April 2020 Skunk only report thread

Rate this topic

adobo

doing my social distance fishing spots i never considered before. This one is very tide dependent to access the area without a boat.

Ended up finally breaking the skunk for April, 1st fish with the new sage 10 weight. Nice fat 30 incher. Was surprised only one as  the dropping tide upon this shelf looked like it should produce more. Still happy. Cold wind today for sure. 

I must say its crazy reading this thread and seeing guys write over and over that they " fished out front" or " Plugged the surf"....

You guys are wasting your time fishing the ocean surf right now / you might as well be fishing in your tubs. The water is too cold!

The fish and action is in the backbays and estuariest now just like every early season bites.  Go fish those warmer waters heated up by mudflat exposure making the bay water sometimes several degrees warmer. 

There are no fish out front yet and the action will be outback &  in the inlets until the surf hits atleast 55 degrees. 

3 hours ago, jsbergen said:

I must say its crazy reading this thread and seeing guys write over and over that they " fished out front" or " Plugged the surf"....

You guys are wasting your time fishing the ocean surf right now / you might as well be fishing in your tubs. The water is too cold!

The fish and action is in the backbays and estuariest now just like every early season bites.  Go fish those warmer waters heated up by mudflat exposure making the bay water sometimes several degrees warmer. 

There are no fish out front yet and the action will be outback &  in the inlets until the surf hits atleast 55 degrees. 

Up here it’s real tough. Before the closures I was lighting it up. Was running out of bait every night. Now access is the problem. Most of the RB bayshore is off limits. SA, Old Bridge, Keyport, UB, etc closed all waterfront parks. There’s spots here and there. I found one spot but it is sooooooo shallow. Hope this all blows over soon

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, we're going down

17 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

I’m hoping this is the beginning of the end of a report thread altogether, it has ruined so many places to the point of me just giving up on them

We have been saying this for years.  It will not happen. 

clicks equal money.  Its basic internet math. 

Also posting yak fish is lame.  Yeah we know there are big fish on the yak.  Thats not a surprise fellas.   

21 mins ago, Goldy said:

We have been saying this for years.  It will not happen. 

clicks equal money.  Its basic internet math. 

Also posting yak fish is lame.  Yeah we know there are big fish on the yak.  Thats not a surprise fellas.   

Its not always easy for yak fishermen....

i9H4Y6L3qqlTG.gif

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

(*member formerly known as 'adoboboy')

18 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

Facebook pros, instagram heroes, YouTube rainbow riders and elite cellphone fisherman have ruined the sport. Narrowing it down to a county at most, (which some here don’t even do) is only an insignificant sliver of the problem IMO.

With all due respect, you do most of that, and you're new to the sport. I don't mean to be speak out of place, but you post a lot. This report thread ending would be one of the best thing to happen for surfcasting in a long time. This sport was for more enjoyable 10+ years ago and back. 

On 4/17/2020 at 8:52 PM, Sevendust111 said:

So my son caught his second keeper and our biggest fish yet at about 32” at the Bayshore. As I have fished hard this spring I have a few observations and some advice.

I see have seen tons of guys plugging during the day and very few brought in. Is this typical? Are plugs more for the night bite at the Bayshore? 

I see a lot of guys fishing fish finder rigs with worms. I have one rod that gets a fish finder and the other I use a hi-lo worm rig. Hi low catches more at a rate of 2:1. Also when presented with a blood worm on top and a sandworm on the bottom, sand worm catches at a rate of 2:1. Plus I never gut hook with hi low.

9F46D813-12DF-49CF-B645-E49CEB7EFA8F.jpeg

You can certainly catch many/quality fish on plugs right now, in fact the plug bite turned on over a month ago, which was sort of an anomaly.  Learning plugs instead of bait has quite a learning curve; some of the guys you’re seeing plug amongst the bait soakers might be on the lower end of that curve. Everyone has to start somewhere.   Night is certainly going to be more effective time to plug fish as fish are much more comfortable in shallow water under the cover of darkness.  That’s not to say you can’t catch a fish on a plug in broad daylight, I’m sure many are.  But your talking different magnitudes of numbers of fish caught at night vs day close to shore this time of year.  

2 hours ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

I’m not judging I’m just stating a fact. Just because I only have 85 posts doesn’t mean I just started fishing haha. It means that I don’t report and post pics 

But you were judging Local24 by saying he was posting a lot....who the hell cares, it's his right to post as frequently or infrequently with as much or little detail (within the thread rules) as he wants in a thread that encourages fishing reports of any kind.

Edited by GeoffT

5 hours ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

With all due respect, you do most of that, and you're new to the sport. I don't mean to be speak out of place, but you post a lot. This report thread ending would be one of the best thing to happen for surfcasting in a long time. This sport was for more enjoyable 10+ years ago and back. 

Understand that what I say is with zero due respect. I don’t know you nor care too.
Most of that? You stalking me on IG or FB? A few people on here follow me. Your talking out of your arse.

i haven’t missed a spring or fall bass season in N of 15 years. So I again I have to reiterate, your talking out of your arse. 
Congrats tho, I do post here. Ya got me. :howdy:

too keep within the whole posting reports rule...fish were caught recently...

EFB295BA-D655-4FF0-B34F-328A4BC5D447.jpeg

• Sudsy locked this topic