sfsteel

Inshore Spinning Reel Recommendation?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

What do folks think about a Stradic FL 3000 (this one keeps getting suggested to me by everyone) paired with a St. Criox Tidemaster MHF 7' ? TIS70MHF.  Its actually the same ones suggested above... My friend has two he is willing to trade for some other gear i have. 

Would 3000 be sufficient? I dont want to go too heavy but also want the reel to generally match the rod... 

I don't have that rod but most of the rods I use are 7' long.  3k would be fine.  I use between a 3k, 4k or 5k depending on the brand of reel.  The only inshore fish you are likely to catch that is going to take a lot of line up north is false albie and a good brand name 3k reel is fine for that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Quantum Smoke Inshore PT30 there are smoking deals on ebay all the time.  If you can find the previous generation Quantum Smoke Inshore Speedfreak, that is the one to get. 

I would also consider the Quantum Reliance at the lower price point.

Edited by animalbarrie

3000 size is good enough for boat fishing. You might make a few hundred casts on a day and a lighter reel matters. 

FWIW I use 10# fire line and it’s also good enough for throwing lures up to 1.5 oz or so. And it can be broken off if you fish structure. No fluoro leader, mono only (20-40#) mainly to have something to grab onto. I’m not crazy about knots - double uni or modified Albright both work. 

One notable tackle shop on LBI recommends a BG 3500, Saltist 3500 for improved corrosion and performance, and BG saltist is you like a compact reel. Notable reel guru says the saltist is not worth it , but has recently said it does provide better water sealing. The saltist. Reel holds a lot of line. Casts well. I used a BG3000 for two seasons and did hook into one unstoppable fish in a back bay. Thinking tuna or foul hooked cow nose ray. A 3000 is a very manageable size. Stradic has probably better cast ability. If you do go for Stradic I’d say get the newer one. They introduced newer technology inlcuding micro something or other that cuts down on noise. They will have carbon fiber drag down to the 3000. The older model only included carbon drag in their 5000. I have not used the Stradic Fl(disclaimer). I did use the Stradic 5000 with 15 LB braid and it really improved distance . It was a little noisy when reeling in. That’s why i suggested the newer Stradic. As I assume it’s quieter as that’s what they say in their literature. Tight lines. 

Edited by jeffapeikin
Added disclaimer and personal experience with Stradic FK 5000

I have “inshore” size reels by Penn (SSV & SSVI), Daiwa (BG, Fuego LT), and Shimano (Sahara and Stradic FK).  I like them all and use them all - BUT the smoothest casting and best line lay belongs to the Stradic FK hands down.  My next reel will be a 3000 Stradic FL.  OH

IMO the Shimano 3k size are pretty small and light for salt water, I have a 3k, 4K and 5k Stradics. I have a couple Quantum Cabo 40s as well which seem more like the 5k size Shimano, Shimano reels IMO are generally smaller and lighter than other brands. 

11 hours ago, Mangomania said:

I have a couple of 2500 Daiwa Ballistic reels I've used for trout and redfish for a couple of years and they perform very well.  You might also look at the Daiwa Saltist Back Bay LT which is aluminum frame.  Smallest size is 3000. 

Over the past 3 years I have been able to fish the Shimano Stradic Ci4+, Stradic FL, Daiwa Saltist Back Bay LT, and Ballistic LT reels in that time they have taken everything from Specks, Reds, Flounder, Striped Bass and even the occasional Cobia and Cownose Ray and haven't faltered. They are all great reels and you won't be regardless if you lean Shimano or Daiwa. With that being said I can't say enough about the LT lineup from Daiwa. They really are amazing reels. I have both 4000 and 5000 Ballistic LT reels and they are lighter, put out more drag yet feel more robust in compared to the Ci4+ or FL reels from Shimano of comparable size. When I got into something that outclassed the Ci4+ (Large Bull Red or Cownose Ray) I noticed that the neck of the frame tended to flex when I put power into the reel handles. The 3000 Saltist Back Bay LT is a great reel as well with the frame feeling a little more rigid than a comparable sized Ballistic LT but at the expense of weight and you can also find new Ballistic LT reels on eBay for the same price or less so I that instance I will personally lean towards the higher end reel (unless you just love the blacked-out look of the Back Bay, it took me a while to come around to the red/black motif of the Ballistic). With all that said I have made the decision this upcoming season to unload the Stradics Ci4+ and smaller FLs (I am keeping the 5000 FLs with the power handles for jigging) and replace them with Ballistic 4000 & 5000 LTs mated to St Croix Avid Inshore 7' Medium & Medium Light Power Fast action rods, for what its worth. 

reels.jpg.9ac6a3029bb253bd829a274461e8c2ab.jpg

Edited by Citadelfisher08

I pretty much strictly fish the reel sizes you’re looking for (3-5k) in harsh east coast salt conditions getting lots of spray and unfortunately not superb care from me.  Regardless, I am no longer buying Penns.  Too many issues.  I’ve got Battles and a Spinfisher, both have had problems exterior and interior.  I feel Shimano makes a superior reel.  The Nasci, Ultegra and classic Stradic are all buttery smooth and hold up better than Penns, as have my baitrunner (although you’re right they don’t cast well).  I’ve caught many 20 and even a few 30 lb bass on these reels, as well as pulled up my fair share of blackfish to 7 lb range.  The Quantum Cabo and Boca are also fantastic reels, I had one of those forever which I beat the hell out of and overloaded a 3k reel with multiple 30 pound fish.  Can’t speak to Daiwa BG but Alan Hawk loves em, and he tears those things down and reviews in depth.

as for a rod, the best deal in town is a Tsunami Classic for $70.  It casts equally as well as rods 2X and 3X the cost when the right size is being matched to the lure you’re using. 

Edited by stroipaHuntah

19 hours ago, sfsteel said:

you think M or MH ? If it werent for this stupid virus I'd run to the tackle shop and actually see for myself! 

I agree with your idea to check them out. I find the MH feels a little heavy with a Stradic 3000 FJ and might pair better with a 4000 from a balance POV.  The FK and FL are lighter than the FJ. 

Most of the time I’m not trying to heave a lure more than 50-75 feet so this allows the AIS70MF to throw a little more than an ounce plus a soft plastic or a light plug or metal. The TIS70MHF easily handles a 2 oz jig head plus 9” plastic. No experience with the TIS70MF. 

Edited by hookmeup