Mainiac

Flats Flounder

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

enhance

6/7 inches long and 3 inches wide. A simple tie using S.F. fibers tied 90 degrees to hook shank with a bronze mallrd flank feather for a tail. Used a four inch piece of skinny zip tie to anchor tail to 5/o hook. Eyes are large silver/black 3d glued on. underneath are large lead dumbell for weight.

I plan to drag it across the sand on a sinking tip line. Just made it so unsure on it's fishability. ought to grab their attention.

52 mins ago, Mainiac said:

enhance

6/7 inches long and 3 inches wide. A simple tie using S.F. fibers tied 90 degrees to hook shank with a bronze mallrd flank feather for a tail. Used a four inch piece of skinny zip tie to anchor tail to 5/o hook. Eyes are large silver/black 3d glued on. underneath are large lead dumbell for weight.

I plan to drag it across the sand on a sinking tip line. Just made it so unsure on it's fishability. ought to grab their attention.

Looks fine.Test it.Put some water in the tub or sink,plastic tub.Tie on a piece of line and tank test.I went to one of the discount type stores and got a garment storage tub that you slide under the bed.It's almst 3' long and you can fill that with 3" water too.That way the queen doesn't make your life miserable.Also,I hosted a tying session in my shop with some club members back in January.One of the guys showed off an idea he had with taking the lead dumbell eye and tapping it flat on the bench vise.Then tying it to the hook in the same manner OR along the shaft for a slimmer profile type fly.Also,you can add more flattened eyes for more weight if you need it.I thought it was a brilliant idea.

Looks nice. Only suggestion might be tie one on a jig hook. I think you’ll find it swims better. I’d also consider throwing it on a intermed line so it will swim up off the bottom before settling back just likes real one might wile feeding.