Dreamland

Advice / Input on Suzuki Special Surf and Inshore Rods

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

HI all,

Would anyone have any advice or input on the Suzuki Special Surf 1002 and Suzuki Special Inshore 8001L (both 1/2 - 2 oz) or any rod that might be similar and near that $ range.  I fish both surf and Inshore regularly and was looking for a light-ish rated rod to throw lighter plastics and swimmers, but do not want to buy both yet.  Was wondering which one would be more versatile, have more backbone, be better suited to throw on the light end and what they are like on the heavier end.  Both will fit in my car.

I was leaning towards the 10’ but I have a little hesitation with a 50/50 split.  About 5 years ago, the top to my St. Croix 50/50 disappeared over the horizon along with my dignity.  That rod was 8 years old, and heavily used.

I did some checking and there were some similar questions, but it’s not like anyone is pressed for time these days.

Thanks for any responses.

Stay well and safe,

Tom

Posted (edited) · Report post

have both. both are nice rods. my only complaint about the 8ft is the butt is a lil short for my liking but thats probably just me. only threw .5-1.5oz on the 8ft and it performed nicely. love the 10ft but might be a little big for certain areas. threw .5-2oz and handled it nicely. he has some more suzuki specials in the works for the in between sizes that might work better if your just looking for just one. but with everything going on who knows when well see em.

Edited by codyk35

I used my 10 for the surf or anywhere from the beach targeting bass blues and albies. I use the 8’ for same from boat. 

10 has more bend and can cast farther. 8 is stouter overall.

1 hour ago, Mbrody said:

I used my 10 for the surf or anywhere from the beach targeting bass blues and albies. I use the 8’ for same from boat. 

10 has more bend and can cast farther. 8 is stouter overall.

Good info, I would have thought that the 8', being a one piece, would have had a better bend.

1 hour ago, codyk35 said:

have both. both are nice rods. my only complaint about the 8ft is the butt is a lil short for my liking but thats probably just me. only threw .5-1.5oz on the 8ft and it performed nicely. love the 10ft but might be a little big for certain areas. threw .5-2oz and handled it nicely. he has some more suzuki specials in the works for the in between sizes that might work better if your just looking for just one. but with everything going on who knows when well see em.

I will probably pick up the other half way into the season.  Nice to know others are in the works.

13 hours ago, Dreamland said:

or any rod that might be similar and near that $ range.

Check out Okuma Rockaway, 10'

Rated 1/2 to 2oz

5 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Check out Okuma Rockaway, 10'

Rated 1/2 to 2oz

Okuma rockaway is an excellent choice for the money. I would also recommend ODM DNA, which is a little stiffer then the okuma rockaway but not by much.

Edited by CrashHard23

17 hours ago, Dreamland said:

Good info, I would have thought that the 8', being a one piece, would have had a better bend.

It is funny, they feel like very different rods. The 10' is much more noodly - very light tip that is sensitive and bends deep - and I loved it for that. I could bomb a SP Minnow and slam a 10+lb blue fish and fight it in current, albeit with a BIG bend in the rod. Never failed me though. The 8', with the same lure weight range, feels much stouter. Two different rods for sure. 

Interesting how the 10' and 8' rods, both moderate fast action and rated 1/2 to 2oz have those differences.  I would have thought it would have been opposite for stoutness, especially with a 10' two piece ro.   Does the bottom half of Surf Special (10') have some flex?

Thanks also for the heads up on the Okuma rod, looks like they have an 11 footer in that rating too.  Great information!

I had looked at the ODM DNA  and almost bought it.  Unfortunately it had an odd fit in my car when it was together, and even apart because of the 5'5'" section.  It has a great feel though.

Bottom half of SS 10 has some bend, but nothing like the top. It is a very unique rod. Nothing like a DNA. Not like the suzuki 8 or 9 6.

Think of the Suzuki 10 as a spinning rod that behaves like a fly rod for casting lighter lures. It’s not a rod I want to throw a 2oz bucktail in heavy surf...tip bends too much with that. 

4 hours ago, Mbrody said:

Bottom half of SS 10 has some bend, but nothing like the top. It is a very unique rod. Nothing like a DNA. Not like the suzuki 8 or 9 6.

Think of the Suzuki 10 as a spinning rod that behaves like a fly rod for casting lighter lures. It’s not a rod I want to throw a 2oz bucktail in heavy surf...tip bends too much with that. 

Most of my fishing is with Albie Snax, plastics up to 1.5oz, bare Sluggos and SP minnows/darters.  This sounds like a rod that can get them out there.  Will most likely be pairing it with a Cabo 50 or 40 PTSe.

5 hours ago, Mbrody said:

1 hour ago, Dreamland said:

Most of my fishing is with Albie Snax, plastics up to 1.5oz, bare Sluggos and SP minnows/darters.  This sounds like a rod that can get them out there.  Will most likely be pairing it with a Cabo 50 or 40 PTSe.

Building a conventional with 10' and find it is a great rod for lighter stuff like minnow. Tried some tins, bucktails to 1.5 Oz which casted pretty good.

It could been nicer as a surf rod if it was tad bit stiffer a foot above and below the joints but still casts pretty good enough. It proly will work well for the boat fishing as is.

Definitely great for Macs, perches and schoolies that are here at West Coast.

Edited by Gundalba