adoboboy

April 2020 Skunk only report thread

Rate this topic

495 posts in this topic

So my son caught his second keeper and our biggest fish yet at about 32” at the Bayshore. As I have fished hard this spring I have a few observations and some advice.

I see have seen tons of guys plugging during the day and very few brought in. Is this typical? Are plugs more for the night bite at the Bayshore? 

I see a lot of guys fishing fish finder rigs with worms. I have one rod that gets a fish finder and the other I use a hi-lo worm rig. Hi low catches more at a rate of 2:1. Also when presented with a blood worm on top and a sandworm on the bottom, sand worm catches at a rate of 2:1. Plus I never gut hook with hi low.

9F46D813-12DF-49CF-B645-E49CEB7EFA8F.jpeg

8 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

So my son caught his second keeper and our biggest fish yet at about 32” at the Bayshore. As I have fished hard this spring I have a few observations and some advice.

I see have seen tons of guys plugging during the day and very few brought in. Is this typical? Are plugs more for the night bite at the Bayshore? 

I see a lot of guys fishing fish finder rigs with worms. I have one rod that gets a fish finder and the other I use a hi-lo worm rig. Hi low catches more at a rate of 2:1. Also when presented with a blood worm on top and a sandworm on the bottom, sand worm catches at a rate of 2:1. Plus I never gut hook with hi low.

Once the water temps warm up a bit they will be more active and start hitting plugs. Right now it's still a consistent worm bite. Soon the big girls are gunna find all the bunker on our bayshores and its game on. Get a plugging setup ready for the little and tell him to hold on tight!!

7 mins ago, mike07gsxr said:

Once the water temps warm up a bit they will be more active and start hitting plugs. Right now it's still a consistent worm bite. Soon the big girls are gunna find all the bunker on our bayshores and its game on. Get a plugging setup ready for the little and tell him to hold on tight!!

That’s what I thought but I figured it would have picked up by now in April. Guess it has been cold lately though. I bought an 8’ Tica Surge and a Penn Fierce 3 4000 for myself to plug but he told me it’s his now so I guess I’m in the market for another set up.

23 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

kids getting spoiled! great fish

11 hours ago, bdowning said:

I excel at fishstancing...creating distance between me and the fish. :freak:

so are you saying we should continue the skunk thread for May?:worms:

2 hours ago, adoboboy said:

so are you saying we should continue the skunk thread for May?:worms:

What happened to the same person posting the monthly report every month? Now it's just a race to see who does it first on top of joke?

2 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

What happened to the same person posting the monthly report every month? Now it's just a race to see who does it first on top of joke?

Give the guy a break. He can't catch fish, so taking this away might just put him over the edge! :wee:

Plug bite still consistent in spite of the water temp a tick under 50.  Keepers to 33” on rubber shads with jig head.  

1E08EC07-D40F-4279-B043-0DED11CBBA62.jpeg

I thought this was a skunk only thread why is everyone catching fish XD. Went fishing at the east river near home yesterday and managed a sub 20 inch fish lets just say the bite was extremely subtle and difficult for me to detect. No pics the fish was back in the water within 10 seconds. The shakespeare alpha bigwater and daiwa df100a I bought just winched the fish in the downside is you can barely detect smaller fish biting on a setup that beefy and fishing 50LB mono mainline does not help. Going Sunday again when it warms up the cold on the east river along with wind kills the bite.

4 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

I’m hoping this is the beginning of the end of a report thread altogether, it has ruined so many places to the point of me just giving up on them

9 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

I’m hoping this is the beginning of the end of a report thread altogether, it has ruined so many places to the point of me just giving up on them

Facebook pros, instagram heroes, YouTube rainbow riders and elite cellphone fisherman have ruined the sport. Narrowing it down to a county at most, (which some here don’t even do) is only an insignificant sliver of the problem IMO.

Posted (edited) · Report post

yes at the same time, we are a state of 9million people. Nyc is right around the same. Lets say 1% of that population fishes..thats 180,000 people into fishing. Even if you halve that amount thats a ton of people on limited shoreline. Insta dont help but if u really want solitude, you probably have to find another state because this is the nature of tri state area fishen. Best combatant of it, weekdays before or after work and nights. Even if you went back to the pre .com era, places were often jammed. 

Edited by joefishnj21

1 hour ago, Local24 SSP said:

Facebook pros, instagram heroes, YouTube rainbow riders and elite cellphone fisherman have ruined the sport. Narrowing it down to a county at most, (which some here don’t even do) is only an insignificant sliver of the problem IMO.

Don’t forget about the dik sledders.....