hurricane1091

Need help for a striper/drum boat rod

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, gonna gonna be in a small boat in the Delaware river and Delaware Bay fishing for stripers and drum here and there. I know what I need from the surf but need some help here. I wouldn't anticipate using more than 6 oz + bait. Probably less than that usually. Looking for conventional. $300 or so all together.

I was looking at some of the St Croix rods like the mojo cat and musky. The mojo salt conventional would work but it's heavy. But I'm clueless here. I don't want to be underpowered. I have no idea how to pair q conventional reel either. I prefer abu Garcia and Penn reels. I'm not married to any brands though.

Thanks boys!

No need to get fancy.  Diawa beefstick and a squidder or one of the other penn reels.  You are not usually casting just lobbing clams for drum 

I’m a fan of the tsunami trophy jigging rods and slow pitch jigging rods. Priced right, lightweight but with plenty of backbone. They have plenty of size and weight options so you should be able to find one that works

Lamiglass inshore black are great rods and affordable. I use the spinning ones so can only speak on those but they have lots of conventional options too. lots of options out there but I’ve been happy with those.  Also have liked all tsunami rods and their warrantee/customer service was great when I did break one. 

I also use shimano rods (trevala I believe) and they make everything price range and sizes you could want. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, striperpole1 said:

Lamiglass inshore black are great rods and affordable. I use the spinning ones so can only speak on those but they have lots of conventional options too. lots of options out there but I’ve been happy with those.  Also have liked all tsunami rods and their warrantee/customer service was great when I did break one. 

I also use shimano rods (trevala I believe) and they make everything price range and sizes you could want. 

The lamiglas black looks good actually. 2-8 oz lure rating should surely handle find throwing off 6-8oz off the boat in 25-50 ft of water eh? Or would the 3-12 oz be better? 

Edited by hurricane1091

3 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

The lamiglas black looks good actually. 2-8 oz lure rating should surely handle find throwing off 6-8oz off the boat in 25-50 ft of water eh? Or would the 3-12 oz be better? 

I haven’t used the conventional, but the spinning rods I use 1-4oz and pitch macs with.  I’m not heaving them by any means. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I would not count on the De Bay black drum season this year........

Any reason why? I've only done it once and it was fun but it was one time 2 years ago.

I know you mentioned conventional......

I do great with spinning setups.   Not sure what penn combos are there for conventional, but their fierce and spinfisher series spinning reels come with decent boat rods....

You can get 2 for $300 there.

FYI, there are some nasty shallows that make some real big rip tides if you get in the wrong place in the delaware out front.....  Also, make sure you have a real tall and bright masthead light too.  I fish with a deep V and an inflatable at times out that ways.

Lamiglas Black rod on a Penn Squall 20 and you're under your price point ($250 w/tax). You have a decent setup there.

or

Tsunami Trophy on an Abu Garcia C3-6500 Striper Special if you want a Garcia.

Put more money into the reel. You can buy a plenty decent rod for $100 and under. 

13 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

I’m a fan of the tsunami trophy jigging rods and slow pitch jigging rods. Priced right, lightweight but with plenty of backbone. They have plenty of size and weight options so you should be able to find one that works

Do jigging rods work well for bottom rig fishing as well? I'm looking for a similar setup.

1 hour ago, hurricane1091 said:

Any reason why? I've only done it once and it was fun but it was one time 2 years ago.

Season is usually around now to mid may.  With the covid-19 sheet who knows.  I have been doing it for over 30 years and i think this year will be my 1st time not going

23 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Do jigging rods work well for bottom rig fishing as well? I'm looking for a similar setup.

I don’t see why not. Jigging rods tend to have a faster action at the tip to impart some action to the jig. But there is plenty of lifting power.  

if you want something with a little more moderate tip action, tsunami also has their airwave elite braid casting line of rods. That is a little steeper price-wise (130’s vs 90’s). I only have that in a 7’6” version for cod and other bottom fish but they do offer 6’6 and up.