salt deficient

Anybody hit the Hudson yesterday?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I went in a creek mouth by catskill NY.   I was hoping to catch a trout with rooster tails.  Usually a herring will whack one or atleast chase it within my sight.   Nothing yet.  Forgot my thermometer.

USGS in poughkeepsie is close.   I dont seem to have much luck over the years below 48 degrees.  It's 45 over there.......   

Not sure how much wandering south I want to go with corona virus, but I am tempted to launch down poughkeepsie early next week.

Was on the water in the lower Hudson valley for 4 hrs yesterday, going again Sunday.  Bass are around.

BD892220-09BB-4921-AE7F-B3D93CBC32C3.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

Time to harvest those immature , never spawned and never will rats!

Tell your legislator. NYS says it’s legal to take one fish daily between 18-28”! Whose harvesting anyway, I’ve released every fish I’ve caught this year.

Edited by cheech

You came, by airplane, from Florida to New York, on Tuesday, March 31st and instead of being home, in self-isolation, you are outside fishing.

I don't understand

7 hours ago, cheech said:

Was on the water in the lower Hudson valley for 4 hrs yesterday, going again Sunday.  Bass are around.

BD892220-09BB-4921-AE7F-B3D93CBC32C3.jpeg

What kind of fish is this?

Went armed with minnows and rooster tails at mouth of creek by catskill.

Smallmouth were on fire.  Landed 5, but could of landed 10 if I had someone with me.  Tough to get at a 10ft salmon rod.

Guy next to me caught 2 stripers on rubber jigs.  As per bait shop,  they're catching schoolies in kingston.

Think the run is gonna be 2 or 3 weeks early.  We will see if mother nature's agrees.   A lot of the spawn has to so with winter melt run offs and rain events.  River get muday and a bit cooler, bass hunker down.  Good clarity and temps, they keep going up.

Edited by salt deficient

On 4/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, pakalolo said:

Time to harvest those immature , never spawned and never will rats!

Read and weep the NYS regulations are just stupid. We will never get the bass population back if the regulations are as lax as they are.

Personally.   I know alot of people who fish the hudson in the spring.  Many typical average joe fishermen catch several smaller fish, handle them improperly and too long, then just chuck em back.   A few will keep them on a string until they catch a nicer one.....

The folks who want a bass meal will be doing less damage with this regulation......

I'm in the river almost daily.......  But, keep two or three.  Usually the ones who got gills bleeding.......

the local B&T near me have been selling blood worms since November non stop , just tells you what the locals have been doing , yes there have been a few stop & frisk with good results above & below the new cuomo br. 

Edited by Hook I