jjdbike

Split shot on small crank / jerk bait?

68 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

With the current situation I'm forced to refocus efforts to local small fresh water streams and rivers.

I enjoy C & R trout and smallmouth. I want to try some new lures this year. For one, I want to try tossing small jerk or crank baits like the Yo-Zuir Pins Minnow and Leland trout Magnet Crank. See photos attached. Like I said, this is my 1st time using these in freshwater streams for trout and smallmouth. My recent challenge is that in some faster deeper pools that they did not swim deep enough. My question is, do these things fish well w/ split shot in front of them ad if so, how far out in front would you place it?

Respectfully,

JD

57E7588C-C3CE-43CF-B078-B99EA9438546_4_5005_c.jpeg

73FDC2F8-7FB1-4649-BB76-713B5F55D968_4_5005_c.jpeg

Hey JJ,

A carolina rig is often used for this. 

You would do a leader of 18" to 24 inches to a swivel and then on the other end of the swivel, on the main line use a sliding sinker, like an egg or even a bullet worm type sinker. It casts a bit wonky, but doable. Consider small spinners like mepps and rooster tails.

Also how deep are we talking?

Small to tiny jigs like trout magnets, fished with or without a float work well, and small 1-3inch twister tail grubs for small mouth work great.

If it's a tough day and nothings biting, a float with a worm will

catch it all, and I won't tell anyone.:wave:

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

My recent challenge is that in some faster deeper pools that they did not swim deep enough.

You could pick up a couple heavy sinking minnow plugs made for current. 

@Beachglass Guru posted he had luck using the Duo Spearhead Ryuki. 

RYUKI50S_ADA4071.jpg

16 mins ago, Inshore said:

Same “problem”.... My solution 

C368B90E-98E2-4CB8-AD87-E031654997A4.jpeg

67197787-1DF5-4CE2-B616-591C2B98D21F.jpeg

A8DE726E-5ABB-4CBA-B750-3B58E746E8E2.jpeg

Wow, cool. Never saw those. Do they negatively impact the action?

Thanks!

12 mins ago, buddha162 said:

RYUKI50S_ADA4071.jpg

Thanks man, never saw one of those . Where might one find these?

JD

12 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks man, never saw one of those . Where might one find these?

Ebay, search "DUO Spearhead Ryuki." Sizes in mm, from 38s to 90s (s = sinking). 

I fish lipped baits alot for trout and smallmouth. You can fish the tiny stuff for trout but what I've found is the roll out of those small plugs suck. You can pinch shot ahead of them. I rig a small high quality barrel swivel 12" to 18" between my running line and leader. Ether with braid or in real clear water I still use mono. Pinch the shot in front of the swivel.

Anymore all I throw larger plugs for trout and smallmouth. Whether floating, suspending, or countdown. They track better and dont roll out. 

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Wow, cool. Never saw those. Do they negatively impact the action?

All it does is “sink” the lure. Has no impact on action from what I can tell.

On both that Husky Jerk and Pins Minner one strip suspends them at about 1’.....

I have always done very well with the Rapala Countdown in rivers for trout and smallmouth. I mostly use the 2" size. You can experiment with different colors but black and white works most of the time.

Yo zuri  has 
floating 

suspending 

sinking  
3 types.  Don’t alway see the sinking ones on the shelf? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love those little Pin's Minnows! Great lure to use! I agree with what Seakarp said about the C rig. That's what I would try. I've done that with the Pin's Minnows, but only using an 1/8 or 3/16 oz worm weight. 

I've used those suspend dots & strips too on larger lures, but never tried it with the small Pin's minnows. 

I still use the Husky Jerk's, and the smaller sizes work well in streams & rivers. 

Otherwise, if the waters deep and has some current, I would try a small hair or marabou jig, but I'm very partial to hair jigs anyway. I tie a lot of hair jigs for bass & walleye. They're popular with Steelhead anglers too, so will work for smaller trout. 

1173a.jpg

0763.jpg

1160.jpg

1161.jpg

1162.jpg

1163.jpg

Edited by Jim H

16 hours ago, buddha162 said:

RYUKI50S_ADA4071.jpg

Thanks Buddha,

Cool little dude. The Yo-Zuri Pins minnow isn't cheap, but a bargain as compared to this.

I may take a chance on one. I gotta say, if this thing snags up on a rock or tree in a deep pool, for 16 - 19 bucks plus shipping, I'm going swimming after it.

13 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

I fish lipped baits alot for trout and smallmouth. You can fish the tiny stuff for trout but what I've found is the roll out of those small plugs suck. You can pinch shot ahead of them. I rig a small high quality barrel swivel 12" to 18" between my running line and leader. Ether with braid or in real clear water I still use mono. Pinch the shot in front of the swivel.

Anymore all I throw larger plugs for trout and smallmouth. Whether floating, suspending, or countdown. They track better and dont roll out. 

Interesting Heycreek.

Can you add some specifics please? E.g, do you not like the 1 1/2 - 2" and prefer more like 2 1/2 - 3 1/2"? Specifically what lipped baits do you like for trout & small mouth in creeks and streams?

10 hours ago, ccb said:

Yo zuri  has 
floating 

suspending 

sinking  
3 types.  Don’t alway see the sinking ones on the shelf? 

Yes the sinking ones are not easy to find.

46 mins ago, Jim H said:

I love those little Pin's Minnows! Great lure to use! I agree with what Seakarp said about the C rig. That's what I would try. I've done that with the Pin's Minnows, but only using an 1/8 or 3/16 oz worm weight. 

I've used those suspend dots & strips too on larger lures, but never tried it with the small Pin's minnows. 

I still use the Husky Jerk's, and the smaller sizes work well in streams & rivers. 

Otherwise, if the waters deep and has some current, I would try a small hair or marabou jig, but I'm very partial to hair jigs anyway. I tie a lot of hair jigs for bass & walleye. They're popular with Steelhead anglers too, so will work for smaller trout. 

1173a.jpg

0763.jpg

1160.jpg

1161.jpg

1162.jpg

1163.jpg

Thanks Jim!

Yes I do like the action of the Pins, gonna search out the sinking ones.

Man oh man those jigs are sweet! I especially like the one below the dark jig w/ hair / hackle combo, the buggy looking one w/ legs. That looks like it could imply so many different creatures. I'll bet it would catch a variety of fish including pan fish.

JD