needles, and a good amount on SS darters. One that I always thought may have been my biggest fish cam on a Long A bomber, never weighted her though. 

HI John! 

Edited by Billwetzel

whats up Bill,going nuts here in VT,no skiing,not even skinning up as of Thursday.On a positive note the family is all still healthy,hope yours is too.Might even get back to LI in july for my sisters 80th birthday,if this virus gets under controll.

24 mins ago, Billwetzel said:

I am not sure which was the biggest and which was not but most of my big fish have came on bucktails. A few on Super Strike Needles, and a good amount on SS darters. One that I always thought may have been my biggest fish cam on a Long A bomber, never weighted her though. 

HI John! 

I love the simplicity of bucktails and found I have a much better hookup ratio with them over plugs with trebles.

I know this is a biggest fish caught thread but I am pretty certain I lost my largest bass on a bucktail in October 2013.  I was fishing along side a bridge that was known to hold some very large fish.  I was fishing around sunset with an outgoing tide that was slowing.  I had an 1.5 white Andrus Bucktail with a 70-S Pork Rind so it was a pretty big profile.  At the end of my cast I felt a thump and that was it.  I was stuck or at least I thought I was.  At first I remember thinking I was caught on an underwater cable where I would pull to get it unstuck and it seemed to pull back but not really move.  I later recall my rod tip shaking.  At this point I'm thinking it was probably a big skate which I was annoyed by because I didn't feel like getting into a tug of war and then having to break off and re-knot.  Shortly thereafter the fish starts taking line slowly and now I can start feeling really big head shakes.  I now realize this is a very big bass.  She then runs in with me, makes a b line for the bridge and breaks me off. 

I was seriously under gunned but to put it into perspective I fished that location the night before Sandy hit and caught a 43" bass in the same exact spot with a tropical storm/full moon current and I was able to turn her when she went for the bridge.  I never gained an inch of line on this fish.  I had to take a Xanax to put me to bed that night.  My wife couldn't understand why I was so upset.  I told her the fishery was in decline and that fish like this were going to become even more rare for surf fishermen like me.  That fish still bothers me to this day and most likely always will.

11 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

you earned the fish !! . . thanks  for the grin 

You bet. Here's the fish. Revived for 5 min before taking this quick pic. She swam off with a nice tail slap...

IMG_0210 - Copy.JPEG